The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Ah gee, flapperphilosopher (or may I call you "flapper?"), I wish I could give you some of my words :D I've got a whole list of how to be wordy, if you're interested. (Or really interested, very interested, somewhat interested, rather interested, interested at this point, etc.)

Low wordcount very well could be an adverse factor for you. What is the usual count for your genre? Any way to throw a bit more plot, etc. in there? I know, the last thing you want to hear. But be careful about this. I thought I was heading into novella length -- then I rejiggered things, and ended up with a trilogy of 100,000 (plus) works. I guess I'm an overachiever.

Thanks for your feedback on my NF situation.

Sorry about the new Rs everyone has reported. I need to finish rewriting and do some querying, so I too can be reporting Rs.

I need to calm down now and work. I just got back home after a rousing shouting match with an idiot in a parking lot. Reminded me of dealing with my local school system. (They're the ones who kept claiming "research shows" things it doesn't show, which is what my NF is about.)
Careful, Hathor. You sound like me at a gas station.

Flapper, I agree, the word count could be the problem. Adult fiction should be between 80k and 100k. Jessica Faust said 80k is the optimum number. I always aimed for 87k so I had room to chop it down and that usually worked for me.

And Hathor, I have zero problems with you going after a Canadian agent. Lord knows I've been trying to get an American agent for a while now.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Stop poaching our agents. It's like a gay man hitting on a woman you're interested in. Doesn't he have enough choice in his own backyard?

It's tough enough being a Canadian genre author.

Of course we're allowed to go after American agents still. That's different. :)

Okay, it may be silly. But my MC has a degree in Scottish history and is big on hating Campbells since she's a Macdonald. (Look up the Glencoe Massacre if this doesn't make sense to you.) There's a Canadian agent who's a Macdonald and handles my genre. (The US agent who's a Macdonald doesn't or is super-Christian -- can't remember which, just that I concluded he wouldn't like my book). In her firm is a Campbell, which might make for an interesting dynamic.

Actually, I may try for a Canadian agent or publisher for my NF, too. One of my blurbs comes from a professor in Vancouver. Her book is going to be published by the university press there...maybe she'd put in a word for me?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it may be silly. But my MC has a degree in Scottish history and is big on hating Campbells since she's a Macdonald. (Look up the Glencoe Massacre if this doesn't make sense to you.) There's a Canadian agent who's a Macdonald and handles my genre. (The US agent who's a Macdonald doesn't or is super-Christian -- can't remember which, just that I concluded he wouldn't like my book). In her firm is a Campbell, which might make for an interesting dynamic.

Actually, I may try for a Canadian agent or publisher for my NF, too. One of my blurbs comes from a professor in Vancouver. Her book is going to be published by the university press there...maybe she'd put in a word for me?
I'd get the quote if you can. It all helps.

But the McDonald agent in Canadian only reps YA and MG. She's the one I did the R & R for and she's brutal. I did a quick search on QT and she's the only one who came up with that name in Canada. Maybe you know of another one?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, she started it.
Sure she did. I believe you. Kind of.
icon12.gif

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'd get the quote if you can. It all helps.

But the McDonald agent in Canadian only reps YA and MG. She's the one I did the R & R for and she's brutal. I did a quick search on QT and she's the only one who came up with that name in Canada. Maybe you know of another one?

The McDonald agent reps that. The Macdonald agent reps mystery.

I already have the blurb. It's great -- even claims that seasoned professionals could learn from my book and it would make a good supplemental text. She said she'd write I knew more than a lot of her colleagues if that would help ;)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
The McDonald agent reps that. The Macdonald agent reps mystery.

I already have the blurb. It's great -- even claims that seasoned professionals could learn from my book and it would make a good supplemental text. She said she'd write I knew more than a lot of her colleagues if that would help ;)
Yay for the blurb. I figured you had a different agent in mind. Mine didn't make sense.

Also, just realized there are 8 more agents I can harass, I mean query, at WH. Woohoo!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Sure she did. I believe you. Kind of.
icon12.gif

She had us blocked with her SUV. On one side were parked cars -- not enough room to get by. On the other was a curb about four feet from her car. She indicated we had enough room on the second side (either refusing to look out and see the curb or to care) and started screaming we were in her way and she wasn't going to back up. I held my arms apart to show how much room we had on the second side and she cursed at me.

