The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I might be off the mark here, but a lot of times, I wonder if agents are "sitting" on requested manuscripts for a reason. That maybe they read a query they're sort of interested in, request it, then wait to see if there's any buzz from other agents (to gauge how "hot" (or not!) the book might be in other circles).

I totally know that not all agents do this - in fact, there might be very few who do. And I know they're busy, busy, busy and that's probably the main reason there's such a long wait for request responses.

But I've waited 19 months on a full before (and the only reason I got a response at all is because I had an offer from another agent). So I can't help but wonder if that agent was just "sitting," waiting to see if my manuscript would get any movement elsewhere. Right now, I'm waiting on several partials (just 2-3 chapters) that were requested many months ago. And even my gentle/polite nudges have been ignored.

Just a bit of paranoid speculating, here. Boredom will do that to a person, lol.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Received a rejection for a short rejected last week. I then had an idea to strengthen the ending. So I went through the whole story and was horrifed at all the typos. Who the hell has been editing my stuff? I had made a major change to one section but the very first sentence after that section referenced the old scene! :( but more than that, I realized I had "it's" in every instance where it should have been possessive its. I hate it's/its! Hate it! Why at 55 do I still have a mental block on that one! Grr. Makes me wonder how many of the rejections for this story were based just on that! :(
If it makes you feel any better, I struggle with passed and past. Just when I think I have a handle on it, I get muddled again.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I struggle with passed and past. Just when I think I have a handle on it, I get muddled again.
Mine is "you're" and "your". And half the time I leave the "r" off "your" so it becomes "you". As in: "I like you hat."

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I like you hat.
I like you mittens.
I like you cat.
I like you kittens.

Definite possibilities.

My downfall is foreword and forward, as I've mentioned before. I shudder to remember.

Sometimes I type "an" instead of "and."

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I had a nap after dinner and dreamt about my sequel. In my dream I had figured out this amazing new plot twist and I kept telling myself to wake up so I wouldn't forget it.

I woke up, and sadly, I remembered. So what was this amazing plot twist? Lenny likes his hair underneath. Oh yeah, that's good. Better write it down. One thing: that isn't a great plot twist. Second thing: I don't have a character named Lenny in my book.

Note to self: do not nap after dinner. It will destroy your creativity.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Now, now, I think you were being very creative there :D

I've been known to dream about the details on some project and telling myself I would remember. Only the project didn't exist. It takes me a few moments upon awakening to convince myself of that.

Better than those "I forgot I signed up for this class and now there's a final, but I need to go to my locker first, only where is my locker...wait, do I have a locker; if so, wouldn't I know a combination...only I don't remember a combination...I'm so screwed" dreams, I suppose.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I had a nap after dinner and dreamt about my sequel. In my dream I had figured out this amazing new plot twist and I kept telling myself to wake up so I wouldn't forget it.

I woke up, and sadly, I remembered. So what was this amazing plot twist? Lenny likes his hair underneath. Oh yeah, that's good. Better write it down. One thing: that isn't a great plot twist. Second thing: I don't have a character named Lenny in my book.

Note to self: do not nap after dinner. It will destroy your creativity.

:ROFL:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Started out the day with a rejection on a partial request. Suddenly missing those crickets. Blech. :p

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Boo, hiss, Chelsea. :Hug2:

I sent an email to dream agent asking about her very sick cat. Got an out-of-office reply. She's on vacation till next week. Which means, essentially, that I can stop refreshing my inbox. Now what am I supposed to do all week?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Now what am I supposed to do all week?

How about reading the Fifty Shades trilogy and writing a review for us? ;)

Or you could come to Maryland. I have an infinite amount of work that can be done in my garden.

BTW Bryce Harper trademarked "that's a clown question, bro" a day after he said it. Under Armour plans to sell merchandise emblazoned with the phrase. I suppose I should hold off until the official stuff becomes available. :)

Sorry about the R, Chelsea.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
How about reading the Fifty Shades trilogy and writing a review for us? ;)

Or you could come to Maryland. I have an infinite amount of work that can be done in my garden.

BTW Bryce Harper trademarked "that's a clown question, bro" a day after he said it. Under Armour plans to sell merchandise emblazoned with the phrase. I suppose I should hold off until the official stuff becomes available. :)

Sorry about the R, Chelsea.

I tried to read 50 Shades, but it sucked so tremendously, I couldn't get through the first book.

I don't garden due to all the bugs and dirt involved. You're on your own there, Dar.

However, I might have to get a t-shirt with the clown question phrase on it. And then maybe one that says "completely balls."

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
oooh, I want one that says "Completely Balls".

An agent on twitter (closed to submissions, had a twitter pitchfest) just asked who had sent stuff in at her invitation. "Me" I type. "Found it, reading it now" she types re: giant synopsis.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Does this mean I have to figure out Twitter? Ah, I'm such a dinosaur dork, though. That's my thing.

I'm not sure I want a "completely balls" T-shirt. Isn't there a danger of, uh, ambiguity? Might make me more popular, however. Like a "I enjoy hoary nights" one would.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Does this mean I have to figure out Twitter? Ah, I'm such a dinosaur dork, though. That's my thing.

I'm not sure I want a "completely balls" T-shirt. Isn't there a danger of, uh, ambiguity? Might make me more popular, however. Like a "I enjoy hoary nights" one would.
Commander, please make a hoary nights shirt.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, just got this: re synopsis

I read it and while I have a few questions about it, I like it enough to see the first 50 pages. Can you send it as a word attachment? It's very different. I love unique!!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Go, Polly!

I just sent an email to the two agents that rejected my full with a form to see if they'd like to look at the revised MS. Not holding my breath here, but it can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.