The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Fulls range anywhere from about a day to two months. On my last novel I had four or five full requests and two of them never got back to me in spite of being gently prodded.

If it runs over three months it's okay to prod, but odds are it's not lost, they just never got back to you (which is never good news).

Check QueryTracker, they have stats for each agent's response times.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I have a good rejection/failure story ...

So I stopped the query party to go on a job interview last week. I got in there, was very qualified for the position (content management), and had what I thought was a successful interview about the job responsibilities, company strategy, my experience managing a large team of off-site writers, etc. So far, so good.

Then they gave me a "writing exercise," which I promptly failed. Basically, I blanked and couldn't come up with enough text, and what I did come up with was awful. I think what happened was a combination of (a) being nervous, (b) not knowing the product well enough yet to fake marketing copy, and (c) not being used to being watched while I write. I usually write at home or, when working full-time, was in a position that I had worked up to and felt comfortable at, so I didn't feel stress or blocked about deadlines. But there I was in a strange place, with a bunch of people waiting on me, stymied, with absolutely nothing to say. At a certain point, I just gave up and gave them what I had.

I give myself credit for not panicking on the spot, but I felt like I had failed.

So I walked out of there thinking how badly I had done, even though the sort of copywriting they tested me on isn't a big part of the job. I guess the good part of the trial is that it made me question whether I even wanted the job. So Depressing Factor #1 was failing. Depressing Factor #2: The Sequel was realizing that I probably don't want the job anyway.

By Thursday, I was feeling polly-wolly crappy and thinking that job-hunting is far worse than querying.

Meanwhile, a chorus of crickets sang in my mailbox. Bummed about the declining likelihood of finding work, I forgot about queries for FOUR full days ... until I got a reject on my only partial. It had a slight personalized tweak, but it's still a form reject. Sigh.

It reminded me to get back to querying, but before I could say "once is not enough," I got a snail-mail rejection on a submission I sent to a small press—a submission that they've already rejected. When I submitted in early March, I got a form rejection right away in the self-addressed envelope I gave them. So I'd written them off a full month ago. But then this week, I get ANOTHER form reject in a hand-addressed company envelope. That last part is weird because they explicitly say that they don't follow up if you don't provide a SASE. But then they bothered to use one of their own envelopes to reject me—AGAIN.

I had to laugh. Up and down. Up and down. Somehow, I counted that last one as an "up."

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
I have a good rejection/failure story ...

So I stopped the query party to go on a job interview last week. I got in there, was very qualified for the position (content management), and had what I thought was a successful interview about the job responsibilities, company strategy, my experience managing a large team of off-site writers, etc. So far, so good.

Then they gave me a "writing exercise," which I promptly failed. Basically, I blanked and couldn't come up with enough text, and what I did come up with was awful. I think what happened was a combination of (a) being nervous, (b) not knowing the product well enough yet to fake marketing copy, and (c) not being used to being watched while I write. I usually write at home or, when working full-time, was in a position that I had worked up to and felt comfortable at, so I didn't feel stress or blocked about deadlines. But there I was in a strange place, with a bunch of people waiting on me, stymied, with absolutely nothing to say. At a certain point, I just gave up and gave them what I had.

I give myself credit for not panicking on the spot, but I felt like I had failed.

So I walked out of there thinking how badly I had done, even though the sort of copywriting they tested me on isn't a big part of the job. I guess the good part of the trial is that it made me question whether I even wanted the job. So Depressing Factor #1 was failing. Depressing Factor #2: The Sequel was realizing that I probably don't want the job anyway.

By Thursday, I was feeling polly-wolly crappy and thinking that job-hunting is far worse than querying.

Meanwhile, a chorus of crickets sang in my mailbox. Bummed about the declining likelihood of finding work, I forgot about queries for FOUR full days ... until I got a reject on my only partial. It had a slight personalized tweak, but it's still a form reject. Sigh.

It reminded me to get back to querying, but before I could say "once is not enough," I got a snail-mail rejection on a submission I sent to a small press—a submission that they've already rejected. When I submitted in early March, I got a form rejection right away in the self-addressed envelope I gave them. So I'd written them off a full month ago. But then this week, I get ANOTHER form reject in a hand-addressed company envelope. That last part is weird because they explicitly say that they don't follow up if you don't provide a SASE. But then they bothered to use one of their own envelopes to reject me—AGAIN.

I had to laugh. Up and down. Up and down. Somehow, I counted that last one as an "up."

It's all par for the course, mkcbunny. If it makes you feel any better, things are not going well for me at the moment, either.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
By the time I went to bed last night, I had 11 more new queries sent. This morning, there was already two rejection letters. One of them was very reminiscent of that other one I received recently. "Although this sounds quite interesting ..." this one stated.

I did not need to read any further. If it "sounds quite interesting," then why didn't the guy want to read it? I guess that's the life of an agent. I'll remember that if I ever become one.

