Status
Not open for further replies.

D.M.Drake

Working hard, loving every second!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kourageouskidsstorybooks.com
It's usually best to not work from the top of your list down. Most of us find that we begin querying too early and our queries/manuscripts are only at their best when we're nearly out of agents to query.

Maybe it works differently for you, but that's been my observation. Pick a cross-section each time, if you're getting a lot of requests and you think you've finally hit your stride, THEN hit the good agents.

You seem to know what you are talking about, how long should I wait to re-query an agent with a new query letter? Thanks! :D

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't really re-query unless the manuscript has gone through a severe overhaul. I have seen agent guidelines that say 6 months minimum, but many agents will not take it kindly if they remember your original query.

IMO, unless your manuscript has changed so dramatically that you feel it really is an entirely different book, you're better off writing something new and querying again. The problems you had the first time 'round are likely to repeat and you won't be doing yourself any favours. If you feel the book is so good it has to get out there, just shelf it and wait until your next book earns you rep.

When looking at what to write next look at high concept. That is the #1 thing agents look for. Nathan Brandsford did a good blog post on high concept while he was still an agent, I highly recommend his article, I blogged about it as well. I have an agent now, but my credentials otherwise don't measure up to Brandsford's.

If you decide to re-work this manuscript instead of moving on to the next I recommend you look at ways to strengthen the high concept. Especially in the query.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You shouldn't really re-query unless the manuscript has gone through a severe overhaul. I have seen agent guidelines that say 6 months minimum, but many agents will not take it kindly if they remember your original query.

IMO, unless your manuscript has changed so dramatically that you feel it really is an entirely different book, you're better off writing something new and querying again. The problems you had the first time 'round are likely to repeat and you won't be doing yourself any favours. If you feel the book is so good it has to get out there, just shelf it and wait until your next book earns you rep.

When looking at what to write next look at high concept. That is the #1 thing agents look for. Nathan Brandsford did a good blog post on high concept while he was still an agent, I highly recommend his article, I blogged about it as well. I have an agent now, but my credentials otherwise don't measure up to Brandsford's.

If you decide to re-work this manuscript instead of moving on to the next I recommend you look at ways to strengthen the high concept. Especially in the query.

Thank you!

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Received a form rejection today (Oct 24th) on a query I sent out on August 11th. I'm curious to see if I get more responses as the arrow of time keeps moving and the entropy of the universe increases. ;)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed, hanging out at the next level (authors with agents trying to get published), is how many people there used to be regulars in this thread. You guys should work at keeping it alive, I think the shared experience and encouragement from this thread is very helpful.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dear Drake,

Thanks very much for your query, but this isn't quite right for Heide's list. Best wishes in finding the perfect home for your work.

Sincerely,

Rachael Dillon Fried
Assistant to Heide Lange

3 days ago. Have a partial out with another agent though! :D

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I miss querying. After you've spent 6 months without a rejection, you get depressed not to have them coming in every day. Few more months and I should be back in the rejection game.
icon12.gif

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've had three rejections this week: one from Mac and the AW anthology for a short story that didn't quite fit, one form rejection on a sf novel query, and I didn't make the October Secret Agent Contest winner's list over on Miss Snark's First Victim blog.

So, I sent out some revenge queries today.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
I've had three rejections this week: one from Mac and the AW anthology for a short story that didn't quite fit, one form rejection on a sf novel query, and I didn't make the October Secret Agent Contest winner's list over on Miss Snark's First Victim blog.

So, I sent out some revenge queries today.

Revenge queries! That's what I've been doing lately, but I didn't know what to call it. I've gotten 21 rejections, 5 full requests and 3 of those turned into rejections - all over the past two months. Two full requests are still out there, but I'm getting worried. The rejections are hurting less though since I've thrown a wide net and expect that my manuscript is a stretch for many of the agents I've recently queried. Soldiering on...

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Good to hear from you guys! Nothing to report on my end - it's been nothing but revisions lately. My editorial letter was fantabulous and incredibly helpful, but there's a lot of work to be done, and I'm trying to take the time to do it right. And it's sort of strange not to be afraid of my e-mail anymore. Every time I check it I still half-expect to see an agent's name pop up!

