The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I'd written off a submission, too. I wish I'd received a form R just now. But no, the agent obviously hates my NF writing, whatever approach I take, and wanted to let me know in rather blunt terms. (He's seen earlier versions. Maybe he wants to make sure I don't approach him again. However, I already told him this was my last shot with him.) He's never told me what he wants, just that I haven't provided it...with a few cutting adjectives for good measure.

Ho ho ho.

This makes me want to be a success, just to prove him wrong. I hope he's wrong. If he isn't, it isn't anything I can fix because I don't see what the problem is. (My betas all liked my writing, for what that's worth.)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, what a jerk. D: Sorry, Hathor. Sounds like someone was power-tripping today.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what my husband said, too. Maybe it's because the agent knows I used to practice law. Before he condemned my first chapter for being "linear, like the way lawyers write." Now that it isn't, he says he thought I could tell a story chronologically because I was a lawyer, but obviously not.

Maybe he doesn't like lawyers. Hell, that sounds like a good rationalization to me ;) I look back and this guy's Rs have been the most ruthless. Others have just given me their forms, offered suggestions, or said they didn't think there would be a big enough market or I lacked a platform.

Hubs and I are going to watch Contagion tonight. I figure that will make me forget my troubles. Maybe I'll wear my new "party like it's 13-0-0-0-0" t-shirt for good measure :)

kimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that Hathor. I just received my very first rejection email today, a very nice personalized note, not a bad way to lose my rejection virginity!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
As I am wont to do, I am trying to look at this philosophically. (Wine helps.) How many people have I queried, wondering "what's the worst that can happen -- the person will ridicule me?" Now I know what that would be like. I will survive. Yes, now that song is in my head :Headbang:

So I have nothing to fear now, right?

I'm so lucky to have found this thread. You all make it bearable.

Sorry for your first R, kimmy.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the R, kimmy. A personalized one is good way to go. My first ever for querying said, "Nothing wrong with the query..." and I was so elated.

Hathor, ugh, I'm sorry. Maybe he just hates lawyers. I don't know why. I know some damn fine people who are lawyers. But you have a good attitude: he's not the agent for you, and the worst he can do is reject you.

madrynea

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thalanien.com
I received a rejection on a full, but it was such a nice one that I can't even be sad. :) Hope it's okay to post it? Since it's definitely a plus point for the agent and a nice thing for us to know there are kind agents out there, I assume it's fine. If not, I'm sorry and please delete!

"Thank you so much for sending me THE FOURTH RULE OF THE SACRIFICE. It is clear to me you are a gifted writer and there was much I enjoyed about THE FOURTH RULE OF THE SACRIFICE — in particular, I think you have a lively voice and engaging premise. Unfortunately, while I was drawn to much of your writing, ultimately I struggled with the pacing of the story. You deserve nothing less than a passionate advocate for your work, and I’m sorry to say this isn’t a perfect fit for me. I'm so grateful for the chance and I wish you so much success with THE FOURTH RULE OF THE SACRIFICE."

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Another form R, from an agency that only accepts based on rec's. Which I had. Ah, well. Didn't pique their interest enough. It happens.

At least my other outstanding ones have long enough response times that I shouldn't hear until Jan. And the pages that are out probably won't come back until then either (at the earliest!). So maybe next week will be R-free, lol. That'd be a nice holiday gift.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at the various categories for agents. What exactly is "women's fiction"?

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
I received a rejection on a full, but it was such a nice one that I can't even be sad. :) Hope it's okay to post it? Since it's definitely a plus point for the agent and a nice thing for us to know there are kind agents out there, I assume it's fine. If not, I'm sorry and please delete!

"Thank you so much for sending me THE FOURTH RULE OF THE SACRIFICE. It is clear to me you are a gifted writer and there was much I enjoyed about THE FOURTH RULE OF THE SACRIFICE — in particular, I think you have a lively voice and engaging premise. Unfortunately, while I was drawn to much of your writing, ultimately I struggled with the pacing of the story. You deserve nothing less than a passionate advocate for your work, and I’m sorry to say this isn’t a perfect fit for me. I'm so grateful for the chance and I wish you so much success with THE FOURTH RULE OF THE SACRIFICE."
That sounds like a VERY promising rejection! Not only did you make it as far as the agent requesting the full manuscript, but they also gave a lot of high praise. I'd love a rejection like that LOL!

madrynea

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thalanien.com
Thanks, Jessica. :) Unfortunately it was followed by another rejection on the partial I had out, which puts me back to square one with only query letters out now. Oh well, I guess it's not unusual. I'll probably wait till after the holidays before I send out new ones. Maybe I'll be able to get my post count up and get some feedback on my query letter before I do, too. I don't want to post 50 pieces of nonsense, though, so it's going to take a while. ;)

But yes, I'm going to keep that rejection and look at it from time to time when my confidence drops.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I got a form reject on a partial. Those always bum me out.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Folks, is it "historical fiction novel" or "historical novel"? I'm writing a query letter now.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I just got a little whiplashed. The ePub says to expect to hear back between 2 weeks & 6 months & in only 5 days they rejected my ms.

I thought things were supposed to be slower than usual in December?? Oh well, onward. Chocolate first.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Wow, I just got a little whiplashed. The ePub says to expect to hear back between 2 weeks & 6 months & in only 5 days they rejected my ms.

I thought things were supposed to be slower than usual in December?? Oh well, onward. Chocolate first.

The holidays are also a time when a lot of editors and agents get caught up on their reading. They're not all on vacation or passed out from heavy brew. I remember getting an agent contract on Christmas day four years ago.

tri

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I remember getting an agent contract on Christmas day four years ago.

tri

Wow! None of the rest of your post surprises me at all, but this?! Strangely enough, it also gives me hope. I spent about half of the 24 hours of christmas this year writing so why shouldn't they spend it reading? :)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, my vacation can't be almost over! I still have some edits left to go...

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Got an ER from Dan Lazar's assistant. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but at least I know. Too bad there doesn't seem to be another agent at Writers House who'd be open to historical fiction. Well, they are, but have very full lists already...

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Really? The Dan Lazar R was the only response I got this week. I thought I'd hear more news.

Status
Not open for further replies.