The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. What? I don't know - are they traveling for the holidays or trapped at their in-laws?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I finally got the sub-list from ex-agent and it's good news!

It was sent to only four publishers and they're not among the top tier. One of the editors had some nice things to say, but decided to pass.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I finally got the sub-list from ex-agent and it's good news!

It was sent to only four publishers and they're not among the top tier. One of the editors had some nice things to say, but decided to pass.
Yay! Onward and upward, DJ.
icon12.gif

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the game is about to start. I hope we win. Then if both the Rangers and the Penguins pass the first round, they would play each other. That would be entertaining.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ha -- after 32 seconds in the first period, Ovechkin scored. The MSG crowd was not amused.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
OK, at 2:18, we scored again. The look on Tortorella's face was priceless.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah go Caps!

Vancouver had better beat Edmonton.

Looking good -- we scored again near the end of the first period. Second period just started.

If we win and Florida loses in regulation, we win the division. If we win and Florida gets a point, we finish seventh and get to try to deke Thomas out of his shorts again. (If we lose, we get the chance to eliminate the Rangers from the playoffs...yet again.)

I wish the Canucks luck. I don't want the Rangers to win the Presidents Trophy.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
They aren't happy. We just scored again.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Geez, are you sure you're playing the Rangers and not the Islanders?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Geez, are you sure you're playing the Rangers and not the Islanders?

We need to score again. They said Lundkvist hasn't given up more than four goals this season.

Eh, they just scored. Maybe I shouldn't have expressed such greed.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Game over, no further scoring. Pretty good when they had twice our shots on goal against our third best goaltender.

Unless the Canes come back, looks like we'll have the Bruins first round.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Man, a person goes out for a day and look what all happens.

Hathor, your NF book sounds fascinating. I also find it really hard to believe there's only a small market for this when autism/autistic symptoms are getting to be so prevalent. I think another look at your opening pages and query are in order, just to make sure you can't take them even further with your new superpower editing skills. Because the idea sounds really good to me.

Two things I noticed on your query: do you intentionally withhold the fact that Charlotte Rose is your daughter until the second paragraph? I thought that be a great reveal in the first sentence because it would make the hook even more emotional. But that's just me. The other is that I noticed a repeated phrase in paragraph 4, 4th sentence, that's also in paragraph 2.

Kim, sorry for the rejection. I've gotten similar language on responses, too. I'd just take the compliment about the compelling premise and not worry about the voice comment. That sounds stock to me and code for "just not for me."

Carleree, congratulations on the partial anyway. Sorry it ended in an R so fast. At least you got comments, hopefully something helpful.

DJ, congrats on getting your sub list finally. Sounds like there's a lot of life left in subbing it further. So if a new agent were to sell this book to a new editor, would they or the ex get the commission?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Quickbread. You're right: the query does need polishing. It's long, too, but that seems to be necessary so that people don't get wrong ideas about the book and know my qualifications (something NF queries have to cover).

I think I will change the beginning of the manuscript, too. The "this is where she started, this is where she ended up, this is what the book is about" approach may not draw readers in. Well, it didn't draw agents in, anyway :Shrug:

Congrats DJ and Carleree on the 'Nucks victory. I kept updating their homepage until I saw you guys scored, then went to bed.

It's bizarre. An even-numbered day and yet I've drafted answers to the questions Janet Reid is considering asking finalists in her contest. She and the other judges have finished the second round and there are two more rounds to go. No particular reason to believe I'm still in the running. But I thought it better to put down ideas now, rather than wait and go blank if I do get the chance to answer these questions.

Maybe I shouldn't have done that. Have I jinxed myself? Once you engage in magical thinking, it get complicated. ;)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
DJ, congrats on getting your sub list finally. Sounds like there's a lot of life left in subbing it further. So if a new agent were to sell this book to a new editor, would they or the ex get the commission?

She only gets a cut if I sign with one of the publishers she subbed to within the next 8 months. (9 from contract dissolution)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Janet Reid's post yesterday says it is six days until the "first finalist" is announced. So she's going to announce them one-by-one. Aargh...

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it was the fact that Starbucks accidentally made me a Grande drink instead of my usual Tall, but my nerves are especially bad today. :< Gotta concentrate on the new MS rather than obsessing over the R&R. The answer will come one way or the other...

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
So I had a very interesting conversation this am with super agent Je^&^y B%^t - I had bought a 30 minute query critique in a charity auction from her.

She said my letter was "intriguing and well written" and said I left lots out - no bio, no why I queried her, etc. She said had I said I held an MFA (in acting), that would have made her pick it up. Huh. We talked over our time limit, and I must admit, I was in sales mode a bit - she wanted to know how querying was going, and I told her I had one partial out ("Who?" was her answer).

So, I'm sending her some revisions, she's going to work it up, and hopefully I will have a more effective letter.

Polly

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
She was so fun. We had a really nice talk, even if she did tell me I had an accent (Oh RLY, Brooklyn?)

I felt like she was intrigued "This sounds like I book I'd like" - and I was certainly not shy about telling her why I wrote it and what I loved about it. I won't cross my fingers, but it was pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.