The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
"Just curious -- do you guys also get constant spam from Canadian pharmacies offering you cut-rate prescriptions?"

:ROFL:

I queried Janet R. two days before she closed to queries, and I never heard back, which sounds really odd for her. Now I don't know if I should consider following up before July since she's now technically closed.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
She's probably swamped with the contest. Any followup now would probably be ignored.

How did your first day at work go?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Sigh. My full manuscript was just rejected. The agent in question unfortunately had it for over four months. Her comments were encouraging (she said I write well and that it's an accomplished story), but alas a rejection is a rejection.

This is the third agent to pass on my full manuscript. All three were quite positive and said that it was close to an accept. One agent rejected it because he had an established author working on a similar project (I know the author and book, and he's right: they are similar).

So, I'm a little bummed. But, though my hopes were up, I expected disappointment all along. I've gotten to that point in my life where I expect all my hopes to be dashed. Sad, yes, and painful, but at least I know it's coming.

Even so, I'm not as bummed as I thought I would be. The positive feedback from those three agents is encouraging, and I keep thinking it's a matter of time before I catch the right agent at the right time.

There I go again. Hoping. Silly me. Oh well.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
You're not being silly at all. Positive comments from all three agents that have read your full (plus having three agents who've chosen to read it) mean you are close.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
angeliz2k, I agree with Hathor. You're really close with that kind of feedback. Sounds like it's just a matter of finding the right fit.

Hathor, work was good. Thanks for asking. It's actually where I used to work before I went freelance, and a lot of the people are the same. So it's sort of like home in a way. If I can just get used to regular working hours, all will be well I think.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Angeliz-that's heartbreaking. But I do think if you got that close before, an acceptance is right around the corner. Keep at it. *hug*

QB-so glad everything is working out for you with the new job.

Hathor-The only spam I get is for medication to enlarge my penis. But mine's already huge and I delete those speedy quick.

I sent an email to the fast-responding agent to see if they received my submission. I didn't ask if it was read, or why haven't I heard. Instead I asked if they wanted me to resend it if they didn't get it in the first place.

Thankfully there's a hockey game on tonight and I can stress about that instead for a while.

Oh, and my first beta for my sequel loved the first 5 chapters and said she couldn't wait to read more. Woot! I should get another chunk of chapter edits back sometime today.
icon7.gif

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Speedy agent has two other requests ahead of mine unanswered. I looked up all the clients on her list (from her website) and she only has two YA authors, nothing like my book. But she's been requesting a lot of YA lately so I guess she's trying to build her list. I think that works in my favor.

Nothing yet from her assistant about whether or not my submission was received. Fingers crossed.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
OK, even though that does make it hard to type.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Rejections are hitting harder this time around. Sucks... I thought I was past this stage.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I'll feel better when I get a new agent, or at least the sub list from my ex-agent.

With two pages of editor notes, they must be interested in a second look, that would be a huge plus for my query.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Two requests, one had it when I signed, one was a referral. One referral is a non-responder so far and the other who was looking at my MS when I signed seems uninterested (but will look at it if/when I get the sub list/editor responses).

Five rejections. Considering I haven't had a single request based entirely on merit, I'm beginning to harbour serious doubts.

Baby on the way in a little over a month, cash is tight and I have a stress cramp in my neck that won't go away.

I've been avoiding bringing up the whole story so far 'cause I didn't want to come off whiny.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Two requests, one had it when I signed, one was a referral. One referral is a non-responder so far and the other who was looking at my MS when I signed seems uninterested (but will look at it if/when I get the sub list/editor responses).

Five rejections. Considering I haven't had a single request based entirely on merit, I'm beginning to harbour serious doubts.

Baby on the way in a little over a month, cash is tight and I have a stress cramp in my neck that won't go away.

I've been avoiding bringing up the whole story so far 'cause I didn't want to come off whiny.
First, congrats on the baby :)

Second, 5 isn't many rejections. you know that. Give it some time. How long did it take the first time round? Months, right? It's only been a couple weeks.

Sit back, watch some hockey and feel better. It'll happen. I'm sure of it.

And lastly, whining is part of this thread. It's kinda the point! whine away!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Five rejections, and no requests on a manuscript that's been agented and gone through the wringer with editors, seen a massive overhaul, then been rejected by the agent who'd agreed to rep it in the first place.

I just thought things might be easier this time around.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Listen to Carleree. She's a smart woman. (Except for the dustup at the gas station and her hair-coloring fiasco. Am I leaving anything out? ;))

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
D - congratulations on the baby! Something always comes along, although not always in the way we thought.

I wish I had something to tell you. I don't know what will become of your MS, but I don't think it sounds like it's time to throw in the towel on this one just yet.

As for me, I don't know....

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
More bad news... I just found out my ex-agent is entitled to her cut if I sell my MS to any of the publishers she's contacted in the next nine months, even though she dropped the ball on me entirely.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
More bad news... I just found out my ex-agent is entitled to her cut if I sell my MS to any of the publishers she's contacted in the next nine months, even though she dropped the ball on me entirely.
That makes sense to me. She made the first contact/pitch and got the publisher interested. Why should another agent make the commission on the work she'd done initially?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Aug, my favorite, highest paying magazine just rejected my fifth submission--they've accepted the previous four and paid on the spot. Apparently the focus of the article was too narrow, and I had a damn feeling that it was. Alas, I'll think up something more general and widely popular. Guh. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

tri

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, thanks Hathor.

Anytime, sweetie. Or was that meant sarcastically?

You have nothing on me. Remember, I queried over 200 agents with a letter referring to my "forward."

Status
Not open for further replies.