The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Go Holtby!

Sent my husband to Costco alone today. Mistake. He brought home a BOX of brownies. Didn't he see the cupcakes I made? How fat does this man expect me to get?

*hands the rest of the cupcakes out*

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to hand out the brownies, too.

NF is down to 91,000 now. Sometimes, I amaze myself.;)

I still have lots of things to trim. Like when I :deadhorse

I have to get over my pesky habit of presenting every last bit of evidence supporting my position.

Absent an amazing flurry of goals, the Pens are going down. Yes!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Overjoyed at Crosby's failure. Now I might get a few months of not having to listen to him whine.

Also, keeping the husband because he is making breakfast and dinner today.

Brownies, unfortunately, are spoken for. I doubt I'll get one myself.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Aargh...another game that will come down to one goal. Overtime.

I don't know why I thought the Senators/Rangers game was tonight. Sorry if what I said before might be interpreted to say I wanted the Canucks to be eliminated. I don't.

Edit: Damn.

Last edited:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Damn is right. Now I'm worried about my game :(

Facing elimination (like the Bruins were), your team will fight harder. So the result of my game may indicate your team will win.

I don't call myself the goddess of rationalization for nothing.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Rationalize this, Hathor:

Beta reader who had the book I am querying now for months finally wrote back. Loved my writing, but was disappointed i didn't write the book she wished I had written. She felt so strongly about it, she skimmed everything she didn't like. So what didn't she like? All the stuff every other beta readers loved. Also, taking that stuff out leaves me with about 20k. I know reading is subjective, but come on! Give me something I can work with.

Debating on my jersey today. This could be my last chance to wear it. But. Every time I wear it, my team loses. But they could lose anyway and then I'll have missed my chance.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see:

1. You've gone to enough beta readers. You were due to find one that is wrong.

2. This is a subjective business. You've probably heard that one. ;)

3. She doesn't really know, because she skimmed.

4. She didn't understand the function of a beta reader, to look at an actual manuscript -- not commission a completely different book. (Question of degree, but if you're only left with 20,000 words, that's a different book.) That would be like a beta telling me to take the mystery out of my book and just have the romance.

5. Maybe something unrelated to the book is going on here. Like when my big sister reviews my work...

6. She doesn't like football :tongue

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see:

1. You've gone to enough beta readers. You were due to find one that is wrong.

2. This is a subjective business. You've probably heard that one. ;)

3. She doesn't really know, because she skimmed.

4. She didn't understand the function of a beta reader, to look at an actual manuscript -- not commission a completely different book. (Question of degree, but if you're only left with 20,000 words, that's a different book.) That would be like a beta telling me to take the mystery out of my book and just have the romance.

5. Maybe something unrelated to the book is going on here. Like when my big sister reviews my work...

6. She doesn't like football :tongue
:roll:She did essentially tell me to take out the mystery from my book so that all I was left with was the romance, only she didn't like the romance much either.

Oh well, moving on. I'll wait to make changes when the agents with my subs tell me what didn't work for them.

Game time. I'm wearing the jersey. But if they're sucktastic in the first half, I'll change into something else that might inspire some goal scoring. Not sure what that would be yet, but if I'm desperate enough, I'll figure it out.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. My football team went out much the same way.
icon9.gif

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I received an email today from an agency I queried back in 2010. It wasn't a rejection, but more of an email that stated my query might have been lost in a spam filter and that I should re-query if I was still in the market. However, it was a reply email from my initial query. Confused.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I received an email today from an agency I queried back in 2010. It wasn't a rejection, but more of an email that stated my query might have been lost in a spam filter and that I should re-query if I was still in the market. However, it was a reply email from my initial query. Confused.

Strange. But might as well requery :Shrug:

Carleree -- with sports luck like yours, we may need to make you an honorary Washingtonian.

DJ -- no, now you become a rabid Caps fan, at least through Wednesday.

An odd-numbered day, so I'll take a whack at rewriting my NF's conclusion. Yesterday, my prose stylings made me wince. I once thought this was good? And my betas did, too? Ah, yes, but my betas were a pyschologist, two lawyers, an economist, and three education professors.

I may requery some agents before hitting the small presses. Why not? It's been years since I've contacted some of them, and the book will be substantially rewritten and considerably shorter. The original first section is gone completely. The name of the book is even different. The worst they could do is reject or ignore me. I've lived through plenty of that.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score

They had hundreds of queries stuck in a spam filter. The assumption is that, given the age of the queries in question, you've either updated your material or moved on to something new.

It was an invitation to either send your updated query or whatever you're currently working on, along with an apology for the error.

I got one too.

Homonym with the opposite of day, if anyone's wondering.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
They had hundreds of queries stuck in a spam filter. The assumption is that, given the age of the queries in question, you've either updated your material or moved on to something new.

It was an invitation to either send your updated query or whatever you're currently working on, along with an apology for the error.

I got one too.

Homonym with the opposite of day, if anyone's wondering.
There were a ton of people who got that email.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were a ton of people who got that email.

Ohhh, in the case I don't think I will. I've moved on from that project for now, and I am sure the agency will be getting hundreds of re-queries. I'll save them for when I'm done with my WIP.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
R on a partial from an A lister, and an R for a query.

Request for a partial from another A lister.

No matter what I do I can't seem to get ahead, but at least I'm not falling behind.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
R on a partial from an A lister, and an R for a query.

Request for a partial from another A lister.

No matter what I do I can't seem to get ahead, but at least I'm not falling behind.
As my mentor says, it's a soul-sucking business. One step forward, two steps back. Hang in there, DJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.