The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
And look, nearly 10 p.m. EST, and I've just received another e-mail rejection. That's four in one day, morning, afternoon, and evening. I think this could be a personal record.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I would have been perfectly willing to send the full six months ago by e-mail.

Now I have a shiny new book and the query letter is 1 for 2 returns after 2 days. My hopes are high for this one.

Also, she wants me to send the full on a USB drive via snail mail. That's kind of a pain in the butt.

Why did you query an agent you're not willing to send a full to? Just curious. I sometimes send to agencies that I'm not wild about, for a variety of reasons, but I'm willing to send the MS if they ask. At the least, you might get some useful feedback.

Oh, and with the snails today came two (!!) printed rejections. That's three in one day!! On a roll ...

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And look, nearly 10 p.m. EST, and I've just received another e-mail rejection. That's four in one day, morning, afternoon, and evening. I think this could be a personal record.

You beat my record of three in one day! Well done (you know what I mean :D )

she wants me to send the full on a USB drive via snail mail. That's kind of a pain in the butt.

I have never heard of that. Is that something that some agencies do? Or does she just want a free USB drive? (PS. that was a joke) ((PPS. the second part was a joke. I really have never heard of that))

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I've come across at least one other place that does it that way. It really doesn't make sense to me, manuscripts end up being fairly small files so it's pretty easy to just e-mail them. Maybe she makes jewellery out of USB drives for an Etsy store?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've come across at least one other place that does it that way. It really doesn't make sense to me, manuscripts end up being fairly small files so it's pretty easy to just e-mail them. Maybe she makes jewellery out of USB drives for an Etsy store?

Idea! Dare I say, Winning! ? (No I do not dare it) Maybe it is my lazy talking, but that seems quite laborious. Good luck all the same :)

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she makes jewellery out of USB drives for an Etsy store?
Hah! And really, why a USB drive? A novel will fit on a CD. That I could see if the person was paranoid about attachments. But why be paranoid about an attachment from someone you contacted?

It sounds rather crazy all around.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I was out of town yesterday, and after an exhausting day trapped in the car with two small children, I woke to a form rejection in my inbox. Four more to go.
icon11.gif

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
The gods of fate must have heard that my first response was a request so they sent some bad juju my way... My computer fukishimaed last night...

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Just got another. I wish I could say it doesn't bother me.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Just received a rejection from the only agent that has requested to read more (a full). It was very nice, and gave me lots of helpful criticism, but basically told me I was too young to write a book. (I didn't put my age, but he asked for a bio so I put that I was a student). Very depressing as he wants me to change the beginning, but even if I do change it, lots of agents that ask for the first three chapters are still going to see the rubbish beginning, and hit the reject button :(

Ho-hum, off to eat Mum's chocolates that I bought for Mother's Day......

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm due for another reply. The query shark has been sitting on mine for nearly a week. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't wait so long and just get it over with, like ripping off a bandaid.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I'm due for another reply. The query shark has been sitting on mine for nearly a week. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't wait so long and just get it over with, like ripping off a bandaid.

Oh Bologna!

No really! It's Bologna.

A lot of agents are deli-meating publishers and authors and such.

Oh I crack myself up! Deli-meating... Good one Drachen. [pats himself on the back]

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Sent out five queries yesterday. Woke to a form rejection from one of those today. The rest are crickets.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Bologna!

No really! It's Bologna.

A lot of agents are deli-meating publishers and authors and such.

Oh I crack myself up! Deli-meating... Good one Drachen. [pats himself on the back]
Maybe it's sleep deprivation, but I have no freaking clue what you're trying to say here. Please forgive me, DJ. What is blogna? That sometimes I wish they'd respond quicker?

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
The Bologna book fair.

Biggest children's book fair in the world. If any agents you queried cover children's or YA books they're probably there.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Actually I should have said were probably there. The book fair wrapped up yesterday, so hopefully we'll be back on the rejection train soon enough.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Speak 'o the devil.

Second rejection for my current project. That makes it 1 partial, 2 reject, 3 awaiting response.

I know I should be hardened to this by now after 200+ rejections on my last MS, but my heart still leaps when I see agent mail. My mind immediately jumps to the conclusion that it's another rejection.

wf finnegan

First time author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kustomrides.com
Received a rejection today. The agent was unimpressed by the "concept." It was from an agent I queried last year, prior to me re-writing the manuscript (and query letter). I was down until I noticed rejection letter was identical to the first. Maybe it's my query letter skills. Maybe I should have written about vampires. Who have been abducted into the prehistoric past. By angels. In order to solve a mystery. Dang.

Then I skimmed this thread and was really happy, since I've only received a few rejections and you guys are pros. I better send more query letters.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
If a response to a query letter does not mention anything specific about your book it is most likely a generic form letter. Most agents just have a button that they can hit, 'auto-reply reject' which opens the form letter, they might or might not fill in a name, it might actually be your name, then they hit send.

They get hundreds of Queries a week, so I don't blame them, even taking a minute each to reply would cost hours out of their time each week.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
OK, the crickets gave way to what may be the most succinct auto-reject I have seen yet. Here's what it said:

"No, thank you."

That's it. Kind of made me laugh.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, the crickets gave way to what may be the most succinct auto-reject I have seen yet. Here's what it said:

"No, thank you."

That's it. Kind of made me laugh.

I've gotten that one! I added it to my favorite short rejections. It is among company such as, "Not for me, thanks."

Status
Not open for further replies.