The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanny86

Registered
Reaction score
Wierd things happen!

Hey, has anyone gotten a request out of thin air, I mean thin air. Just sitting there and a letter comes from a publisher asking for your manuscript and then you read the whole thing and find out that they had "researchers" pull your name from your copyright application.
Yeah, happened to me. How legit are those things anyway? I mean I am still rewriting the book so I couldn't reply them and it wasn't exactly a straight offer so i guess I will wait till I get through with the book and try out the real market: when I say market I mean my "2011 Writer's Market" directory.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone gotten a request out of thin air, I mean thin air. Just sitting there and a letter comes from a publisher asking for your manuscript and then you read the whole thing and find out that they had "researchers" pull your name from your copyright application.
Yeah, happened to me. How legit are those things anyway? I mean I am still rewriting the book so I couldn't reply them and it wasn't exactly a straight offer so i guess I will wait till I get through with the book and try out the real market: when I say market I mean my "2011 Writer's Market" directory.

That sounds really fishy. I would look them up on here, and on preditors and editors and PW if you have an account. Basically, reasearch the heck out of them.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Back on the horse. Eight e-mail queries sent. Two packaged and waiting for the snail-mail train tomorrow. One auto-reply response on that batch. Plus, I found a few more agents to add to my research list.

That's 65 down, 35 to go, which would bring me to the 100 agents benchmark. And I'm still finding more. But my query spreadsheet now totals precisely 100 agents.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I was excited to get the SASE postcard (I guess that would be a SASP) for receipt of my submission to a small press.

The form rejection via envelope came with the same day's mail. At least something happened today ...

tengraceapples

Registered
Reaction score

RUN!!!

NO legit pub would come to you (unless you are a star or Blogger who got like a million hits) I got that notice before. I knew it was crap. Think about it: if anything, pubs are slamed with millions of writers all wanting deals.

They get your name from the copyright office. Then they look for innocent,new writers to run a scam on.

Work on your book. Write.rewrite. Then seek rep using writers market, and agentquery.

Good luck!

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
So, this morning, there was another rejection in my query inbox.

Only, it wasn't a rejection. It was a request for a partial. My first one.

It took 65 queries to get that request. Hang in there, people!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I think agents just throw out the occasional request to get your hopes up. It's no fun driving over the same road-kill 100 times, you've got to bring it back to life occasionally.

Seriously though, good luck with it! ;)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yay! Partial party!!! Good luck mkcbunny!

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I think agents just throw out the occasional request to get your hopes up. It's no fun driving over the same road-kill 100 times, you've got to bring it back to life occasionally.

Seriously though, good luck with it! ;)

LOL. Yeah, the funny thing is, it still looks like a form letter. It's just that it's a form REQUEST, not a form REJECTION.

oshun55

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, mkcbunny. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I'd just add, keep at it! Don't rest because you have a partial out, keep pumping out the queries.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, mkcbunny. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I'd just add, keep at it! Don't rest because you have a partial out, keep pumping out the queries.

Thanks.

Yeah. I still have about 30 more on my list. The querying never ends—until I run out of names!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Well, after four months of R&R the doctors tell me I'm ready to get back in the trenches. I'll be sending six men over the top at nightfall on a scouting mission. If any of them return alive I'll be mounting a full-scale assault next week.

Wish me luck doughboys.

Has anyone seen the movie Gallipoli? Querying totally reminds me of the ending to that film.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, after four months of R&R the doctors tell me I'm ready to get back in the trenches. I'll be sending six men over the top at nightfall on a scouting mission. If any of them return alive I'll be mounting a full-scale assault next week.

Wish me luck doughboys.

Has anyone seen the movie Gallipoli? Querying totally reminds me of the ending to that film.

Fair winds and following seas Good Sir. (Or whatever it is the Army says)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Congratulations. And thank you for this. I'm about to start querying again. I came to this thread for inspiration. And courage.

I will get rejected, and I will be okay.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score

Wish me luck doughboys.

Luck!!

Querying reminds me exactly of job-hunting—which I am also doing right now. The cover letters are different, though. Ha.

Only action today was an e-ject from a query sent on 3/4. And I sent my partial out yesterday via snail. Giddyup little snails!!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
All your good wishes have been a great help. One of the soldiers returned already with news that there is a gap in the enemy lines.

Three hours from query to response and it's a partial request! I've only sent three queries out so far.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
All your good wishes have been a great help. One of the soldiers returned already with news that there is a gap in the enemy lines.

Three hours from query to response and it's a partial request! I've only sent three queries out so far.

Good luck, DJ--and Congratulations on the request. Woot! Go you!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I finally started querying again. I started small-just 5 today. I'll pick up my speed next week. However, it's been 5 hours and I haven't been rejected yet. That has to be some kind of record for me. **crossing fingers** WIsh me luck. Lord knows I need it!!
icon7.gif

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Carleree. The fish are at least sniffing the lures. We'll see if they're biting soon enough.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Weird, a rejection on my current query in my inbox today means I'm 1 for 2 on returns for that.

I also got a full request from a query dated ten months ago. Unfortunately it's a dinky little agency with no track record so I think I'll pass. But what the hell? Ten months later? What was she thinking?

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
I finally started querying again. I started small-just 5 today. I'll pick up my speed next week. However, it's been 5 hours and I haven't been rejected yet. That has to be some kind of record for me. **crossing fingers** WIsh me luck. Lord knows I need it!!
icon7.gif

Good luck Carleree.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Weird, a rejection on my current query in my inbox today means I'm 1 for 2 on returns for that.

I also got a full request from a query dated ten months ago. Unfortunately it's a dinky little agency with no track record so I think I'll pass. But what the hell? Ten months later? What was she thinking?

Why did you query an agent you're not willing to send a full to? Just curious. I sometimes send to agencies that I'm not wild about, for a variety of reasons, but I'm willing to send the MS if they ask. At the least, you might get some useful feedback.

Oh, and with the snails today came two (!!) printed rejections. That's three in one day!! On a roll ...

Status
Not open for further replies.