The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
This new agent has emailed me four times today. I'm going to pretend she's really interested and not just really nosey.

One of her clients messaged me to say she reads super fast, too. At least I won't be waiting long. Anywhere from 4 days to 3 weeks. Good thing I have a boring school assembly to attend tomorrow. I won't be able to check my email every thirty seconds for at least two hours tomorrow. How will I survive?

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
so. I've gotten a......Tetanus Booster! WOOT!

Anyway. Just sent of material to agent's asst. and now am sitting around feeling all nervous because I hate not being able to control anything. I can't make them like it. Grrrr.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to Carleree, pollymilton, and everyone else with material out!

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Woo, carleree and polly!!! Good luck!!

Just one more comment on the "include or don't include unrequested sample pages in query":

Two of the three partial requests I received (out of five query attempts) were from just the query letter, as directed. I'm not policing anyone else or criticizing anyone else's way of doing things--everyone is entitled to their own process--but, FOR ME, following the rules doesn't seem to be doing me any harm either.

And this is one of the reasons sites like AW are so valuable...we each get to share our experiences.:D

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Stop complaining Polly. It's worse when you don't get requests. I sat through 5 books without a single request. This kind of waiting is much better. Trust me.

BTW, this new agent just wrote to say she's hoping she "falls in love with Everly". I heart her.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
I queried an agency that is full of younger "aspiring" agents, I guess, most of them not out of University yet. They're young, and probably don't have the contacts that a major publisher has... but their site was really well done, they gave their clients a really good bio on their site, and I feel like a smaller, more personal agency might be the one for me. Now I'll wait the two weeks until they reject me to call them kids who don't know better :p

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Saving my noise for the baseball game tonight. We have a newfound rivalry. Apparently, catching them cheating two days ago makes us the bad guys because "everyone does it." Their manager called ours "cowardly" and said no one would ever want to be on our team. Our manager called him a "wuss" and a few other things. The fans of both teams have been sniping at each other online for a couple days. Should be interesting...

My only news is that one of my NF betas emailed to ask how the book was going. I told her I've rewritten it, so she wants to see the new version.

No, I haven't heard from DJ.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm around. No news of significance here, given up on agents and trying a few direct subs to appropriate-looking publishers.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
No news here, just rejections slowly trickling in (better than silence, I guess).

I always hated that philosophy of "Expect nothing" because it seemed so hopeless and dreary. But honestly, the hope hurts worse. So, I'm back to expecting nothing. I've even gone so far as to pretend that all these pending submissions will all end up being "no's," so that I can figure out another plan of action (finish WIP, wait awhile, submit to agents/pubs next summer).

Plus, if anything does come of the current submissions, I'll be absolutely shocked. lol

Jerrygg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there are some who've made initial contact with agents that way and ended up with representation.

Welcome, Jerrygg. Four weeks to a novel? I'm impressed. I've had quick drafts, but they've been crap. I so enjoy not being the oldest one here now.

Thanks. I have been writing different things for 60 years ever since I was 13. Mostly I write scientific works or philosophical works. I self published 4 books. It was more of a hobby and not a money making enterprise.
However my books could never approach a wide audience. Mostly nerds. More from European nerds than US nerds.
My effort at a novel surprised me. My daughter liked it. I sent it out to several friends and am awaiting their response.
I am learning about agent rejection and query letters. Yet I bought the book "2012 Guide to Literary Agents". At least the lists of sci-fi agents are up to date (hopefully). The internet always gives agents from 2007. So now at least I have some possibilities.
To me this is a fun adventure.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Wow. I think my new query's working. I just got a request for a two-week exclusive. Can't grant it because I've got a full out, but still, it's great to be loved. Why can't every day be like this? :)

Tri, that all sounds really encouraging. Chelsea, stay positive. I'm near 100 rejections and non-responses, I think, over the 2.5 years I've been querying various versions of this novel. DJ, good luck with the publishers!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Wow. I think my new query's working. I just got a request for a two-week exclusive. Can't grant it because I've got a full out, but still, it's great to be loved. Why can't every day be like this? :)

Tri, that all sounds really encouraging. Chelsea, stay positive. I'm near 100 rejections and non-responses, I think, over the 2.5 years I've been querying various versions of this novel. DJ, good luck with the publishers!

I doff my fedora to such relentlessness! You're not a quitter. With you, it's only a matter of time. And good luck with that full request.

tri

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score

Congratulations! I'm happy the new QL is working well. Best of luck, my friend.
icon12.gif

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been writing different things for 60 years ever since I was 13. Mostly I write scientific works or philosophical works. I self published 4 books. It was more of a hobby and not a money making enterprise.
However my books could never approach a wide audience. Mostly nerds. More from European nerds than US nerds.
My effort at a novel surprised me. My daughter liked it. I sent it out to several friends and am awaiting their response.
I am learning about agent rejection and query letters. Yet I bought the book "2012 Guide to Literary Agents". At least the lists of sci-fi agents are up to date (hopefully). The internet always gives agents from 2007. So now at least I have some possibilities.
To me this is a fun adventure.

Do take a look at agentquery.com and querytracker.net if you haven't already. Those lists are fairly current (writers or the agents themselves report changes).

I've got many more rejections or nonresponses than Quickbread. I'm not sure if that warrants a fedora doffing or an intervention. Now that I've rewritten, these people can reject or ignore me all over again!

Carleree, there is something to this karma thing. The relief pitcher caught cheating (or about to cheat) two days ago was the losing pitcher tonight. I was expecting fireworks among the fans, but the supporters of the other side were keeping a very low, quiet profile.

Since you are so popular now, perhaps your bad karma has now been satisfied, assuaged, fulfilled, or whatever happens to bad karma before it goes away.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Quickbread--good for you! Best of luck!

What's that song say? "The waiting is the hardest part..."

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Carleree, there is something to this karma thing. The relief pitcher caught cheating (or about to cheat) two days ago was the losing pitcher tonight. I was expecting fireworks among the fans, but the supporters of the other side were keeping a very low, quiet profile.

Since you are so popular now, perhaps your bad karma has now been satisfied, assuaged, fulfilled, or whatever happens to bad karma before it goes away.
I don't think bad karma ever goes away. I think it hides and strikes again at the most inopportune moment. Now, I'm hoping I'm wrong here and that your theory is about to really come into play.
icon12.gif

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Beta number two loved the changes to the MS. Only errors she found were optional commas, so I feel pretty good about my chances with the two super agents. Fingers and toes are crossed. Which makes it difficult to type. Please forgive my silence from here, I'm busy wishing, hoping, and praying.
icon7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.