Hockey fans?

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
The shootout goal against Thomas was pretty funny to watch, though I despise the shootout as a game-decider. It was simply a matter of fatigue.

Difficult game to watch tonight. The B's made Holtby look like an all star. Glad it worked out the right way.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
That's a matter of opinion ;)

At least the Nats won their home opener today. Maybe this is the year they'll finally stop stinking...

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Well, Vokoun is on a one year deal... So odds are next year we have Neuvirth and Holtby in the NHL.

Heart breaker last night, but a record for the Caps. That was the first playoff game they took into overtime with a 0-0 score.

Last time they set that type of pitiful record was 1998 in the finals against Detroit. (The infamy of the only team to lose the cup in four games.)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, a strange day for DC sports. Lidge blew a save and Zimmerman couldn't field. Most of our team isn't hitting. Yet now we're leading our division. Oops, wrong sport.

My trilogy has the Caps being good and the Nats being bad. I may need to rewrite...

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
With a better defense in front of him, Holtby could be a very solid option in net. He's not bad, but too many shots come at him and he doesn't get enough help.

The Caps are close, but they're too interested in making the highlight play instead of putting in a solid game. They rely on a quick strike and can't play from behind. Ovechkin's hot dog attempt at the end of the game completely embodies this. He had a solid scoring chance that likely would have won the game but tried to be cute and cut the puck back through his feet and ended up losing it. Just take the shot and play the rebound, if possible.

If they keep it this close every game, this series could be awesome. Playoff hockey is so damn fun!

ETA: And be thankful that you have a baseball team that's supposed to be bad. The Sox are quickly becoming an embarassment.

Last edited:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Holtby has talent, just not a lot of experience.

Oh, don't get me started on Ovechkin.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Another (but more philosophical) question: if Sidney Crosby talks and no one listens, is he still a whiner?

It takes a lot for me to support the Flyers, but Sid and company are making it easy.

Too bad I can't see the Caps/Bruins game tonight; I have Nats tickets (a Strasburg night, should be fun). There's a bar with TVs overlooking the field. But the last Caps playoff game I spent there, it was crowded far beyond my comfort level. Maybe if we get there super-early and nab a couple of the few seats available?

Wait, we'll have to go early anyway -- many of the folks going to the Caps game will be on the same trains.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
That Pennsylmania game last night was disgusting and I can't get behind either team. It looked more like Letterman top ten listing of cheap shots than a hockey game, even when compared to the good old days.

Crosby has lost what little respect I had for him due to playing skills with his whining and cheapshot punches etc.

Is there some way both of these team can be eliminated in the first round?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I fault the Pens a lot more for last night. The Flyers reacted badly, true, but the Pens were really pushing buttons. The worst was leaving Neal on the ice after he committed the cheap shot. If the Pens coach had any sense, he would have sat Neal for a couple of shifts, at least. Really, he should have sent him to the dressing room.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
It seems clear now that whichever team survives the Philly/Pitt series will likely not make it through the next round. Neither team has had anything resembling capable goaltending, and although Philly has been better, the defensive breakdowns on both sides have been horrifying.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
Getting kind of tired of the unrestricted violence in this season's playoffs. Real hockey fans understand the difference between hatred and violence in the game. Hockey should be physical, and big hits and fights are a great part of the game. It's almost essential to have a certain level of hate for your opponent in the playoffs. But the idiotic play and staggering number of cheap shots we're seeing this year is out of control.

The Torres hit on Hossa last night was ridiculous. He needs to get hammered by the league. It made me sick that Phoenix ended up winning that game.

The NHL needs to take a much harder stance on this stuff. It's plenty easy to play tough, hard-nose hockey without deliberately injuring players. I suggest any players suspended during the playoffs still take up a roster spot, and a suspension automatically makes that player ineligible to get his name on the cup.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
What was the one for St. Louis-San Jose?
I think I have it wrong. Perhaps what I heard was the only Eastern Conference series without a suspension was Devils-Panthers.

I've got my tickets for game five of that one, btw. Hopefully, it will be the last of the series...

TheBuckMopsHere

Just a dude with a song in his head
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.questionablesource.blogspot.com
Anyone think the Pens have a shot now? You've gotta think if they win in Philly, their odds are good in Pitt. Tough call, but it's been a great series. One game went off the rocker, but I think the refs have been much better since. For hockey refs anyway.

I have to say I'm happy the Predators beat the Wings too. No real reason to dislike the Wings other than I'm kind of sick of them always winning, but I dig the Predators. Cool team, cool colors. I hope they make it deep. Kinda easier to root for the playoffs when your team's out, but not nearly as fun (insert wah wahhh horn).

Gilroy Cullen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, so this weekend was ... weird in Caps land. Another split, with the away team taking the game. Really wanted to close out the Bruins at the Phonebooth, but oh well.

Sid the Sour Grape is gone. Philly got the better of the series. I see them gone next round due to lack of defense. Though that may have been a symptom of Pitt's play style.

Torres is GONE for 25 games. I love the added wording that if his team is eliminated, the suspension extends into next regular season with no preseason allowed. That I see as justice. I think the league needs to dole out more extended suspensions to make players really think about their hits. You have an 82 game season. Four games means so little compared to ten or 15. A concussion can take a player for the season or two. (Backstrom was gone 40. Sid was out a season and a half.) So how can a suspension only last five games for a hit that takes a player out for that long?

(sorry. Soap box was calling my name here...)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't just the Caps/Bruins series. The visiting teams overall have been winning considerably more than the home teams in the playoffs this year. I was just comforting a couple Canucks fans in another thread -- told them they could embrace the Caps now ;)

Thrilled about the Pens' elimination, even if it was the Flyers. They can fail in their next series.

Anybody think the Senators will be able to bump off the Rangers next?

TheBuckMopsHere

Just a dude with a song in his head
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.questionablesource.blogspot.com
Anybody think the Senators will be able to bump off the Rangers next?

I hope so. This Sens team is admirable in the way they've imposed their will on a more talented Rangers team. I said half way through the season that betting against the Rangers in the playoffs was a good play because they'd be a high seed that can't score goals - a recipe for disaster. Sure enough, that team really can't score goals. Let's hope that bet pays off ;)

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to yet another game 7 with the Bruins/Capitals. If ever there was a chance for Holtby to look like an inexperienced rookie...

The Canucks are out. Pittsburgh is out. The Rangers might be out soon. Is there anything in sports more exciting than the NHL playoffs? I say no.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I read this Caps/Bruins series (or Bruins/Caps, if you prefer ;)) is the first one in history that's gone six games with one-goal margins of victory. I guess there's a reason my fingernails are pathetic right now.

Our baseball team is doing well, but largely due to pitching. Which means close margins of victory (or defeat) for the most part -- again, not good news for my nails.

Gilroy Cullen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I read this Caps/Bruins series (or Bruins/Caps, if you prefer ;)) is the first one in history that's gone six games with one-goal margins of victory.

If the Sens topple the Rangers, it makes more history as it will be the first time that both #1 seeds have been eliminated from contention of the championship in the first round of the NHL or NBA.

Our baseball team is doing well, but largely due to pitching. Which means close margins of victory (or defeat) for the most part -- again, not good news for my nails.

Small advantage for me. I don't like Baseball, but I see the United has started playing again... So I might be sport free until Football season starts.