Hathor--I do like I, Persephone, also.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Question: I see a lot written about the big no-no of writing "fiction novel" in your query letter. But does that apply when you attach a genre to it? "My historical fiction novel?" It doesn't sound right to my ears to say "...submitting my 100k word historical fiction for your consideration..."

Novels are by definition fiction, so that *is* redundant. You could say it's "a historical novel" or it's "historical fiction". I think the exception is "science fiction" because those two words come as a unit--you couldn't say "science novel" for instance.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!!! You're all amazing and I love you!!!!

Wow, so I didn't krash and burn after all.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
The e-mail asked to set up a call about representation. :e2thud:

The best part for me? It was for THE TROUBLE WITH FROGS. I love my other books, but this one was the real start of everything for me. My baby.

Ooh! Congratulations! Always great to hear some good news :)

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score

The best part for me? It was for THE TROUBLE WITH FROGS. I love my other books, but this one was the real start of everything for me. My baby.

Congrats!! :D Let us know how it goes.

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score

:hooray:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Must be something in the air.

Perhaps all the editors and agents are snowed in and just reading away, but there have been a ton of writers I know picking up agents/publishers lately.

Get those queries out there!

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I have completed another round of edits and my MS is now less terrible! :D

Anyone up for beta-ing a magical realism Looking for Alaska about Gypsies? :D

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
It was mentioned a few pages back I think but I can't find it - I'm at the weeding out repetitions part of my editing, the tidying up. How do you guys go about finding and murdering your crutch words and repetitions? (Aside from physically reading the whole thing, which I've done, and weeded out as much as I think I can that way) is there any websites or software that can do this?

Antonin, I'll be done with the weeding by tomorrow with my YA MS if you wanted to do swapsies?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score

I'd love to, but this week I'm finishing up my WIP so I can send it out. Then I'll be out of town for two weeks unable to work, and once back I've already committed to beta two works. If you still want another set of eyes, I'll be glad to look after I finish with those. Maybe by then you'll have another draft :tongue

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Phew, I was traveling yesterday and I missed a lot!

Didn't make it in for SVS. Not surprised, because my default mode is rejection, but a little sad since it was my first foray with the new MS. Also when I saw the hint that one of the picks had gods running around, I figured it was either me or Hathor, so at least I have a fellow AWer to cheer on! :banana: for Hathor!

Also I happen to like your current title. :)

And :snoopy: for krash!! That is awesome news. :D

Sent out my first batch of queries for MS5 last night (including Lane, although I didn't mention the AW connection, darn). Now get to play the fun waiting game...

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
It was mentioned a few pages back I think but I can't find it - I'm at the weeding out repetitions part of my editing, the tidying up. How do you guys go about finding and murdering your crutch words and repetitions? (Aside from physically reading the whole thing, which I've done, and weeded out as much as I think I can that way) is there any websites or software that can do this?

Antonin, I'll be done with the weeding by tomorrow with my YA MS if you wanted to do swapsies?

I recently purchased ProWritingAid. Their website is fairly straightforward as to what you can do with it and how it compares to Autocrit (what caught my eye--cheaper!). Both programs allow you to insert text for free on the website, but the amount is limited. Also, by purchasing I have the program as an add-in to Word, allowing me to edit directly.

It does a good job of finding overused words and phrases or repetitions too close together. I've done my entire WIP in 30-40 page chunks (more than that, my program seemed to seize up). I especially like the diction, grammar, and writing style reports; the others don't seem to give me much useful information.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
It feels like a weight has been lifted off me. This MS, as I'm sure a few of you might remember, has caused me to whine... a lot.

I'm still feelin good about it. :D

Last year while querying I remembered a good chunk of agents were looking for magical realism, did that go away? I also remembered that most of them kept talking about how people kept misusing the term. I might be too, but ehhhh....

Heck yeah I'll do swapsies. Hit me up via PM or twitter and we'll chat when you're ready. :)

I'd love to, but this week I'm finishing up my WIP so I can send it out. Then I'll be out of town for two weeks unable to work, and once back I've already committed to beta two works. If you still want another set of eyes, I'll be glad to look after I finish with those. Maybe by then you'll have another draft :tongue

Man, you got quite the load. No worries though. I'll hopefully have another draft by then... my rate with this MS has been abysmal and I'd like to change that.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It feels like a weight has been lifted off me. This MS, as I'm sure a few of you might remember, has caused me to whine... a lot.

I'm still feelin good about it. :D

Last year while querying I remembered a good chunk of agents were looking for magical realism, did that go away? I also remembered that most of them kept talking about how people kept misusing the term. I might be too, but ehhhh....

This is what agents are (and are not) looking for.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...5387-the-hot-and-cold-categories-of-2014.html

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I had this crazy urge to check my e-mail at 11:30 last night, even though I was already in bed.

I did.

:Jaw:

I had this pleasant tug to check the forums tonight, the first time in at least a week, even though it meant I'd probably forget to tuck my son into bed on time.

I did.

Krash!!! FROGS FTW! You so deserve this! Can't wait to hear more.

:PartySmil

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score

Antonin, this sounds intriguing. Is it YA? I don't have much time but I'd be up for reading the first 50 pages or so. I have a pretty good handle on what is and what isn't MR, too, so we could discuss. It's not an easy genre to understand. PM me if you need more readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.