The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
You left out thinking, planning, and dreaming. ;) Thanks, now I can't get the damn song out of my head.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
But it's such a cute song!

Once I get a song in my head, it's stuck until some other song displaces it. Cute wears thin quickly.

I need a reset button or something. Maybe I'll go practice the piano. Then my latest piece (or worse, some silly exercise) will stick in my head.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Once I get a song in my head, it's stuck until some other song displaces it. Cute wears thin quickly.

I need a reset button or something. Maybe I'll go practice the piano. Then my latest piece (or worse, some silly exercise) will stick in my head.
You do realize you've opened yourself up for song suggestions. I'm sure I can think of something far more bothersome than that one.

Maybe laughter will shake it from your head. Go read my blog post on my son's school assembly and how it relates to querying. http://bycmfranklin.blogspot.ca/

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
You do realize you've opened yourself up for song suggestions. I'm sure I can think of something far more bothersome than that one.

Maybe laughter will shake it from your head. Go read my blog post on my son's school assembly and how it relates to querying. http://bycmfranklin.blogspot.ca/

No need. Now I'm thinking Baby Beluga...

Your son's singing and dancing talents reminds me of my husband. Funny post.

Well, it's 5:00 and I've managed to do nothing but watch the tree guys this morning to make sure they targeted the right trees, cut the right limbs, and didn't fall. The woodchipper was mesmerizing, too. Then a couple errands, reading some baseball discussion threads online, and exercise. My book sits here, untouched.

Hubby has opened a bottle of wine. Maybe I'll accomplish something tomorrow? Maybe I'm back on even/odd track and knew I'd hate my book today if I looked at it.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
No need. Now I'm thinking Baby Beluga...

Your son's singing and dancing talents reminds me of my husband. Funny post.

Well, it's 5:00 and I've managed to do nothing but watch the tree guys this morning to make sure they targeted the right trees, cut the right limbs, and didn't fall. The woodchipper was mesmerizing, too. Then a couple errands, reading some baseball discussion threads online, and exercise. My book sits here, untouched.

Hubby has opened a bottle of wine. Maybe I'll accomplish something tomorrow? Maybe I'm back on even/odd track and knew I'd hate my book today if I looked at it.
Bet you're wishing you had that other song in your head now :p

Everyone needs a break from writing every now and then. I took one today, too. Instead I drove around town for several dentist appointments for both son and myself. I sincerely hope neither of us has to go again any time soon.

Pass the wine :)

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I want wine! My arm still hurts!

Also, it's national "no panty day". Do with that what you will.

No news here. Waiting. Have a great weekend, everyone. Last day of school here in Seattle.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
So, it's been eight days since I started querying. Here are the stats so far:

5 form Rs
1 full
7 queries still out there

I know I'm actually doing really well (I mean, six responses in a week, what?!), but I can't help feeling dejected. The last manuscript I queried, about a year ago, started off with a bang (something like 7 full requests, 3 partials, and an R&R, all within a very short time... I only ever got 3 form Rs on that manuscript. Nothing came of it all though). I feel like this time around, I suck harder or something.

Ah well. Time to send more queries, I think.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Two rejections today. One came in the mail and was just a little card, not even a full piece of paper. The other included an invitation to submit any future projects. I wasn't really expecting anything today and these were the first responses I've gotten in almost two weeks, so it was nice to hear something, especially the latter one.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, we drank all the wine. Perhaps I will open some tonight to celebrate actually working on my book. No internet browsing, no computer games of hearts, just do it.

Sorry your arm still hurts, Polly. I sympathize. I get shots and I ache for days, while hubby feels nothing. We two are just sensitive, artistic souls, I guess.

I missed no panties day? Wish I'd known sooner -- it was so hot and miserable here. It built up to an impressive thunderstorm last night. I suppose we did the tree work just in time; the wind was amazing. Good news, I don't have to go out and water. Bad news, my stupid tulip poplars barfed all over the yard, so I have to go pick up the yard at some point. (We didn't plant the damn things. If I'd known trees at the time, I would have picked a different house.)

