The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
You guys have got to stop this. Everytime I see on the task bar that I have an email, my heart jumps and I stop what I'm doing so I can check it out.

I suppose the logical thing to do would be to close my email program altogether. Only I can't bring myself to do that.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting this just to torment Hathor. Aren't you glad you came back from vacation?

I feel the same way, though. I get all excited when the email program says I have new mail, but it's just Hathor whining about email or polly harassing me on twitter :) Still, I smile a lot. And eat cupcakes. Want one?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It would have to be a virtual cupcake. I just spent two weeks looking at myself in a swimsuit :eek:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
What I need to do is go on vacation tours with old people (I mean really old, even older than me). I would look so good, so fit in comparison. Yeah, that sounds kind of nasty. But isn't that one of the perogatives of age?

With these active vacations, most of the women I see are young enough to be my daughter.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Back to real life here, dream agent who has had my full for 6 weeks just offered rep to someone who submitted two weeks after me. I hate when they read out of order. Or has she read mine and just not had time to offer because of Bologna? *bites nails to nubs* I hate waiting.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
What happened at the pool today was this:
Accidentally whacked old man on butt while I was backstroking and didn't see him cross the lane to climb the ladder out.
Then old lady in dressing room said: "Oh honey, you're not going to wear a bra?"
Me: "Oh I do, but I forgot it."
Her:"Well thank heavens!"

Yup. That's what's up around here.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Wow, Polly. I can't believe a woman said that to you.

Carleree, I was just thinking earlier about that full to quick-responder and was wondering if you'd heard anything.

Started a full-time job today, for the first time in five years. As far as work situations go, it's a super fabulous job. But I'm really nervous about how it will impact my novel-writing time. I got up early today to write for an hour before I got ready for work. Didn't get much done because I'm still fishing for the right voice for my new character. I hope I can make that early rising a daily habit.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
So much for Aphrodite, polly :(

Quickbread, I hate waking early. I feel your pain. I hope the new job stays fabulous.

Nothing from not-so-speedy agent. Not a peep. I'm deluding myself into thinking it's a good sign. But the waiting is getting to me. I know it can take months, but she shouldn't. She never does. Maybe she didn't get my MS, but I'm too chicken to ask.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
So much for Aphrodite, polly :(

Quickbread, I hate waking early. I feel your pain. I hope the new job stays fabulous.

Nothing from not-so-speedy agent. Not a peep. I'm deluding myself into thinking it's a good sign. But the waiting is getting to me. I know it can take months, but she shouldn't. She never does. Maybe she didn't get my MS, but I'm too chicken to ask.

Sorry, polly, but your story is funny. I've trained myself to say "pardon me" with a stony look on my face when people are rude. Too difficult to come up with unique or good responses on the fly. One time I got so angry at a business I told them they would "rue the day" if they did something. I didn't even know that people actually use that expression anymore.

Good luck at the job, Quickbread, and in continuing to write.

Carleree, you can check about her getting the MS but I think it is too early for that. Maybe at the two or three months mark? Just a simple, "I wanted to touch base with you about my manuscript send to you on X," etc. Nothing that could be construed as nagging ("have you read it," "when are you going to read it," or the like). I've had a few agents that asked me to resend.

That editor didn't respond yesterday. He's always replied in one or two days. Urk. Maybe he was struck by a meteor...or can't figure out a way to say no to a book with a foreword written by one of the authors he's worked with? Waiting is harder than writing.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Back when I was querying, I really appreciated the agent that updated her blog with the date of queries she'd read to - so if you hadn't gotten a response, she didn't receive it. I sent again from a different e-mail address and that one got through.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, I thought the old lady was funny. You know, just random.

Also, Quickbread, congratulations on the job! You can make it work, I'm sure. And if not, you'll fix that too!

Waiting. I think I'm going to break up with waiting.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, I thought the old lady was funny. You know, just random.

Also, Quickbread, congratulations on the job! You can make it work, I'm sure. And if not, you'll fix that too!

Waiting. I think I'm going to break up with waiting.
You've only been waiting for a week or so. I've been at it for 7 weeks. I get to break up with waiting first. Get in line.
icon12.gif

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not waiting for anything special...except to have extramarital relations with Aaron Rodgers.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Getting back on track, I've been stalking the agents with my fulls just as thoroughly as I stalk quarterbacks and their pretty brothers. Super speedy agent usually responds to fulls within 12 days, according to querytracker. Writerscafe.org says 3 weeks for full manuscripts. It's been 5 weeks for me. Maybe she didn't get it afterall?

Yes, I am slowly turning into a crazy person. Okay, not so slowly. What do I do?

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Given Bologna and the upcoming London Book Fair, I'd say a couple extra weeks beyond average does't seem like cause for worry yet.

Not that it makes waiting any easier, of course. Are you getting busy with the next WIP?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Given Bologna and the upcoming London Book Fair, I'd say a couple extra weeks beyond average does't seem like cause for worry yet.

Not that it makes waiting any easier, of course. Are you getting busy with the next WIP?
I finished the next book in the series and sent it to my first beta. I've also worked out the plot problems for the last book in the trilogy. I edited 3 chapters today and 2 yesterday for a friend. I updated my blog. I've been busy-especially with my son's problems, and even had company-a first for the last two years.

I'm just not a patient person. The wait is killing me.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit, Carleree, you're right. Then how the hell do you know what Luke even looks like?

RE: waiting. I think you can do nothing at this point. Don't email, don't call, nothing. DO NOT. Stay strong.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Whew, sounds like you need a breather more than anything with all that productivity. How's your son healing?
I keep busy to distract myself from my silent inbox. Thanks for asking about my son. He's not healing, actually. He hasn't lost those teeth yet, and it will be months before we know if they're viable, but one has turned black. Not good. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.