Status
Not open for further replies.

AntheaL

Mostly Cheerful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthealawson.com
She's a colleague of an agent who requested material a few weeks ago, I sent her the prologue, which I later decided should simply be scrapped. So I updated my submission to chapter 1. She responded saying she'd already read the prologue, it was a no from her and I only get one kick at the cat, but she did really like the concept ('very cool' were her exact words).

It does sound like your work is doing *something* anyway. Does that first agent still have your requested material? I was a little confused by your timeline. :) At any rate, good luck with it!

AntheaL

Mostly Cheerful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthealawson.com
Aww Duchess, bummer on the multiple Rs~

Hathor, you know this, but trust your gut about your work, and making any changes. :)

Dreamstate, welcome! Glad my link to your cool blog ended up hauling you officially into AW. Personally, I took a lot of comfort in the stats you posted, no matter how 'unscientific' they might be. ;)

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, I'm not quite sure of the accuracy of my gut. I fear that I wrote the book that people should want, rather than the one they do.

Warning: I discuss my book now. Anyone who isn't interested is free to disregard. No one even need respond. My feelings won't be hurt. It helps me simply to explain.

The book is about my daughter's education.

When she was 2, we were told that she was in at the bottom of the first percentile of intelligence, would most likely continue to be nonverbal (both receptive and expressive), had autistic-like behaviors that meant there was something wrong with her brain functioning and that would never change, and that she would need to live in a group home. Now she is an honors graduate of an Ivy League college, in grad school in another, and conversant with multiple languages.

So my book describes the struggle and work to get from one extreme to the other. It was a slow process--lots of work, lots of research, lots of fighting with the school system, and finally, my homeschooling her. The facts that seem so dry to agents are the sorts of things that I wish someone would have told me, about how to research, about what "experts" know and don't know, about special education law, and so on.

Several agents have told me the story is interesting but I should stick to it and not get all science-y or legal on people in an attempt to prove my case. I was a lawyer in a previous life--and old habits are hard to break.

Maybe there is some way of putting the dry stuff in the back of the book or a website (to be developed) for those who want it. Or I can make it personal--the agent liked my writing when I was doing that part.

Oh well, it's great having you all here to listen. My husband is kind of fed up at this point--says just to go to smaller, more academic presses that aren't frightened by the citation of evidence.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I also am a high achiever, but not in anything acceptable for discussion here.
Welcome, Dreamstate - I am pretty new too - asked a question, got it answered, and learn from others experiences.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Hathor -
Well, if it helps, can you look to other books (Other than Jenny McCarthy's book) about the autism spectrum and families dealing?

My son has anaphylaxis to several foods and I know that I found the books that featured true to life stories about how to deal, rather than super dry stats, etc. were more helpful. But that's just me.

We go to school with a family right now that I'm sure would commit murder to read a book about your journey - it's one that sounds similar to their daughter.

I hope you can get it out there.
Polly

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. But let's not talk about Miss Jenny. I obviously didn't plan my career appropriately.

I've read so many "my kid has special needs" books I could scream (and I probably have). Being famous seems to help in terms of being published.

Interesting thing is that my daughter wasn't on the spectrum officially at any point... by luck, she received intensive therapy (for autism) and her supposed inherent, permanent problems evaporated. Then her "severe language impairment" and her "learning disability" did too, slowly over the years. Her measured IQ went up and up, until we stopped getting the tests because they meant nothing.

So many kids...according to those dry statistics...could benefit the way my daughter did. But they aren't getting the therapy, even though, long term, it is cheaper for society.

But I'm ranting... If I'm not careful, I'll start citing scientific studies to all of you. :eek:

Last edited:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor I feel ya. It is almost like, if you arent Oprah, or someone like her, then you cant tell people the best way, and why you feel that way is best. Perhaps the agents are afraid it will come off too "preachy."

I think your story sounds interesting. To me it is because you were one of the parents that didn't get a diagnosis for your child. I am not trying to say the parents who got a diagnosis had an easier time, but with the public system having certain programs only available to those who qualify, it is harder...

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor, I was a special education teacher and then a sped administrator in my former life. I look back and can tell anyone the names of my kids who today would be identified autistic. I have for years now been devouring books on autism even though I have no direct contact with children any more. I agree that many would kill to read what you did and how you did it. I don't know what your statistics are, but I hope you don't give up. For serious people who would attempt to replicate what you did, you have to get all science-y and legal or it won't be of any real use.

(Got another R myself tonight. Oh well. )

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, all. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Diagnoses are tricky things sometimes. I could discuss this at great length, but I'll spare you.

I find it interesting that the agents with special needs kids are still telling me to lose the academic-sounding stuff, or to personalize it somehow. (But damn, I even discuss what statistics I know :eek: )

There may be a way to satisfy everyone. I have to stop dithering and just try.

But first I want to get my novel query-ready. I suppose having a three-page synopsis instead of a two-page one isn't the end of the world.

Speaking of which... we tried to find a good party to celebrate the coming apocalypse but couldn't find anything local. Anyone planning anything interesting for tonight?

Maybe I shouldn't joke. My poor, hapless Nationals managed to score 17 runs last night--a sure a sign of the end times as I can imagine.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Ummmm. Nothing much in Seattle, so we're going to the beach. (Cold!)

If people are bored, they could always go over to Query Letter Hell and check my letter. Hot Irish Men! Whisky! What else do we need?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ummmm. Nothing much in Seattle, so we're going to the beach. (Cold!)

If people are bored, they could always go over to Query Letter Hell and check my letter. Hot Irish Men! Whisky! What else do we need?

Hot Scottish Men! Scotch! ;)

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Got a rejection today from a publisher considered to be "major" for my limited genre. Strangely, it didn't bother me that much, probably because of the reason I wrote the piece in the first place, which was for my own amusement. I have put in a huge amount of time and effort with editing and revisions so it is not as if I am submitting an unpolished project because I wrote it for fun or am not taking it seriously. I just figure if I strike out with all the available publishers, I can always brave the stigma and publish it myself. I guess we all have our delusions of grandeur.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Guess I have my query, huh? Hot Scottish Men! Scotch! Let me know if you want to know more...

It's a mystery. But you can't go wrong with hot Scottish men and Scotch. Well, you can, but maybe you don't mind so much...

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Oh HELL no, you don't mind.

My new query is "Smoking hot Irish Brothers! Whisky! Betrayal! Good Sex! Shut up and read it!"

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am ready to request more from both of you :D

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, who's going to write: hot Dutch men! Genever! Or: hot Russian men! Vodka!

I think we might create a series...

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will take Hot Spanish Men! Tequila!

Oooo or Hot Greek Men! Ouzo!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Still available--Hot Southern Men! Bourbon! Rye! Southern Comfort! Moonshine!

Status
Not open for further replies.