The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyJ

One day at a time, eh?
Registered
Reaction score
I have been on AW for nearly a year, but I've spent no time in the Break Room. On Thursday I saw that I did not make the short list for a small publishing house's novella contest. For the past 18 months I have been actively querying my novel, Son of Jack Nasty. I just received a rejection letter to that in the summer, although the editor took the time to write a personal email that, though it was a rejection, gave me some hope. In the time since I finished Son of Jack Nasty, I wrote a novella, Fair. Over the winter I learned of the contest, so worked with a freelance editor to really give the contest a good shot. I met someone who, last year, while they didn't win in this contest were short listed and offered a publishing contract for their novella (it will come out next month). I guess I worked myself into a place where I was very confident something similar would happen to me.

I've spent the last couple of days licking my wounds. And surfing through various places in AW (usually I just hang out in SYW and crit or post). Reading posts from new members to AW; reading rants about lack of support from friends from a fellow Canuck in another forum in Break Room; and, generally, I suppose, just reminding myself that rejection is at the core of this business so just get on with it.

Anyway, I just needed a place to say all of that, to move past the rejection and continue with the strategy: continue to query for Son of Jack Nasty; continue to query to lit magazines with short stories I've written in the past several months; now begin to query Fair, given the contest didn't work out; and begin the next novel that I've been sketching in my notebook.

Thanks for listening: I hate whining (I f---ing hate whining), but I needed to just get it all off my (hairy) chest and move on. So there, that is that.

And if anyone wants to read any of my short stories, you can find "Red and White"; "It's about you"; and "As the fog burns away" in the Literary SYW.

Thanks again for listening fellow dejectors (dejectees?).

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, sorry to hear about the contest, EddyJ. Even though we try our best to be objective, it's so difficult not to build up hope, especially when we have our sights set on a particular agent or publisher or contest. I hear you, believe me. But you said the magic words yourself -- "...just get on with it." And that's what we all have to do.

So keep on querying and keep on writing. And good luck! :)

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Sorry about the rejection, EddyJ. You're right though, rejection is really a core piece of this business. It takes a thick skin. Am still working on that myself.

Nice to see another Literary writer around here. We're rare as pygmy hippos around here. (Not that I'm calling you a hippo.)

I'm back from a somewhat refreshing/somewhat stressful overseas vacation. Lots of family visits, some family health issues, lots of language barriers. But I did manage to chillax a bit by the sea, hang out with some wonderful people and eat a ton of great food. What was that I said about hippos?

Two form rejects while I was gone. Today I sent a nudge on a full manuscript from late March. It's actually just with an assistant, but she's at a top-notch house (rhymes with "whirling horde"). She's reading it on the referral of one of the agents there who read the partial. I've been afraid to nudge her because I'm afraid of rejection. This whole process sometimes concocts such silliness in my head.

Now to try and re-establish a writing routine...

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone! Sent nudge #2 to the agent I'm revising with. Three and a half months might not be too long normally, but for the second round of an exclusive R&R, it's very nervewracking. Eep.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I wanted to let you all know I received my first 'yes'. Musa Publishing's speculative fiction imprint offered a contract. I don't have it yet, but they said it would come this week sometime. I'm not sure I'll really believe it until it arrives. Even so, I thought I'd share the info 1) to prove that we're all on the right track and that every one here can get that 'yes' if I can, and 2) to thank you guys for all the support and encouragement. Again, I might be right back in here if that contract doesn't show up :)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Woooohoooooo Kmarshall! That is WICKED awesome. :) Congratulations!!

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Wooohooo congratulations Kmarshall!!!! :)

Just got R #3. At this point, I would happily take something other than a form R. Even a "I hate your main character, I only read as far as I did in hopes she might die." Orrrr... something!

Well, I still have 5/8 to go. My biggest partial is the one I'm most hopeful about. Hope I didn't jinx it...

keep on truckin' everyone... Good things come to those who wait right...

