The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I learned something funny last night. It turns out that every tuesday, when I pick my kids up from after-school classes, I've been crossing paths with Uwe Boll (who has a child in my son's class). I noticed him, because he's a pretty loud personality, and I knew the name Uwe Boll, but I never actually had a picture in my head of what he looks like, so I didn't recognize him until I was told who he was.

For those of you who have never heard the name, the debate rages as to whether Uwe is the worst film director of our generation, or the worst film director of all time. In response to critics, he once said if a million people signed a petition asking him to stop making films, he would. When the campaign neared a million he replied with this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgOCpGYgv7c (only a minute long and it'll give you a laugh).

Anyhow I felt like sharing.

I know a celebrity! Woohoo... :tongue

Last edited:

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for CCC and Carleree and anyone else feeling down! The writing part is so great. Everything else is a riptide of self-doubt, with the occasional amazing wave that keeps us swimming back out for more. :)

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, the NLpitchperfect hashtag is nuts with lots o'spam. I see almost everyone in there!!

Shandy--it was great to read the pitch that went with the first 200. Sounds exciting!

Did anyone see me? For some reason, my own is not showing up in the feed and I keep feeling like my hashtag is wrong or something.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, the NLpitchperfect hashtag is nuts with lots o'spam. I see almost everyone in there!!

Shandy--it was great to read the pitch that went with the first 200. Sounds exciting!

Did anyone see me? For some reason, my own is not showing up in the feed and I keep feeling like my hashtag is wrong or something.

I saw you krash!

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah the spam is bonkers isn't it ! I hope people don't get missed because of it. Good luck to everyone pitching :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
DJ, that Uwe Boll video is hilarious.

If you've crit-partnered with lots of people here at AW, you've probably dealt with someone exactly like him. "I'm the only genius in this whole f^%&ing business." Love that line. I'm going to use that when I get famous... or not. ;)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
A big publisher (one of the biggest if not the biggest in my age group) liked the pitch my agent gave them. They have it as an exclusive until February 4th.

Commence nail biting.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the R's. Hugs, cookies, and wine all around.

DJ, such exciting news! Good luck :Thumbs:

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I know a celebrity! Woohoo... :tongue

DJ, that's cool; I'd never heard of him. I don't know any celebrities but I had that little twinge of glamour when I learned my daughter goes to school with Dave Ch@ppelle's son and has talked to the boy, even. The family lives in a small Ohio town, who knew?

Even cooler is the news about the exclusive with Big Publisher. Fingers tightly crossed for you!

I've had a miserable month and have done very little writing. I got sick with the flu or some other nasty virus right before New Year's and missed a family reunion. Then I got an ear infection January 2nd and I STILL HAVE IT. My eardrum even ruptured and the damn infection returned. I've been on two rounds of antibiotics and my ear is still blocked and starting to hurt again. I see my doctor again tomorrow. My guess is I'll have to see an ENT doc and have a tube inserted. My mom's had this trouble several times.

On the up side, I've been motivated, by some miracle, to clean the clutter from places I've neglected far too long. Having a desk that is ready to write at again does my heart good. :)

Congrats on all the fresh requests! Hugs to anyone else who's down. You're not alone.

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats DJ!

Best Friend begged to read my book. Finally relented, sent said friend said book. Friend read one chapter, told me she hates the word witches... The book is about witches. Hand, meet head. *Ugh*

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Family and friends are the worst beta readers.

My wife reads my stories, then we get into an argument when I don't like her comments and she insists that I just don't understand what she's saying.

The only one I trust to read my work and offer a bit of constructive feedback is my son, but that limits it to my MG work, as he's a bit young for YA and up.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Uwe Boll is mentioned (i.e., ridiculed) a lot on the movie forums I frequent, but I haven't seen any of his films. After watching that video, I feel like I have. :D

Good luck with that exclusive, DJ! That's super-exciting!

Sorry about the Rs, Carleree, and everyone else getting them. :Hug2: CCC, have you talked with your agent about a possible second round, or what happens next? Here's hoping she'll stick with you, but if not, it's not the end — trust me.

Good luck to everyone doing the pitch contest!

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Ugh, got a form rejection from an agent I had high hopes for. She faved me in both #SFFpit and #PitMad. Ah. Well. I knew MS4 was almost done for. Also another agent tweeted that she is through queries so that one is a no too. I think I'll just be relieved when I can finally shut the door on the whole mess--I have about 4 responses I'm expecting and then it'll be over.

Didn't really like my pitch for the NL, but I figured it was a no-lose situation. It's not like I can't still query them later.

Feeling grumpy tonight. Hopefully I get a ton done this weekend.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Heya everyone, I stumbled across a website where they've collected a series of 20 quotes from each of a bunch of well-known authors.

http://www.azevedosreviews.com/2013/05/30/stephen-kings-20-quotes-on-writing/

The link is to Stephen King, but there are a bunch of others at the bottom. I'm not a huge fan of GRRM, but he had a comment about his time management that really made me feel better about my own terrible time management skills (turns out when he can't write and he gets frustrated he just plays video games for the whole day).

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Good quotes, DJ. And good luck on the exclusive!

I've been lucky enough to have family and friends read my stuff that a) are generally well-read people and can give a cohesive answer, b) know me well enough to never give that answer and just tell me good things. Sometimes, I just need people to tell me that I don't suck, no matter what. I have CPs to tell me I do ;-)

I did have my 7yo read the first chapter of Fortunes. He's been asking for ages, but I thought the reading level was still too high for him. It was 4 double-spaced pages, front and back, when I printed. He came back after twenty minutes.
me: Well, how was it?
him: *shrug* Pretty good.
me: So what happened?
him: There was this kid. His mom fell, so he ordered Chinese, then this guy delivered and made a crazy surprised face (he then makes his best crazy surprised face, which was scary), then they talked in the hallway FOREVER *big eye roll*
me: Riiiiiight. Do you want to read the next chapter?
him: No thanks, but good luck with it.

:Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.