The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the squirrels, the squirrels. I went to them before querying and they carved up my already-nibbled query until folks were saying it was a winner. Now no nibbles (unless you count the guy who asked for a fiction proposal for the series). I'd love a 10-15% rate right now. Maybe these other folks are carefully considering my query. (Or I picked a tough subgenre to break into -- that's the rationalization I'll choose tomorrow on my optimistic, even-numbered day).

If nothing comes from my current batch of queries, I'm tempted to go back to one of my earlier drafts. I can't do worse.

But, back to the NF. I hope today I find some more people to query, as opposed to the folks I decided not to yesterday. Maybe I'm being too picky. But I am reluctant to approach anyone who has represented a number of books in the relevant field I find appalling, or in one case proudly coauthored one. Life would be so much easier if I believed in glib pseudoscience.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Question: if an agent turns you down based on a query (no samples or a brief one), do you re-query if you revise the MS later on?

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I got an offer of rep from an amazing agent yesterday.

O_O <-- IN SHOCK FOREVER

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, WOW, Beckstah! I'm so happy for you :Jump::TheWave::PartySmil:e2woo::e2bouncey:e2cheer::e2bear::e2headban:fistpump:yessmiley

merlot143, I wouldn't requery unless you have done something different that the agent would see -- the query better explains the book, the word count is now better, sample pages are significantly different, you have new publishing credits, etc.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

BTW What's the etiquette for following an agent or editor on twitter? If she says sthing, and it might apply to your MS (which she's got), do you comment? I don't to seem like I"m stalking.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Beckstah, that's AWESOME!!! Congratulations.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

BTW What's the etiquette for following an agent or editor on twitter? If she says sthing, and it might apply to your MS (which she's got), do you comment? I don't to seem like I"m stalking.

I wouldn't (when in doubt, don't). But I'm not into Twitter to begin with. Polly says I'm a dinosaur dork. Anyway, what would be the point of commenting? If she has your MS and wants a dialogue with you, she knows how to commence one.

Feel free to disagree with me, though, folks. I just thought someone should respond.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Oops! I missed this. I wouldn't comment. I don't follow agents on Twitter for various reasons. And like Hathor says, the agent should know how to reach you about your work through other ways.

Last edited:

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Beckstah! Woohoo!!!!

Nice to see some good news. CONGRATS! (yeah, I'd do the emoticon dance, but I just can't top Hathor, lol)

And ouch about the carved query, Hathor. I got chewed pretty good by them on this version, too. And you're right: 10-15% is nothing to complain about, not to mention a HECK of a lot better than my first book (um--one. One nibble from all submissions. Period. Don't ask how many I sent...). So I'm psyched that I've got at least some interest. If nothing else, I'm ahead of ye olde trunked novel. ;-)

Last edited:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I don't mind criticism, at least in the long run. I just find that whining helps me feel better :D

I finally have enough queries out on both projects to sit back and wait for responses before I do more. Now all I need to do is wait. All :eek:

I'm going to drag out my assorted notes for new books tomorrow and think about something else.

For now, I've opened a bottle of wine to reward myself for doing all this research and getting the queries out. And, of course, to Beckstah -- cheers, hon!

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
ahhhh. NEVER MIND from the agent I had a bad vibe about. Just got this.

Thanks for sending this, Barbara. I found the writing really lovely and hypnotic, but overall I just couldn't get my bearings in the story. I'm a big fantasy reader, but not so keen on more literary magical realism, which this feels like to me. I just think, despite my curiosity about the story and the compelling writing, that I'm not going to be the agent for this project. Thanks for sending more of the pages to me! Best, Deidre

Gosh, I'm just tooooo brilliant and literary!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got an offer of rep from an amazing agent yesterday.

O_O <-- IN SHOCK FOREVER

Omg, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You totally deserved this!!! Yaaaay!! Ahh, so excited for you!!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
ahhhh. NEVER MIND from the agent I had a bad vibe about. ...

Gosh, I'm just tooooo brilliant and literary!

And lovely, hypnotic, and compelling to boot. Shame on you, girl. Can't be havin' any of that brilliant stuff. No one wants to be a-readin' that.

Go reread 50 Shades.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, what do you know? I had an agent email me in the middle of night (only queried her yesterday afternoon) to say my memoir sounds interesting and to ask some questions. If nothing else, perhaps this will help me spiff up my query and synopsis. I thought my "core message" was clear, but I guess not. At least not to everyone...

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys! I-I've actually had OTHER interest since yesterday, so I have a lot to think about this weekend. Gulp. I'll take some of that wine!

Yay for agent e-mails, Hathor! And ugh, Polly, she might have been better off saying "It's just not my thing," LOL. I hope someone else bites soon. We need more literary magical realism.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It's a nice Cab/Shiraz blend from Black Opal. Enjoy! *hands glass of wine to Beckstah, who is on a roll*

Another agent just emailed that he wants to see my MS (NF) in its revised state. Would I like to send the entire thing to him? Nah, I've changed my mind since yesterday. I'll keep my brilliant insights to myself.

I'm trying not to get too excited. My book has seemed interesting before to agents...then they read some of it. No, wait, this guy got the first ten pages and wasn't completely turned off. That's progress.

So do I tell the agent with a partial that someone else is now looking? I read on one blog that this is considered the etiquette, but she's also said some things that people disagree with. (And she isn't an agent, herself.)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Beckstah! You get a dancing banana. :banana:

Polly, for a rejection, that's pretty awesome. Proud of you anyway.

As for me, dream agent number 1 passed on my new book, but dream agent #2 said I am "a solid writer" and asked for an exclusive. So not too shabby. I'm sitting at 50% :p

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on being solid, Carleree. I guess not everyone can be magical like Polly ;)

Howdy, idontknowwhatimdoing. There's plenty of virtual wine.

Still waiting for words of wisdom from y'all -- do I tell agents with submissions that others have them as well? And if so, how do I phrase it politely? Everything I try is sounding pompous to me right now, implying "you better start reading, or someone else might snatch me up before you know it."

Well, time to work on something new. I should put my agent research out of sight, get off of PM, close the Word files used for querying, etc. Maybe even get off the internet for a few hours so I don't keep checking my inboxes.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that agents know it's a multiple submission process by authors, even if they don't say it aloud. Only contact them if you get an offer of rep from another agent. It will push them to read your ms or give you a bargaining chip to use.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with merlot, Hathor. Although you know I'm pretty new at this, I've only heard of contacting agents with news of offers of rep, not with page requests. I hope someone with more knowledge/wisdom gives you advice. But I'm so happy about your news of agent interest! Keep it up.

c.e.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray! Hooray everyone! Hathor, don't say anything to the person who has your partial. It's not an exclusive and they assume you are querying hard. They expect you to. Just let them know if you get an offer.

I now have like, 5 fulls out. What the hell? Just posting that here should jinx it pretty well.

Off to do yoga or I will never make it to the beach in April.

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.