The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm nervous as hell. I waited a few hours before even responding. If I'd written it right away it would probably have come out as gibberish.

It still hasn't quite sunk in yet. She's a really good agent, a perfect fit for my manuscript and even wrote a successful book on writing for the YA market.

In all I think I'd be hard pressed to find a better fit. All of which means I'll probably be a wreck by Friday.

Thanks everyone for your support, I really appreciate it. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I don't blame you - that's a long time to wait! But I am keeping my fingers crossed for awesome news.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
delurking...drachen phone call is a super good sign!!! good luck!!!

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Phew. Just when I was about to stare in the abyss another request came in. Total so far: 17 rejections on the query, 3 read requests.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually not a bad ratio. Anything over 10% seems to be pretty good, if you get over 25% you're doing very well. Most people who come through here who manage 10% or better from the start seem to find representation sooner or later. Many of us take a few months of rejections with few requests to fine-tune our pitch to the point where we get over a 10% positive response rate.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Latest query went out to 2 agents. One asked for a partial, one passed with a just-above-form rejection. I'm not querying anyone else until agent #1 gets back with me. I'm trying to stay positive on this. The mms is already at a publisher, through odd and unlikely fate, and an editor wrote back yesterday about wanting to get some more reads of it in-house. But she also gave me the go-ahead to shop it to other publishers.

The part of me that still daydreams is wondering about the possibility of an auction. Agent #1 has been known to do this...

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Everything is crossed! Good luck!

On second thoughts, you may find it hard to type or walk if you keep 'em all crossed from now until then. It could be rather awkward.

From what I gather these phone calls are mostly to filter out the crazies who are either difficult to work with or refuse to take criticism of their work, so I think I'll be okay. I am crazy of course, just not in that way.

I really appreciate the positive thoughts though, only one more day to get through before 'the call'.

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
That's actually not a bad ratio. Anything over 10% seems to be pretty good, if you get over 25% you're doing very well. Most people who come through here who manage 10% or better from the start seem to find representation sooner or later. Many of us take a few months of rejections with few requests to fine-tune our pitch to the point where we get over a 10% positive response rate.

Here's to the triumph of hope over experience :D

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
So far I'm batting at 0%, though I've only queried 7 agencies. I think my query definitely needs work.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm at 50 queries (different versions, same project), two partial requests, and no takers -- yet. I have 100 agents on my list to query. Partial #2 came from a re-query to an agent who rejected me in the first round two years ago. And yes, I've done query letter hell. It helped, but I'm not relying on it.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Drachen, it is 10:52 AM, PST. Crossing fingers. Please update us asap.
Polly

Yeah, same here. I'm getting nervous and it isn't even for me.

It's time for some good news, don't you all think?

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a request from a big agency and have another request from a referral. So now batting, out of 22 responses to the query, 18 rejections and 5 read requests.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Drachen, it is 10:52 AM, PST. Crossing fingers. Please update us asap.
Polly

I'm just slowly climbing the walls here. A telemarketer just called, I took a few deep breaths and picked up the phone with my best cheerful, "Hello?" Only to hear some recorded message about credit cards.

Augh!

If she doesn't call by around 4:30 NY time I think I'll call her.

I made the mistake of brewing myself a second coffee this morning which isn't helping either.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least I have a contact with her. She sent off a quick e-mail to say she's super busy and to ask if she can call as late as 4 (my time I presume since she sent the mail at 4:00 her time). Or she could call me Monday.

Guess which option I picked.

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least I have a contact with her. She sent off a quick e-mail to say she's super busy and to ask if she can call as late as 4 (my time I presume since she sent the mail at 4:00 her time). Or she could call me Monday.

Go Drachen!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score

I'm on the edge of my seat here, Drachen. Can't wait to hear the details!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
The phone call went well, but she wants a bit more time before tabling an offer. She wants to look at some placement options.

In any case, it was a good call, she seems really nice and loved the book.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
drachen, exactly what my agent did. I know it's hard, but be patient...it will work out...

Status
Not open for further replies.