The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Argh, these videos! Well, they're definitely better than Muskrat Love. I watched with the sound off to ensure no earworms tonight. :) That's not really a defense, though, when I already know how the songs sound -- the power of suggestion is enough. And Hathor - isn't it interesting how they can be old but we're not?

Thanks for all the advice on the synopsis, everyone -- reps sent to all. Will single space (thank God).

Last edited:

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
All quiet for me. Hopefully it's vacation time and not non-responders.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Argh, these videos! Well, they're definitely better than Muskrat Love. I watched with the sound off to ensure no earworms tonight. :) That's not really a defense, though, when I already know how the songs sound -- the power of suggestion is enough. And Hathor - isn't it interesting how they can be old but we're not?

Thanks for all the advice on the synopsis, everyone -- reps sent to all. Will single space (thank God).

Don't ya mean, thank Goddess?

I can't leave folks with Paul Revere and the Raiders. I decided to pick something else for myself today. After some deliberation, it's Eye of the Tiger. No music video link, because my visualization for this is Craig Stammen's video. They play this when he walks in from the bullpen and the Jumbotron shows us those baby blue eyes. Oh my. He was one of those who read 50 Shades...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUP4aIArGXw
Remembering those eyes allow me to forgive that unfortunate plaid shirt.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, damn, Carleree. So sorry. I haven't had that pleasure yet (still too new at this) I'm sure it must be so frustrating to not even get a word of feedback/reason why.

What flavor? I'll join you if it involves chocolate. Got a revenge Q to send out?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, damn, Carleree. So sorry. I haven't had that pleasure yet (still too new at this) I'm sure it must be so frustrating to not even get a word of feedback/reason why.

What flavor? I'll join you if it involves chocolate. Got a revenge Q to send out?
Neopolitan! *hands you a cone*

I'm going to go ahead and wallow today. Maybe tomorrow I'll send out a few more queries. The problem is, I'm almost out of agents I can query. Almost. And dream agent is still stringing me along. If she says yes, the rest get a no. Not sure I should bother till she makes her decision.
icon12.gif

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I love neopolitan. Have any left? I used to drive my mom crazy as I carefully ate each flavor in order.

Sorry about the R. They should leave us alone on the weekends.

I lost Eye of the Tiger. I dropped by the store for a few groceries and heard Book of Love. Damn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xDwq8NM9G4

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Grr at the R, carleree! I know I kinda feel like the manuscript Rs are more painful...getting requests validates the query, but then the Rs on the requests make me feel more insecure about the actual manuscript. Just hang in there! Ice cream is totally warranted!

Crickets here...Well, cicadas lately. Very loud cicadas.

And I'm having one of those weeks when all sorts of distracting story ideas come up...I created three different WIP folders just to get the ideas down, and I'm not sure which one will stick...but I need to make progress with my current WIP first. It's like my own brain is working against my productivity. Bad, bad brain.

Wishing everyone a positive week ahead!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I've told myself I have to be productive. I simply couldn't make myself to do anything over the weekend. The Olympics didn't help (although I did find myself watching things I really had no interest in).

No more excuses. Well, one more. I need caffeine. That and the sugar rush from Carleree's ice cream should get me going.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Insecurity and self-doubt are allowed on even-numbered days, right? Because I'm right on schedule.

More crickets...which are probably better than outright Rs. But I'd kinda rather know the bad news than sit waiting for it.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on schedule, too. I've rewritten the beginning of the NF. I'm not linear anymore. The memoir starts out more curlicued and epicycled, I guess I'd call it. Gee, I don't know. I do get right into the action rather than building up now, but I liked the other way. Maybe I should have written in the 19th century.

Word count is now down to 72,000, what with taking out all these details of personal background I thought agents wanted. I guess the details of my background proved to be boring.

Now I'm reading the entire thing and I can't help but hear agents' voices in my head. Don't go beyond your personal story. Leave the science out; you aren't a scientist. Etc., etc. Stupid even-numbered day.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid even-numbered day is right. The first agent to reject my full with a form felt it necessary to reject me a second time with a form as well. Cause the first time wasn't enough. How thoughtful.

Sent out 12 new queries today to get back it her. So far, it hasn't worked. :Shrug:

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection back in May from an agent I queried. Sucks, of course, but I dealt with it. Today, I got a rejection from the same agency. I haven't submitted anything else to them, so I just got rejected twice on the same query. The letters were signed by two different people, but they were both listed as the assistant to the same person. So I'm guessing that this was a simple error; this man got a new assistant and, for some reason, the new assistant failed to see that I had already been sent a letter. But it still stings more than usual to get two rejections from the same person on the same project.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Getting nibbles here. Partial request today and a note that my sub to an ePub. is going to their lead editor--whatever that means.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh on the repeat Rs. That does seem like a bit much. But I guess they do have a lot of email to deal with.

K--woo hoo! Are you submitting the same manuscript to agents and pubs simultaneously or are those different works? Good luck!!

Well, day wasn't quite over...got a partial request and two Rs on queries. I guess agents are catching up on their email.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Same MS. Basically, they sent an email to say they didn't see my synop, only to reply in minutes that they'd found it and that they were sending the query to the lead editor. We're only talking about the query here, nothing more. Lots of good buzz about the epublisher here, so I thought I'd try them. I need to do some research on epubs over traditional, a good deal of which I can find here. I have a couple of fulls out with agents, and a few partials. Much silence on queries as well. However the request I received yesterday was from my 1st query--all the way back to late June. So, I guess you never know.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Well, day wasn't quite over...got a partial request and two Rs on queries. I guess agents are catching up on their email.

I agree about the agents catching up...2 form rejects on queries yesterday, and my first reject on a submission today.

Good luck on the partial!

Status
Not open for further replies.