But not today. Today I work. I mean it. I won't even look at my email.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I suppose we did the tree work just in time; the wind was amazing. Good news, I don't have to go out and water. Bad news, my stupid tulip poplars barfed all over the yard, so I have to go pick up the yard at some point. (We didn't plant the damn things. If I'd known trees at the time, I would have picked a different house.)

I feel your pain, Hathor. We've got a mulberry that covers most of the front yard. From June through July, it's one big purple, fermenting mess. And so is the dog. She leaves purple paw prints all over the wood floors.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Hathor. We've got a mulberry that covers most of the front yard. From June through July, it's one big purple, fermenting mess. And so is the dog. She leaves purple paw prints all over the wood floors.

The only time the tulip poplars get in the house is when the weak branches break and one spears the roof, which has happened three times. We finally took that one out.

We don't get stains, though. (I hope yours clean up all right.) Just an unbelievable amount of clusters of leaves and branches down whenever there's any appreciable wind. But the trees grow so quickly whatever is lost is quickly replaced. It will probably take us two to three hours tomorrow to do the pick up...and then we have another thunderstorm forecast for Monday. Unfortunately, most of the tall trees on our property are tulip poplars. Ack.

The worst was when lightning hit one of these trees. That one died, but it virtually exploded all over the backyard. I don't understand the evolutionary advantage of having such wimpy wood.

So don't plant these trees, folks, unless you don't mind yardwork. The blooms are pretty and the trees are vigorous growers, but yikes.

I finished polishing three chapters today, so had wine with dinner. I thought of you all and symbolically shared. A vegan chocolate cherry cheesecake for dessert, too, but I didn't share that. Sorry.

Edit: no, the tree literally exploded, not virtually. That will teach me to drink and post.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
So, it's been eight days since I started querying. Here are the stats so far:

5 form Rs
1 full
7 queries still out there

I know I'm actually doing really well (I mean, six responses in a week, what?!), but I can't help feeling dejected. The last manuscript I queried, about a year ago, started off with a bang (something like 7 full requests, 3 partials, and an R&R, all within a very short time... I only ever got 3 form Rs on that manuscript. Nothing came of it all though). I feel like this time around, I suck harder or something.

Ah well. Time to send more queries, I think.

At least you got the one full. That shows your query isn't completely balls, right? (I wish I had a request by now) :)

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I love the phrase "completely balls". I'm just going to think on that today. Budgeting home stuff is completely balls.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Discovering your tree guys inexplicably removed a small tree you planted two years ago is completely balls.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Found an interesting blog entry from a writer (and former editor!) on why manuscripts get rejected. Oh, the unfairness of it all.

Don't know if this makes me feel better or worse, heh: Link here

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Sunday evening full request is not balls! :D Wow, it's like 9pm in New York. Reading queries on a New York evening sounds nice.

Also, she remembered me from a partial she read back in 2010! Yay!

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Polly, that sucks! Becca - yay!

I've only heard crickets this weekend. Ready for some NEWS. Good or bad, at this point - it's better than the crickets.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
You're right Polly, that is completely balls! But congratulations Becca!

I'm with you Chelsea. It's been a few weeks since I've received any word, good or bad (having not received any good news, I'd say it's been never since I got that). I wish I wasn't querying so many non-responders :p But Wednesday marks the 4-week cut-off a lot of them gave me as a response time, so I can cross their names off the list and send to some more (I don't like to keep more than X amount of queries out).

I should probably put my query through QLH again.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Received a rejection for a short rejected last week. I then had an idea to strengthen the ending. So I went through the whole story and was horrifed at all the typos. Who the hell has been editing my stuff? I had made a major change to one section but the very first sentence after that section referenced the old scene! :( but more than that, I realized I had "it's" in every instance where it should have been possessive its. I hate it's/its! Hate it! Why at 55 do I still have a mental block on that one! Grr. Makes me wonder how many of the rejections for this story were based just on that! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.