The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry Tri, I know it doesn't mean much to hear, but you shouldn't give up :) Never say die!!!

Carrie-Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com
I recently got a rejection for an agency I'd queried 8 months ago and long since written off as a rejection. I know a lot of agents are busy people and can't be expected to get back immediately, but do agents with such a long response time really think we're still expecting to hear from them after so many months?

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
0 for 2 on submissions for my short story. Got my rejection letter from Ear Hustler Magazine today :(

Still waiting to hear back from a couple other places. Fingers crossed!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I was getting ready to query, preparing my list of agents, when I found one of my A-list dream agents is closing to queries tomorrow for several months. I'm very happy with my QL and first five pages, so I sent it in. She's typically fast to respond, under two weeks. My wait has begun.

I won't start querying widely until the end of December, but I had to take a shot. That being said, I've been out of the game for so long, I forgot how hard it is to hit send. I came close to hyperventillating. Maybe it's because this book is a completely different genre than what I've written before. But it seemed harder this time.

At any rate, I've got one out for now, more to follow soon. I've already started checking my email every two minutes. I'm hopeless. Somebody please hold my hand!! Or pass me a drink. One of those.
icon10.gif

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2drunk: I couldn't find a hold hand smiley, this will do right? :e2moon:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with this one Carleree. Then come join us in the next circle of hell... :e2apple:

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
This thread has been pretty dead since a few of us moved on to the next circle. I have a ton of editor revisions to go through, so NaNo was pretty much a bust for me anyhow.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Caralee - you're not alone. I just haven't checked in here in a little while. I have one partial and four fulls out, and some encouraging correspondence with an agent that upgraded a partial to a full. So I've generally been feeling upbeat.

But here's a chuckle...opened my inbox yesterday to see an e-mail from an agent I queried marked "Urgent!" Of course, my breath stopped, and visions of literary celebrity flashed before my eyes as the message loaded up.

It was a stinking form rejection! Why she felt it was urgent to tell me she was passing on just a query letter, I'll never know. Kinda rubs salt in the wounds.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
And you keep your chin up, girl -- I know how well you write. It's just a matter of time until we see you in the Next Circle of Hell! (And hopefully not too much time.)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy! Gorgeous Trailer!

I changed my email provider, that must be why it was returned. I'll check my settings :) And thank you for the compliment. I love my new book, by far the best I've written. Betas love it! How's that for a nice change! Hahaha! In two weeks I'll be querying like a mad woman, and I cannot wait to see you in the next circle. *hug* thank you for the constant encouragement. I appreciate it far more than you know.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewfinnieportfolio.blogspot.com
Oh yes. :) I figure agents are people too. Never hurts to be nice! They are not likely to reject me twice as I won't approach them again.... so I haven't burnt my bridges.

I hope :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
No, you haven't burnt any bridges. They probably won't remember you a year from now, but it is considered bad form to send follow-ups, even polite follow-ups to a query rejection.

And, unless you intend for your first book to be your last you could very well end up querying the same agents again. Not many people make it on their first try. There are plenty here who are still going after a dozen tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.