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
Man even my fantasy football waiver request was rejected today...

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
Another rejection... looks like Saturday is a day for writing + revenge queries

Aurelee

Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to a rejection today, this is my fourth.
I am indeed learning about thick skin!
Big congrats, Kmarshall!!!!

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
Aw sorry Aurelee. Four isn't bad at all though! Good luck and keep on keepin' on!

Sent out a handful of revenge queries... fixed up my query some more... sent out two of Queryversion2.0extrashiny... and A FULL REQUEST! Excitement.

I'll take the silence from my partials since I have the silence on a sparkly new full to look forward too.. haha... :)

So today I'll mark off as a success. Keep it up everybody!

Last edited:

Aurelee

Registered
Reaction score
Oeh! That's awesome, congrats!
Yeah four isn't bad, and my first choice agency is still out there with my query so BIG THUMBS!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Woke up to a rejection today, this is my fourth.
I am indeed learning about thick skin!
Big congrats, Kmarshall!!!!

You're just getting your machinery oiled. You'll soon ramp up your rpms and be running smoothly. Do not fear the Query Gods. Perform diligent research. Personalize all of your subs to specific editors and let them know you've read their guidelines and mission statement.

I sent out 12 more revenge queries for a total of 24. After a week I received my first full request from pages. I hope that's a good sign--sure seems like it.

Tri

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Love the idea of Revenge Queries!

Tomorrow when I'm sending out my just-now-rejected ss (literally, moments ago) I'll think of it as a Revenge Submission. Hopefully that'll take a little of the sting out.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, everyone! We need some good news around here. *pokes inbox*

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Beckstah, no good news from me!

I had three fulls out with agents and today I got rejections from two of them at the same time! One was a form, one said she wasn't "sufficiently convinced by the blackmail plotline or the blackmailers themselves". THAT IS MY ENTIRE PLOT THAT SUCKS, NOT JUST SOMETHING I CAN FIX!

So down right now :(

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sorry Beckstah, no good news from me!

I had three fulls out with agents and today I got rejections from two of them at the same time! One was a form, one said she wasn't "sufficiently convinced by the blackmail plotline or the blackmailers themselves". THAT IS MY ENTIRE PLOT THAT SUCKS, NOT JUST SOMETHING I CAN FIX!

So down right now :(

Lady, that's a subjective comment. I've received some like that and they really didn't wash right--didn't hold up, since they were never mentioned by other editors/agents. I sometimes think that editors want to co-author somehow and change major structural issues because they're looking at the story through a different lens, or want to find something that caters to their house style and genre format.

tri

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
What triceretops said. I wasn't thoroughly convinced by the plot of Dark Knight Rises, but I don't think my opinion hurt its sales. And that agent's opinion won't hurt the sale of your novel when you find someone who likes it and wants it.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, don't you just loathe form rejections on fulls. Requested fulls, for crap's sake. It's not like they have 999 fulls per week, so how about taking two minutes of their precious time to at least write "yr ms sckd ktx bye"?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I've been MIA for a while here. I've got one chapter left on my WIP and I sent an email to my dream agent to see if she's had a chance yet to read my pitch and chapter outline for the rewrite she asked for. I've only been waiting 3 months for an answer. Only. Still nothing today.

On another note, my new job is a gong show and I might have to quit over the hours. Thankful today is my last shift for this week. That is all.

Good luck to all with subs out. My fingers are crossed.

Aurelee

Registered
Reaction score
Today my eyes chose to look past the big bold instructions on posting and I kind of sent the agency a query before they were open for them. Basically they open for queries on the first and second of each month. I got a email back saying that they are interested but I need to resubmit on the 1st.
Do you guys think this is a automated message for everyone like me who is blind to big flashy DON'T DO ITs?
I am possibly being too negative, but I don't want to jump around screaming "VICTORY!" and then go back to crying in a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.