The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
The use of "although" actually deemed the balance of the sentence unnecessary. "...

And another thing ... I have also realized that many of these letters make heavy use of the word "afraid." Why, I submit, would an agent be "afraid" that she can't offer representation? ...

This entire post cracked me up. So funny. I think agents sould just send us rejections that have one of three words: "Although," "however," or "afraid." Hah.

On a funny form-reject note, I got one today wherein the "Dear Name" part was a different font and color from the rest of the pasted form letter. This made me laugh because it's a clear indication of form rejection where only the salutation has been changed. It's basically what my worst fear is about my own submissions, that the custom parts are somehow going to be obvious (even though I reformat the font every time).

Anyway, it's the kind of thing that makes us writers look bad, but it's OK for the agents' rejections. Another "hah."

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I had an epiphany. I think I'm marketing my book in the wrong genre. That could totally change my game. Query round #2 is looking a whole lot closer.

I was doing that last year. I'd pegged it as literary fiction when the more marketable "upmarket women's fiction" was equally applicable. I think it does make a difference. Every little thing does.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I was doing that last year. I'd pegged it as literary fiction when the more marketable "upmarket women's fiction" was equally applicable. I think it does make a difference. Every little thing does.
I've been calling this book commecial fiction, but so much of it is true-98%- I think I would have a better shot marketing it as narrative non-fiction, especially since I feel the need to explain that I researched the subject for 8 years and based it all on primary sources and verifiable events.

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
Received Rejection #13 today, snail mail-style. Ever notice that rejection letters always seem to include the words "however" or "although?" The one today made use of the word "although." A promising admission on the part of the rejector was simultaneously tempered by the brilliant use of the word in question. "Although we found your idea interesting ..." began the second paragraph in this abrupt correspondence, a revelation I immediately contrued as something tantamount to a beautiful woman telling me she finds me attractive, but that she's already engaged to another guy. The use of "although" actually deemed the balance of the sentence unnecessary. "... I am afraid we are unable to offer you representation," the sentence ended. Now, I ask you, was the remainder of the sentence overkill? Would I have understood where this thing was heading had the agent simply ended this particular paragraph at the word "interesting ..."?

And another thing ... I have also realized that many of these letters make heavy use of the word "afraid." Why, I submit, would an agent be "afraid" that she can't offer representation? If an agent is "afraid" that she is unable to offer representation, then why not offer representation instead? If I was afraid of jumping off a diving board, I wouldn't do it. If I was afraid of reading a Stephen King novel, I wouldn't do it. With that in mind, if I was an agent who was afraid that I could not offer representation to somebody, I'd offer representation.

I see "subjective business" and "endeavors" quite a lot.

The only thing that's stranger is when they offer specific criticism, and it turns out that that's part of their form letter. "Highly original" isn't really something an agent should just throw out there.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Okay ... if the odds are 1 in 10 for a cold full to be picked up, and there was only one request to read the full, then that means my only hope is that the agent who requested the full just happens to be that special one out of a potential 10 agents who is interested in my novel.

Of course, the problem here is that I would need nine more agents to request to read the full in order to up my chances. Which brings us back to the one agent who did request the full. Is he the one who will provide the call?

Now, if you divide E=MC2 by the binomial theorum, multiply the result by Element 119, and then subtract that figure from The Triangle Inequality, the answer, of course, is the square root of an isosceles trapezoid.

The bottom line is, as we all know, anything is possible in this crazy universe. Drachen Jager is absolutely correct in that, as it stands, my chances are slim. And Nova Odyssey is also correct in that anything can happen. Only time will tell.

42. The answer is always 42.

*Sits in the corner and waits*

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Two straight days of crickets. And I don't like it. No sir, not a bit.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Did I tell you guys that I am 1-for-2 on my success rate for job cover letters (as compared with queries)? I've sent out two job apps, and one got me an interview this morning. That's a 50% request rate, a much better ratio than queries.

(The interview itself went well, but ironically, I think I failed the on-site writing "test." Maybe that's not ironic. Maybe it's just sad and pitiful.)

Last edited:

EditorDylan

Registered
Reaction score
No Worries

I've interviewed a lot of established writers and they've all gone through rejections like mad. My favorite was Robert Pinsky - former US Poet Laureate and Pulitzer Prize nominee. He said that when he was young, a bunch of his teachers told him he would never amount to anything and essentially be a bum. Ha. Look at him now. It's the muck we all must tread through. Keep your head above it.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've interviewed a lot of established writers and they've all gone through rejections like mad. My favorite was Robert Pinsky - former US Poet Laureate and Pulitzer Prize nominee. He said that when he was young, a bunch of his teachers told him he would never amount to anything and essentially be a bum. Ha. Look at him now. It's the muck we all must tread through. Keep your head above it.