Hmmmm. The story described in this query sounds quite interesting. It really has piqued my interest. I've never come across anything quite like it. I better get back to this author immediately and tell him I am not interested in representing him. Yes, that is what I'll do, and pronto. That would be the most logical course of action.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
It's all par for the course, mkcbunny. If it makes you feel any better, things are not going well for me at the moment, either.

Well, I'd feel better if you were feeling better. :)

My situation is cheerier at least. Crickets in the query inbox, but a couple of friends have job opportunities for me, so any one of them could turn into something. Yay!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, dream agents look at queries on the weekends apparently! Just got a partial request from one of the top agents repping my genre.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! It's hard to say where it will go, since the first contact was query only and she only asked for five pages. At least I know the query letter is doing its job.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Kristin Nelson posted on her blog yesterday that they're requesting and signing a lot of authors right now. So, if you're querying Chick Lit, Commercial Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Literary Fiction, Middle Grade, Multicultural, Romance, Science Fiction, Women's Fiction or Young Adult now might be the time to send her one.

Also, on a completely different note. Does this happen to anyone else? When your manuscript is done and you've spent the last few weeks polishing little nitpicks, it's all just as perfect as you can make it. However, the minute you send out a bunch of queries you spot a whole ton of stupid mistakes that you really need to fix.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bad news on my full :(

Luckily it was late enough when I got the email for vodka :p

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
R on mine too.

5:00 in the evening is early enough for vodka in your books Syd? Well then count me in!

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
R on mine too.

5:00 in the evening is early enough for vodka in your books Syd? Well then count me in!

hehe, drawback to being a bartender. I figure if I am past noon, I am doing better than most of my customers.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejected manuscripts, folks. I still haven't heard anything on mine yet, but I did receive another QR today. I'm very close to self-publishing the thing. In fact, I've been preparing for it. A friend is designing a cover for me, I've been going through the thing with a fine-tooth comb, and I've been playing around with the Kindle applications to e-publish. I just can't play this waiting game with agents anymore. When I am ready to self-publish, I'm going to contact the agent who requested the full to see where he's at with it. I'll give him a chance before I move forward with this on my own. I'm actually excited about possibly e-publishing it.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's back on the horse for me. 12 new queries in the last two days, ditching the prologue which doesn't have as strong a hook as chapter 1. Hopefully that change will switch up my luck, I was always iffy on the prologue but a lot of people told me they really liked it so I left it in for round 1.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I've now hit the first full week of my new round of querying. The first part was very eventful: two form Rs, two partial requests, and one full request. One of those partials was subsequently rejected, but I was eating amazing sushi at the time, so that took the sting off of things.

But it's been dead quiet since Monday night. I forgot how nervewracking it is to go through those prolonged query silences. It feels like a wave of rejections is going to hit at any time...

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Banner day! Two rejections. The good news is, I'm finally querying again. *rummages around for query hat*

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Hello everyone. Must join the ranks :( Got two rejections today. One from from an agency I thought would really like my story. They had the full, but just didn't connect. Maybe I'll start sending to publishers instead...

This is for my picture book. Most publishers, with the exception of the biggies, take unagented. I wanted to try the agent route first. Better to have someone in your corner :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
The crickets are deafening in my inbox. After 1 partial request last week I haven't heard a thing.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I got the worst, most horrible, most heartbreaking rejection ever. "Thanks for telling me about your novel, but I just sold a novel with a very similar theme."

I REALLY hope this is just a nice form rejection.

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Hello...mind if I join you? :)

Just had my very first rejection for my very first novel - ouch! It was a rejection on a full, BUT a very nice one from a really amazing agent...she said she was impressed by my writing style and creative imagination, just not strong enough in such hard times for debut writers, but she'd be happy to consider my next novel if still looking for an agent in the future.

I'm very happy with that, but can't help feeling a bit...well. You know.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the smell of form rejection in the morning. Today's was my third in a batch of 10 sent out over the last 2 weeks. *Gives query letter a dirty look*

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Hello...mind if I join you? :)

Just had my very first rejection for my very first novel - ouch! It was a rejection on a full, BUT a very nice one from a really amazing agent...she said she was impressed by my writing style and creative imagination, just not strong enough in such hard times for debut writers, but she'd be happy to consider my next novel if still looking for an agent in the future.

I'm very happy with that, but can't help feeling a bit...well. You know.

Isabelle, I got very similar feedback on my very first rejection on my first novel. That agent is currently reading my new manuscript. They really do mean it when they say 'submit your next project to me!'

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection recently - at least it was a nice one :p And I already knew I wasn't ready to show people these pages. SHE asked for them, but still, it was a rejection! hehe. And she had very nice things to say about my writing and my project. It just wasn't a fit for her. Maybe not for MG either. LOL.

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
Isabelle, I got very similar feedback on my very first rejection on my first novel. That agent is currently reading my new manuscript. They really do mean it when they say 'submit your next project to me!'
That's good to hear! And best of luck with your manuscript...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.