The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
They're all flying to London this weekend. Hopefully they take the time to look at submissions and queries on the plane.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that for Bologna, but I still didn't hear anything. This will throw their response times off for another week. Watch, I won't hear a peep until four months and then they'll all respond the same day.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
He didn't practice today either, so he may be out for a while.

Not that I'd wish anyone ill... but it is Boston. I can be forgiven for that right?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Our green, third-string goalie did pretty well -- a shut-out for 60 minutes. Too bad we lacked an offense. The first two periods were painful to watch. (I'll miss game two, which I suppose means it will be great.)

On the other hand, the Nats won their home opener yesterday, in spite of themselves. This means they lead their division. The world is upside down.

At some point this weekend the finalists for Janet Reid's contest are being announced. I've already planned my retail therapy. This will call for more than booze or chocolate -- a definite jewelry time if ever there was one. Nothing like confidence, right? It may be an odd-numbered day, but it's Friday the frakking 13th.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Friday the thirteenth. Shouldn't the agents be clearing out their inboxes, spreading doom and gloom everywhere they go?
yes, if they were true agents.

current crop like to 'spare feelings' and such nonsense.

ah, the old days.

a snap, a hiss, a muttered curse, a damnation.

but nowadays?

silence.

bloody silence.

worse that any hex.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I understand they're busy with conventions and actual paying clients and all, but don't they realise they've got *my* genius manuscript in their hot little hands?

Surely that's more important.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I understand they're busy with conventions and actual paying clients and all, but don't they realise they've got *my* genius manuscript in their hot little hands?

Surely that's more important.

Maybe they're all Rangers fans and are prejudiced right now against anyone from another city with a team in the playoffs.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
yes, if they were true agents.

current crop like to 'spare feelings' and such nonsense.

ah, the old days.

a snap, a hiss, a muttered curse, a damnation.

but nowadays?

silence.

bloody silence.

worse that any hex.

Agreed. Many, many moons ago is was highly unusual for a publisher to fail to answer/comment on a submission. I mean it was REALLY rare. Of course, much of it then was snail mail. But even in the early days of the net, they were all pretty damn good about responding, especially the agents.

Today: Click. You. Gone. Forgotten.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. Many, many moons ago is what highly unusual for a publisher to fail to answer/comment on a submission. I mean it was REALLY rare. Of course, much of it then was snail mail. But even in the early days of the net, they were all pretty damn good about responding, especially the agents.

Today. Click. You. Gone. Forgotten.
even a scathing dismissive slash of abuse would be nice. :D

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an email at midnight EST (it's Saturday night) from the agent who's helping me with my query. She asked "are you still going to send me the MS?" (which we hadn't talked about) - so I did! And then i sent an email to the agent w/my partial who asked for a 2 week exclusive (timed out 10 days ago) and let her know that I'd had a full request but that she was one of my top choices.

Obvs. I felt powerful for about 10 seconds and then it wore off. But it was a good moment.

It's hard to let your book go out and have it be totally out of your control. I wish I could MAKE them like it. It's up to Maggie and Will now.

P.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, polly! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This must be the third good thing for yesterday. The Caps and Nats both won.

I didn't make the finals for the contest, alas. Enough silly dreams of not having to query my book at all.

Said book has also been rejected by machine. My latest beta's computer is in the shop for the second time. Makes me wonder if my work is so bad the computer doesn't want to boot up. :cry:

So I'm working on the NF, written before my study of writing technique. For it, I was concerned with what I was saying. Well, looking at it now, the content is great but my language...sheesh. I was a wordy little thing.

I guess bad things come in threes, too. Onward.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Congrats, Polly!

I just got an R from a query I sent back in early August. :Wha:

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
no one get too excited. it may mean nothing, and she may look at it and give it our favorite "I didn't connect the way I'd hoped" But if she's smart, she'll see it's a good book for book clubs and something women would like to read. Oh well. Got in our last day of skiing today - and both my children made it through the season with no injuries - what more could a mother ask?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Uhg, two big house rejections sent from agent this afternoon--two different books. Rejections along the lines of didn't connect and wasn't feeling it, but both praised the writing and the concepts. One said "Send More."

Well, okay. I sent the agent my latest YA distopian SF, which I think stands a really good chance. So that's four she'll have in the coffer. Unless I'm compelled to write more. I think four is enough for now. I'm tired.

tri

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Polly, while I like your enthusiasm, you're bordering on delusional. Careful, now.

Tri-I admire your ability to stick with it. One of these days it's going to pay off big time. Chin up, hon.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone *waves shyly*

I've just sent off a bunch of queries (3 about three wks ago, 6 a few days ago) and I got my first reply - and it was a rejection. A form rejection. And this was the agent who I'd read her wishlist and nearly died because it was like she was writing about my book. :( unhappy now...

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone *waves shyly*

I've just sent off a bunch of queries (3 about three wks ago, 6 a few days ago) and I got my first reply - and it was a rejection. A form rejection. And this was the agent who I'd read her wishlist and nearly died because it was like she was writing about my book. :( unhappy now...
*waves back* The exact same thing happened to me. And then the agents I thought I didn't have a shot at are the ones that requested my book. Keep going. You never know who's going to flip for your book.:Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.