Hoping to see some awesome news here soon!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I miss querying. After you've spent 6 months without a rejection, you get depressed not to have them coming in every day. Few more months and I should be back in the rejection game.
icon12.gif
Heh, tell me about it. At least when I was querying, I had some control over my fate, I was moving. I knew who wanted me and who didn't. Now I'm helpless, waiting for my agent to "get back to me" on the latest round of submissions. There's a reason why we call the agented-but-not-published thread "The Next Circle of Hell."

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, with ya there Plum. I thought things would be better with an agent, but it just feels like I'm out of the loop. I can't even send out revenge queries!

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm annoyed with a partial being out, I want to go back and revise. It's as if I already know it isn't good enough and I want to change it. Got another rejection though. I am actually happier with the rejections, at least I know. Not waiting on pins and needles. Time for some revenge querying! :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Revise, by all means, revise. I went through three major revisions after starting to query on my most recent MS, the first round I had 1 request, the second a few, by the third I was doing pretty well, and the final revision had me hitting about 30% requests, and got me an agent.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Revise, by all means, revise. I went through three major revisions after starting to query on my most recent MS, the first round I had 1 request, the second a few, by the third I was doing pretty well, and the final revision had me hitting about 30% requests, and got me an agent.

I thought it was a no-no to revise while out on partial. You mean I can? *Gasps in joy*

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Not at all. Some agents get offended if you send them a manuscript and then a month or two later ask to send an updated version. But in my experience most agents are cool with that. I know lots of people who have sent out a full that was updated from a partial the agent had received earlier, I've never heard of a complaint from an agent.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not at all. Some agents get offended if you send them a manuscript and then a month or two later ask to send an updated version. But in my experience most agents are cool with that. I know lots of people who have sent out a full that was updated from a partial the agent had received earlier, I've never heard of a complaint from an agent.

*hugs Drachen* Yay! I'm off to revise! Thank you!

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, with ya there Plum. I thought things would be better with an agent, but it just feels like I'm out of the loop. I can't even send out revenge queries!

Will be joining you there soon, Drachen! Definitely time to continue working on that other book. Damn. No more excuses. ;)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ouch, got a big one yesterday from HC, through agent. She loved the premise and praised the character, and it grabbed her but didn't hold her. Yuck.

The thriller is down to three last (agent) subs on the second round, while the YA fantasy is starting a second round. The ghost story is sitting on deck. I have to re-create that last 30 pages or so of my newest YA distopian 'cause my frickin motherboard fried and I lost it. That'll teach me to back things up...but I did onto a flash drive but it got washed in my jeans.

Tri

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks tri. I've washed my flash drive a half dozen times and it still works fine.

Your motherboard shouldn't have an impact on stored data on the drive.

JaneCampbell

Registered
Reaction score
I literally stopped counting how many rejections I've received. They basically say the same thing verbatim. If I hear one more agent say, "I wish you the best of luck," I'll scream for sure!! :rant:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Very true. My story is on the hard drive. Now if I can just figure out a way to intall it in my current computer and retrieve the file.

Tri

One way that works for any computer. Figure out what size it is and what connections it has. Go to your local computer store that has more than the usual crap (ie. NOT Futureshop, I like NCIX, but I'm not sure if they'd have an outlet near you). Ask for a hard drive enclosure that fits the drive, which should cost $20-25 (you could just bring the drive in). Install the drive and plug it in to your USB port, it is now a USB drive.

Alternately find someone who's a bit techy like me and just ask nicely if they can put it in your computer, most computers have room for an extra drive and it's literally about a 2 minute job.

Rob Lefebvre

Ass kicker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.throwthediceproductions.com
I cam into this a bit late. I got one yesterday. The good news is that I only had to wait for a day to get it. On the bright side I have several more queries out currently.

It seems like is agents just wanted to see a full with query letter it would save a lot of time. If they are going o reject it based off of the synopsis that is fine, the can still reject it. Why get our hopes up by asking for a full and than dashing them again when they reject that. May as well get it all out of the way at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.