Then she moved her car and we would have had room, if someone hadn't backed up behind her in the meantime. Idiot woman was yelling something about, "Well, is this blanking enough room for you!" and wouldn't look behind her car where we were pointing and saying we were blocked.

Judge for yourself:Shrug:

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
She had us blocked with her SUV. On one side were parked cars -- not enough room to get by. On the other was a curb about four feet from her car. She indicated we had enough room on the second side (either refusing to look out and see the curb or to care) and started screaming we were in her way and she wasn't going to back up. I held my arms apart to show how much room we had on the second side and she cursed at me.

Then she moved her car and we would have had room, if someone hadn't backed up behind her in the meantime. Idiot woman was yelling something about, "Well, is this blanking enough room for you!" and wouldn't look behind her car where we were pointing and saying we were blocked.

Judge for yourself:Shrug:
See, that needed explaining. I'm going to take my kidlets to the mall now so I can yell at them in public. That's what usually happens. Some days I really wish I had a nanny.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
See, that needed explaining. I'm going to take my kidlets to the mall now so I can yell at them in public. That's what usually happens. Some days I really wish I had a nanny.

Bribe them...I mean offer positive reinforcement to them...with cookies. That's what I used to do. Worked like a charm. And I've got these professionals who say I'm an insightful educator and all.

The first educational breakthrough with my daughter came when the school program started offering M&Ms when she did something right. She now says she figured she'd better learn once chocolate was on the line.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score

Careful there, I am one of those Campbells. (it's not ALL Campbells, just us Black Campbells)

My mom used to get heckled by an old Scottish man on her way home from school because he found out about her family history.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score

Take them to the 4/20 celebrations. They'll be really mellow afterwards.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Careful there, I am one of those Campbells. (it's not ALL Campbells, just us Black Campbells)

My mom used to get heckled by an old Scottish man on her way home from school because he found out about her family history.

Oh dear. You know about that sign in a Scottish bar, right? "No dogs or Campbells."

A recent vacation found us with a fellow traveler by the name of Campbell. I pointed out my clan had been screwed over by the Campbells. He said, with a smile, "Could be. We screwed over lots of people." Did you know the name means "twisted mouth" in Gaelic?

But really, my MIL's deceased second husband was a sweet Campbell. You buy your wife chocolate, which is a good sign.

Edit: I never heard "Black Campbells" before. I always heard "Bloody Campbells."

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Officially it's Black Campbell. We have our own tartan and everything.

I think Bloody Campbell is a derogatory version of the name.

black_watch_or_campbell_tartan_speckcase-p176284418337475291z89os_400.jpg

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Well, everyone's gone home for the day. Still nothing but a tumbleweed and some belly-button lint in my mailbox.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all can bicker about the Campbells. I'm a MacLeod. We believe in fairies. Yes, we do. My next YA book is going to be about the Faerie Flag of Dunvegan.

And now I'd like to take a moment to thank the makers of Lego X-Box games who made shopping with my kidlets a dream day. Also, the people who make A & W fries saved me from complaints about my cooking.

Only one form R today. Very disappointing. I thought for sure I'd get a bunch. Perhaps Monday is the day I'll get them all.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Well, everyone's gone home for the day. Still nothing but a tumbleweed and some belly-button lint in my mailbox.

Maybe they don't want to miss the Flyers/Penguins game tonight. I'm tempted to watch in a rubbernecking sort of way.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Y'all can bicker about the Campbells. I'm a MacLeod. We believe in fairies. Yes, we do. My next YA book is going to be about the Faerie Flag of Dunvegan.

Well, I married into the Roses. My husband says their battle cry was "Who's winning?"

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
How much longer till the baby comes, DJ? And stop playing with your belly button.

Week after next.

The day before a big blog contest I want to enter. :(

Isn't navel-gazing part of the job description?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Week after next.

I giggled a little at your sad face. Who is unhappy that their baby is coming and they have to miss a blog contest? You're getting a freaking baby!!

At least you don't have long to wait now. Those last few days are the hardest. I got lucky, both my monsters came early.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Week after next.

Don't you guys mean when is the baby's due date? Babies seem to have their own timetables. My daughter was two weeks late. I took it into my head that she'd never be born; I'd just get bigger and bigger until I exploded.

What blog contest? Don't worry; I'm no competition, lacking a blog cuz I'm a dinosaur whatever.

I thought navel-gazing was just for those writing literary fiction? (I mean no disrespect to you folks who write it. I sure can't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.