Thanks for this, The Daily Rejection can become a depressing place, we need uplifting words now and again.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Three straight days of crickets. I'm really not liking this one bit. I'd be happy with anything right now. Where's a rejection when you need one? If some nice fine agent out there could at least send me a rejection notice, I'd be extremely grateful. It would be like a warm blanket compared to this ... this ... nothingness.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there :) Something or nothing is bound to happen.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Three straight days of crickets. I'm really not liking this one bit. I'd be happy with anything right now. Where's a rejection when you need one? If some nice fine agent out there could at least send me a rejection notice, I'd be extremely grateful. It would be like a warm blanket compared to this ... this ... nothingness.

Enjoy the empty inbox while you can. I complained and ended up with 6 form Rs last week.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I "suddenly" received Rejection #14 today. The total number of rejections, actually, is something more than 14, as several of the agencies that did not get back to me indicate in their guidelines that they do not reply if they're uninterested. Meanwhile, there is still no word on the full. The e-book route is beginning to look more appealing with every passing day, my friends. I have some betas checking out my book right now. When they're done with it, I'm going to give it yet one more revision and then embark on another round of querying. If that falls through, Kindle here I come.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I "suddenly" received Rejection #14 today. The total number of rejections, actually, is something more than 14, as several of the agencies that did not get back to me indicate in their guidelines that they do not reply if they're uninterested. Meanwhile, there is still no word on the full. The e-book route is beginning to look more appealing with every passing day, my friends. I have some betas checking out my book right now. When they're done with it, I'm going to give it yet one more revision and then embark on another round of querying. If that falls through, Kindle here I come.

I had over 220 rejections when dreamy agent offered. If you believe in the project, give up only when you've run out of agents to query.

As for the self-pub route -- unless you're prepared to put in a lot of time and effort promoting your book (see the Paolini family and Amanda Hocking), this route could be more disappointing than querying.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Pre-emptively checking in! I haven't started officially querying the new MS yet, but I got a partial request through a contest. Heartbreak begins in three, two, one...

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing. Absolutely nothing to report on this dismal Monday. There are not even any crickets. They must be on vacation.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I had over 220 rejections when dreamy agent offered. If you believe in the project, give up only when you've run out of agents to query.

As for the self-pub route -- unless you're prepared to put in a lot of time and effort promoting your book (see the Paolini family and Amanda Hocking), this route could be more disappointing than querying.

Good point. Though, as I'm learning, there are a few other publishing routes to try - small press, indie press, epubs. So many options. (None necessarily easier)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I got tired of crickets so I sent another seven out today and yesterday. One R came in from the new batch already. So that's 11 outstanding, 3 rejections, 1 partial.

Things started so well, my first response was a partial request on this novel. Now I'm shutting down my emotions and preparing for another long slog through rejections. I hope somebody comes back with good news soon.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Your posting, Drachen, inspired me to send out several more queries. Now I'm just going to sit back and let the additional pain begin.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds so simple ...

Phase 1: Write Novel - Check.
Phase 2: Secure Agent - .......
Phase 3: Secure Publisher Contract - .......

... but it's not.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't get phase 1 right.

Phase 1: Write a brilliant novel that people fall in love with after the first few pages.
Phase 2: Beat off the horde of salivating agents with a stick until only the most persistent remains.
Phase 3: Sit back idly as your agent secures you a seven figure royalty deal and another seven figures for your next book.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
You didn't get phase 1 right.

Phase 1: Write a brilliant novel that people fall in love with after the first few pages.
Phase 2: Beat off the horde of salivating agents with a stick until only the most persistent remains.
Phase 3: Sit back idly as your agent secures you a seven figure royalty deal and another seven figures for your next book.

Haha! That's great! It is to dream. It sounds so good. The funny thing about this is that all the betas who read my novel said they loved the way it starts. They said the beginning made them want to read the whole thing to find out what happens. I'm just not having a great response on my queries, outside of that one request for the full. (I also had a request for a partial, but that ended badly.) Maybe my luck will change? Sent out eight more queries today, working on sending out more for tomorrow.

By the way, how long does it usually take to get a response on a full? Mine is out for nearly three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.