The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so one of my fulls just came back -- I got a very detailed rejection that was overflowing with praise for practically everything about the writing, the story, the characters, the execution ... except a certain something the agent couldn't articulate that's prompting her to step aside. Maybe she just didn't fall in love.

I just wanna be loved ... (sigh)....

Well, we love you.

It sounds like you are very close to me.

And polly, get all this out of your system today. Tomorrow is odd-numbered so you'll have to believe in yourself.

I never should have tried out test versions of different online editing programs on an even-numbered day. I can't say that I agree with advice I see. Such as: don't use the word "maybe" more than once in the first three chapters or I'd be overusing it? The word "farmers," by itself, is a cliche? Eh, I'm going to cool it with those things for now.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Thanks, Hathor. Feeling the love.

Actually, I went back and read the agent's email again. It's a really complimentary letter. She listed a great many things that she thinks the novel's accomplishing wonderfully. She said the only reason she couldn't offer to rep me, as much as she admired the book, was because she couldn't confidently identify that one thing that was off for her.

So all in all, I'm really happy for the feedback. If the novel's not quite there yet, it's really really close.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Your novel could be there. Agents have different tastes, just like regular readers do.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
It's an odd-numbered day. I've waited as long as I can to put gas in my car. *crossing fingers* Here's hoping I make it out of there without yelling at anyone or falling down.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It's an odd-numbered day. I've waited as long as I can to put gas in my car. *crossing fingers* Here's hoping I make it out of there without yelling at anyone or falling down.

That's the spirit.

The editor finally got back to me. He just saw my nudging email, said he'd been out of town. He's going to try to look at my chapters today. Gulp.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed, Hathor. This has been a very exciting and GOOD day for us both. So far. I managed to get gas without any drama. My card worked for the first time in months. I didn't even need to go in and talk to someone. AND I got out of a speeding ticket.
icon7.gif

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to jynx things here, but I just got a request from one of my A list agents. It's only a 50 pager from a query without pages attached, so fingers crossed the new edit turns more heads than the old.

Thanks again for your help Carleree.

Good things are supposed to happen in threes right?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to jynx things here, but I just got a request from one of my A list agents. It's only a 50 pager from a query without pages attached, so fingers crossed the new edit turns more heads than the old.

Thanks again for your help Carleree.

Good things are supposed to happen in threes right?

Woohoo! Congratulations! :e2woo:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats DJ.

And good job in avoiding catastrophe, Carleree. One day at a time ;)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, DJ.

What got you an itchy twitter finger today, Miss Carleree?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I thought twitter jail was when you went over 100 in an hour or 1000 in a day...

Why won't they let you load the connect page?

Oh, crap, the Cubs just scored. (I'm watching our first game of the season.)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I thought twitter jail was when you went over 100 in an hour or 1000 in a day...

Why won't they let you load the connect page?

Oh, crap, the Cubs just scored. (I'm watching our first game of the season.)
I don't know why I'm in twitter jail. I'm lucky like that.

And it looks like you really know how to pick your teams.
icon12.gif

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
And it looks like you really know how to pick your teams.
icon12.gif

It's that underground DC cult carefulwithwords told us about. The one that must destroy all hopes of sports glory.

But really, the Cubs are far more cursed, so we have a chance. (In all fairness, the wind is blowing in hard at Wrigley, so two balls we hit that would have been long homers most times weren't.) But then we now have Jason Werth-less... I shouldn't get started.

Tonights it's the Caps attempt to stay in playoff position. With two games to go, they might get third, seventh, or eighth seed or miss altogether...

Oh well, we have nice cherry blossoms and museums.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be keeping an eye on the scores, then.

I'm all ready for tonight. The house is clean. I've got my jersey on. Have kids in their jerseys. And, here's the best part, I'm picking up dinner tonight. No cooking, no dishes. I'm going to park it in front of the tv and live like a queen.

On a side note, I thought the agents would be clearing out the inboxes before the Easter break, but I'm not getting anything but AW alerts. What is that? Maybe they're allergic to me.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I'm sorry, DJ. But you still have some more out, right?

I had two out, picked up one and lost one today, for no net effect....

Until just now. :)

Request from Kristin Nelson. So... at least my query letter is working.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
Your novel could be there. Agents have different tastes, just like regular readers do.
I agree. Sometimes it's just a matter of taste. Not everyone likes broccoli! Don't give up! Look for other agents who represent writers who have written books in the same genre as yours. Good luck!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Quickbread and Carleree, you can uncross those fingers as far as I'm concerned.

Editor wrote:
This is well written and very interesting stuff. A very valuable book. However, it isn’t the type of book we’re currently being successful with given a very poor and picky marketplace at present.

I would like to be able to consider this in the near future should our market improve. In the meantime, feel free to shop it around to other publishers, but let me know down the road if it’s still available and if our market is more amendable at that time, I would seriously consider it and would quite like to publish it.

Not quite sure how to read this. He could have stopped the letter after the first paragraph.

It would have been nice if he would have asked for my proposal, which contained a market analysis. But I can't argue with someone who deals with the market, I guess.

Maybe I should do what my husband suggests, changing the title to "Curing Autism With Quantum Crystal Power." That title would be inaccurate, but maybe I could justify it in a "made you look, didn't I?" sort of way.

Looks like I need to research small presses now. What is the best way? Writers' Market?

Oh, oh... Caps just scored. And my husband brought me a glass of wine. I will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.