The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to be in a good mood today.

Yesterday -- another week went by without the editor rejecting my NF; I repaired the plot/character problems in book 2 of the F; I was able to get out of the house and eat more solid food (healing of my palate is going well)

Last night -- the Capitals won; we managed to have a wind storm without a limb falling and spearing our roof (for once); stocked up on my favorite Scotch

This morning -- I used my newly honed pruning skills to cut my overly long F query by nearly 100 words (and I think it's actually better)

I'm going to work on paring book 2 today, since it also runs long and I'm in a tightening-language groove.

Boo-yaa!

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
SEND ME THE NEW QUERY.

And Julie, I am sorry. Back in the stone age, when I was auditioning for grad schools, I didn't get the ones I wanted. So I waited a year, and the next year they fought over me. True story. Hang in there.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thing is, for grad schools (as with agents) you only need one.

I don't know about your field. But if it's one with a stipend involved, spots can be scarce given university finance issues. My daughter was upset to be turned down by a couple places -- only to find out they didn't accept anyone that year. Where she got in only accepted one Ph.D. candidate.

So hang in there.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often say that about the lottery Hathor. You only need to win once :D

Hugh_Mann

Decapod 10
Registered
Reaction score
I received 50-75 rejections on my first novel before I gave up and started devoting myself wholly to finishing my second novel. I realized that my first novel was utter crap, as first novels tend to be, and I wrote the thing off as a learning experience. I suppose 50-75 is a little early to give up, but the results for the pile that was my first would've been the same for another 50-75.

julief

Hardly here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm applying for PhD in psychology and the acceptance rate is something like 2% of applicants so I knew going in the odds. Just sucked to get it all on one day. And it may happen that way again since I have a few more schools left to hear from and 9 queries out. I'm better today, not taking it super personal.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're feeling better. If we took things personally, we'd give up -- then where would we be?

(Well, I take things personally, vent about it, and then move on. Same ultimate result :D)

Here's a rationalization I offer for your consideration: would it have been any better to have to deal with a drip of rejection over time? Another: at least they responded to you.

I'm sure you'll hang in there. You have the training to do so. ;)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
If I knew how to speed up the super-fast agent for you, I would. Hang in there.

I've posted one of the latest iterations of my stinky query over at the public query slushpile. http://openquery.blogspot.com/
Any and all comments welcome.

(And hell, if you don't like this one, I have nine others. I jest not.)

My problem is that my book is a romantic mystery, meaning both the romance and the mystery are equally important. As far as the mystery is concerned, it isn't a whodoneit -- more of a "what did they do, if anything, and what should I do about it." So I don't have one precipitating incident or piece of evidence, rather the drip, drip, drip of incongruities, puzzling occurrences, lies, etc. If I explain too much, the query is too long. If I explain too little, it doesn't seem like much of a mystery.

My latest version, unseen by anyone, involves a paragraph of questions: why this? why that? Maybe that would make things clearer (and shorter), but I don't know how kosher that is in a query.

On a happier note, the stitches in my mouth finally fell out. Yesterday I had this string hanging down, which I could do nothing about since the end was attached. It was driving me nuts.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed my last two posts advised people to "hang in there." I'm blaming the pain medicine for my lack of imagination (the old "diminished capacity" defense).

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Hathor. It will pass.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking or eating anything when I read this. You see, I seem to have swallowed the thread that had been used for my stitches...

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why but I really expect to get slammed, hammered and hosed by the four book packagers I just sent proposals to. I have a very bad feeling about this. I feel like racking up those rejections right now and getting it over with.

The benefit of expecting rejection is that you'll at least have the satisfaction of being right.

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
The benefit of expecting rejection is that you'll at least have the satisfaction of being right.

LOL aint that the darn truth!

Still haven't heard from the agents who have my material now on 2 months and counting....

Got a request for another partial last night. So I guess those 75 queries (I wish I were exaggerating) I sent out last month didn't actually fall into a black hole.

This is my ms's last gasp, guys. Here goes nothing.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Careful -- congrats on the partial.

No, this isn't your manuscript's last gasp. There's always going to small presses by yourself...

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Where is my next rejection? I was a good girl and sent out the story. *sighs*

Feeling the same way! :D

It's been almost a year waiting for my rejection!! I'm sure the submission was lost but it still makes me angry. What's so special about those other writers that they got their rejections and I didn't get mine!!? *huff!*

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
Feeling the same way! :D

It's been almost a year waiting for my rejection!! I'm sure the submission was lost but it still makes me angry. What's so special about those other writers that they got their rejections and I didn't get mine!!? *huff!*

I really am tempted to start an anonymous "name and shame" blog where writers can out these agents who can't be bothered to send a form R on requested material. To me that's about as low as an agent gets. Personally, I dread it. Though so far it hasn't happened to me.

Hathor, I read your query and replied with my thoughts. I hope it helps.

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
No, this isn't your manuscript's last gasp. There's always going to small presses by yourself...

oh lord. I shudder to think...I'm tired of this submission crap. I want to go back to writing again :::whine::: when the world was a butterfly and smelled of roses and there was hope and everything was shiny and beautiful....

I also had a pretty complicated story to Query. A lot of characters and two completely different story lines. It was pretty tough, but I can DM the query to you, if you'd like to take a look. Maybe it will give you some ideas. My story is a tough sell, I've heard there's not much of a market for gay moroccan boys and converts to Islam. But this query has gotten me almost a dozen requests. Vs. last query I sent out for it, which got me exactly 1 request.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Careful -- I've posted a new response on that other board.

It's frustrating. I'm told, "Explain the mystery." Well, the mystery is...figuring out what the mystery is. Suspicious things keep happening but the protag can't figure out why until well past the half way point of the book. She thinks there is criminal activity, but isn't sure and doesn't even know what exact crimes are involved.

Meanwhile, there's a romance going on, that is sort of tied to the mystery. But there isn't enough physical danger through the entire book to call it romantic suspense (plus that would indicate the relationship is satisfactorily resolved at the end of the book, and it isn't).

I would be glad to look at your successful query. But, uh, what's does DM mean? As pollymilton will tell you, I'm a dinosaur dork :D

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'd like to go back to writing (something other than my damn query from hell). Seems like I'm doing more subtracting of text than addition these days.

Meanwhile, this editor has had the first three chapters of my NF for five weeks. He said he'd get to it in a week or two. Does this mean he's busy? He's uncertain? He's interested but has to talk to others? He's preparing a list of how he wants me to change the book? He's so turned off by my book he deleted the chapters and our email conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.