The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or are the crickets out in force right now? My inbox is quieter than Charlie Sheen's frontal lobe.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
The part about Charlie Sheen's frontal lobe or the crickets? ;)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh uh crickets. I mean, I've never seen charlie sheen's frontal lobe :)

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
The crickets were out in force for me for the first three days of this week, but then today I received two R's on old queries. Last week I received a request for a partial, and I'm still awaiting word on the revised full.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I've certainly got my share of crickets over here. Time to make some cocktails and pull up a chair - it's going to be a long wait.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am really dying because I am waiting on a full, when the request came many other people also got requests for a full and since then some of them have been rejected (I know I am almost a cyber stalker) but I still have no word. Ugh...

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I am really dying because I am waiting on a full, when the request came many other people also got requests for a full and since then some of them have been rejected (I know I am almost a cyber stalker) but I still have no word. Ugh...

I'm in the same situation with one of my fulls! The agent requested mine on 5/1, and he's been steadily rejecting other fulls from the rest of May... but not mine yet. He confirmed receipt, so I know he has it. Just have to be patient!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Where do you guys get all the info? Agent blogs? I usually just check Beweares Reccomendations... here and Query Tracker to see how they're progressing on reading.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look here mostly and then I check querytracker. That little convo bubble means a new comment has been made. People are pretty quick at updating their status.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nevermind about that full just got the reject. I wish I would have gotten mine back when everyone else got theirs.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I got a rejection for a full that they had for a book that's already out. Glad I didn't wait the year it took for them to get back to me after no response to my nudges. :p

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, sorry Syd, that sucks. I'm sitting with 2 partial and 2 full out right now so any one id not likely to sting too much. But there is one great agency, one pretty good one and two mediocre ones, so it really depends.

Meanwhile I wait and try to keep my hopes as low as possible.

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Another one today. At least she didn't wait until Friday afternoon. I must say, however, that it was the kindest R I've gotten so far.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Devil. I like your attitude. I'm a warrior. They're not going to keep me down.

Just got rejected by a very famous editor, who had some very nice things to say about the concept. Although he clearly misidentified my genre by a mile and gave that as the primary reason for rejection. He said that he didn't publish contemporary SF as of yet, but it was one of his favorite genres, and he planned to pursue it in the future when he had established a backlist. He said he was looking for various types of character-driven thrillers.

I. Sent. Him. A. Straight espionage thriller, character-driven just like he'd asked for in his guidelines. My title to my book is Diane Nine and The Fusion Machine. And that DOES sound like a YA SF book. You see, he got no further than the title itself. (I am going to change this stupid title)

I couldn't let this one rest. I politely wrote back to him and clarified the mistake he made. I said it was a moot point as far as any decision went, but I couldn't in all truth, let him R me like that without knowing what he'd done.

Tri

Dude! I totally feel you. I've gotten rejections because the 'dialogue is not riveting enough' but the agent only had three pages, of which there were a limited amount of characters/dialogue. He did however say he liked my concept too.

I think agents/editors are so over-queried, they decide to pursue further based on the first minute of reading lol

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
@Carleree. Yes, it did help.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Sydney! I am so bummed for you.

I didn't get a rejection today, but I did sing Katy Perry's Teenage Dream while I was vacuuming today. And the lesbian cops next door were working in their yard and giggling at me.

DAMMIT I am so cool!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
It's getting close to the critical date--two months since the first query for this ms was sent out. Most agents say that's when their lack of reply can be officially considered a rejection, so.
And this is kind of weird... I have about 30 queries out there, got about 10 form rejections so far and 1 full request, and that's it. No partials. Strange dynamics, I'd think it meant total fail if not for the full request. But if it's interesting enough to generate a full request from a popular agent, why is there such a total lack of interest from all other agents? *puzzled*

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Because everyone is different. It confuses me too, but that's what I've come up with. That said, I think that it's probably time to look at your query again...it can't hurt, can it?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Back from vacation -- and no word from anyone. Sigh. With several old submissions, I've pretty much figured that "no response means no." One from October I nudged over a month ago and was told to resubmit and he'd get back to me "shortly." Uh huh. (This is a proposal, not a full.)

I also have a huge number of queries that have never been graced with a response.

If folks say no response in a certain amount of time (specified) means no, I'm cool with that. It is the not knowing that gets to me. But then, all of you know exactly what I mean.

At what point to I start rewriting as some agents have suggested and/or go to small publishers myself? I guess I know the answer to that...now.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I have about 30 queries out there, got about 10 form rejections so far and 1 full request, and that's it. No partials. Strange dynamics, I'd think it meant total fail if not for the full request. But if it's interesting enough to generate a full request from a popular agent, why is there such a total lack of interest from all other agents? *puzzled*

Most agents request either partials or fulls, sometimes an agent who requests partials will jump straight to a full if the writer has good credentials or something, but otherwise it's just their policy.

When a partial request turns around and becomes a full, that is significant, but a partial vs full off a query makes little difference unless there are a lot of pages attached to the initial query (which makes it sort of like a partial to begin with).

Writing is a tough gig. Remember you're competing with thousands of other writers for a handful of spots and very few succeed on their first try. Many are still failing after ten tries, although, most who get that far will find some level of success. If your book fails to catch on you just have to figure out how to do better on the next one.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have a question. I'm trying to find an agent that represents a specific author. The problem is, I don't know who the agent is. I came across a site a long time ago that let you type in the author's name and it would tell you the agent, but I can't find it now. Have any of you found a site like that? Or am I stuck going through agent query and the like?

Status
Not open for further replies.