The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The comparison of rejections to dating makes me laugh. I'm going to start pretending all of my form rejections are just bad blind dates and when I don't get even a rejection, I'll think, "He's just not that into me."

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Or, as is more often the case with literary agents, she might just not be that into you.

If ya swing that way. ;)

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Two random thoughts --

I'm thinking of becoming an operatic librettist. You don't have to worry about character or plot believability. I went to one last night where the Asyrrians and Judean People's Front are fighting, the former win...but decide to become Jewish. But then they're all actually 19th century Italians who don't like the Hapsburgs. Add in a silly love triangle and wierd family dynamics, and stir.

I don't know if I'm more impressed now with Holtby or I should be worried about the game tomorrow. He became a father yesterday. I haven't been able to find out if his fiance was in labor during the last game. Maybe it's good game 7 isn't a home game, huh?

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
partial - lovely form rejection from agency that doesn't take anyone on. Why did I bother?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Snail mail rejection. Rejections are beginning to sound like courtships gone wrong. "It didn't stir my passions." "I didn't fall in love with it". :e2flowers:
that Emotio-AgentSpeak seems to be a newish fashion.

only seen it with US agents and one UK agent with a big US presence.

I assume there is an 'agent rejection resource blog' somewhere that they can pick a emoti-speak from.

Last edited:

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
that Emotio-AgentSpeak seems to be a newish fashion.

only seen it with US agents and one UK agent with a big US presence.

I assume there is an 'agent rejection resource blog' somewhere that they can pick a emoti-speak from.

It's hard to take seriously. A form reject is a form reject, shouldn't take any too seriously. But the language (or process, perhaps) is laughable. When it comes down to it, my book is supposed to do that to them. Excite them like there is no tomorrow so they can pimp my work out.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Aargh. Trying hard to rationalize the Caps loss. Let's see -

1. We'll now stop talking hockey on the rejection thread.
2. Holtby will now be able to spend time with his new son.
3. I'll now be able to watch one sport at a time.
4. I won't have to worry about the Caps ripping my heart out this year again.
5. My odd-even idea may have some confirmation. The Rangers won the odds; the Caps, the evens.
6. The Caps new system is working. But they've only been at it for half a season. Next year...

On a brighter note, I stopped procrastinating and rewrote my book proposal yesterday. I used to get to the sample chapters on page 35. Now it's on page 25. The agents wanted focus. I'll give them focus.

It's easier to cut the longer it's been since you wrote something, isn't it?

Now I've got to pack. We're going up to see my daughter get her masters degree tomorrow.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
What is this "baseball" you Yanks keep on about?
A sport with no crying. Where you might sell your soul so that Washington might beat the damn Yankees. Where you have pitchers that throw 100 mph (you'll need to convert that) but have no control (a la Nuke La Rushe in Bull Durham).

Actually, the last is true. That describes our closer.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Bull Durham.
icon12.gif

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
So, the Cleveland Indians are a good team right? I saw that in a movie once.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
It's my turn to bitch and moan. Dream agent has had my full for three months plus one week. Not a peep from her. And that super speedy agent? It'll be three months on Wednesday.

Do I nudge? Or is nudging essentially asking for a rejection?

I hate this.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
No, nudging is fine after three months. If the agent rejects you for nudging, they either had rejected your MS already, but forgot to tell you, or they're not the kind of agent you want anyhow. I've seen lots of the top 'good' agents talk about nudging, and how it's expected, so long as you're courteous and give plenty of time. They even appreciate it sometimes as manuscripts do occasionally slip between the cracks of a busy schedule.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Someone just told me nudging before 6 months on a full is pushy. Even sent me an article on QT about it. Three months for a partial, six for a full. I'm still on the fence. She's gotten back to the other people with fulls sent the same time as mine. Perhaps she's still considering it.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. It's easy to lose track of things when you're that busy. They might appreciate the reminder!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. It's easy to lose track of things when you're that busy. They might appreciate the reminder!
Honestly, I wouldn't know what to say. And she's my DREAM agent. I'd do anything to have her rep me, including giving her my son. But he's been a real brat lately. That might be why.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't know what to say. And she's my DREAM agent. I'd do anything to have her rep me, including giving her my son. But he's been a real brat lately. That might be why.

It must be nice having dream agents still. I remember a time where I used to dream of being represented by Donny Maass or some hot shot at Curtis Brown.

To be honest, my dream agent is the agent who says: "YES" at this point. Does this make me the literary version of a maleslut? :)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
It must be nice having dream agents still. I remember a time where I used to dream of being represented by Donny Maass or some hot shot at Curtis Brown.

To be honest, my dream agent is the agent who says: "YES" at this point. Does this make me the literary version of a maleslut? :)
No, I think that makes you a writer. This is my 5th book, the only one that went anywhere. I'm still kind of shocked this agent wanted to take a look. What are the chances the agents you dream about actually want to look at your stuff? In my case, it never happened. Until now. So I don't want to piss her off.

What irks me is that she's responded to everyone else who sent fulls the same time as me. Being left out only instills panic in me. What if she didn't get it? Has she even read it? Did she forget to send my form R? Is she still considering it?

I hate this part of the game, I really do, but it was worse when I wasn't getting any requests at all. And I still have three other fulls out and one partial. I'm not in a bad position, really. There's still well over a hundred agents I haven't queried yet. If I could just get some agent feedback, I'd know what to do next. Le sigh. Is it too early to start drinking?

If only football season would start. Then I'd have something else to stress over.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
No, I think that makes you a writer. This is my 5th book, the only one that went anywhere. I'm still kind of shocked this agent wanted to take a look. What are the chances the agents you dream about actually want to look at your stuff? In my case, it never happened. Until now. So I don't want to piss her off.

What irks me is that she's responded to everyone else who sent fulls the same time as me. Being left out only instills panic in me. What if she didn't get it? Has she even read it? Did she forget to send my form R? Is she still considering it?

I hate this part of the game, I really do, but it was worse when I wasn't getting any requests at all. And I still have three other fulls out and one partial. I'm not in a bad position, really. There's still well over a hundred agents I haven't queried yet. If I could just get some agent feedback, I'd know what to do next. Le sigh. Is it too early to start drinking?

If only football season would start. Then I'd have something else to stress over.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I'm on like my 9th or 10th... or 11th. I dunno. Lost track. Some of what I've written is so bad I repress it.

Only started getting warm on the one I pushed before my last, averaging about 1 out of 10 for partials, but after getting about 5 agents to tell me the same thing (Your MC is boring as hell), I decided to bottom drawer it. The manuscript has potential, I'm sure, but I had already finished my next one so I decided to move on. If I were to try and pitch 2+ novels at the same time, I'd lose my mind. lol

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the Indians lead their division, but their division isn't very good.

Not too early to drink on the east coast. First, though, caffeine. Fire alarm went off early at the hotel. Repeatedly. Then came girl-child's two graduation ceremonies, one for the entire university and one for the grad students. Ready to burst with pride. Or fall asleep.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
8th form rejection. They used to come on Fridays and Mondays, but now they just come on Mondays. Ah, gotta love Rejection Mondays. :p

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Someone just told me nudging before 6 months on a full is pushy. Even sent me an article on QT about it. Three months for a partial, six for a full. I'm still on the fence. She's gotten back to the other people with fulls sent the same time as mine. Perhaps she's still considering it.

Well, I would wait until 6 months too. Given you have heard different advice, I'd say follow what you're comfortable with, taking into consideration who is giving you the advice and may have a better sense of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.