The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I always send 5 pages with the query unless an agency specifically says doing so will garner an automatic rejection. No one has ever complained about it, and the requests I've gotten have all (excepting 2) have come from those queries with the extra pages.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, drat. Guess I jinxed myself. Got 2 rejections today -- one from Avalon (publishers), a "Dear Author" letter.

My manuscript exceeded their strict word count limit, so that's probably the reason. At least, that's what I'm telling myself, to make it sting less. ;)

soulred

Registered
Reaction score
It had been a while since I'd even submitted anything, so when I got a rejection today I'd actually forgotten how to feel about it. Oddly, it made me feel compelled to open a fresh word document and start something completely new. At least it's something to keep me busy while waiting to hear back from my next potential.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Only got one rejection today. I was kind of having a crappy day, but it was such a nice rejection that it actually made me feel better, even though it was a standard form letter.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
On behalf of Michelle Brower--

Thank you very much for thinking of me and Folio Literary Management for representation. Your writing voice is clear and strong, and your protagonist is extremely likable. The story is quirky and playful and easy to read. This is a definite plus in today's market! However, the story's playfulness has the potential to outweigh the seriousness of your hook, and I'd advise another "go through" to give your manuscript another careful edit for rough patches in the language and flow. After consideration, I regret to say that your project is not right for my list at this time. As you know, this is a subjective business and another reader may feel differently. I really do wish you the best of luck in finding the right agent and perfect fit for your novel.

Am overwhelmed. I honestly think this means I'm getting closer.

Last edited:

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely closer. What an excellent personal response. I suggest you ask if she'd be willing to look at a rewrite. You don't have to actually rewrite, but it could leave the door open should you get some more feedback to help strengthen your novel. Go Polly!

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I liked the playfulness with the seriousness of the hook, myself. But still, a good reject, as these things go! I had to use an exclamation point, because she did!

Honestly, I have problems reading the Cupid's Literary Connection posts because...gee! So many points!!!

I have to sell one or both of my projects. My homestead is hemorrhaging money these days. Today was committing to tree work (that's where the real money today is, folks) and tracking down a roof leak (don't want to think what all that is is going to cost, especially the interior repairs). Ack, I was going to work on my NF, but stuff keeps happening.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
See, to me, the playfulness and the seriousness go together, and as old married women, the three of us know that. Life is never one thing, and neither is a good book. But thanks, ladies.

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Another rejection today, but a publishing company is interested! So, I have two fulls out there, and another interested...maybe I'm getting somewhere?

It could be that I'm not sending it to the right people...that's the hardest thing for me, to figure out who to send it to. It's a paranormal mystery, heavy on both...so I've been double dipping and sending it to both mystery & fantasy agents...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Polly, I had a reject (just recently) almost identical to that from a publisher, who explained that I had somewhat of a "tone crash" between the very long hook and the second half. Started off dark and then got fluffy. Ha!

This means you are zeroing in on the magic that you need. Just a bit more....and you'll be there.

tri

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end

Wow, Polly, that sounds like a really positive rejection. I'd definitely ask for an R&R. What I read in her feedback is that the playfulness is just a bit over the top and is eclipsing the seriousness, and that if you do one more go-round, you might be able to strike a better balance by toning down here and there. Less can really be more with humor and quirkiness, and scaling it back where it's not totally needed or where the timing is a bit off, will really make it shine when it is used. Not that I know your ms at all. This is just how I'm interpreting MB's comments.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
For what it's worth, I always send 5 pages with the query unless an agency specifically says doing so will garner an automatic rejection. No one has ever complained about it, and the requests I've gotten have all (excepting 2) have come from those queries with the extra pages.

I do this, too. I once met a big agent at a social event and asked her if I should always include the first five pages with my query, even if the agent didn't specify that in their guidelines. She said, "Well, I wouldn't NOT read the pages if they were there."

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
GAHHHH, I just realized that I only sent the first chapter. I thought she had 50 pages. It was only a standard query + 10. Huh.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
(((((Quickbread))))))

Those rejections are always the hardest for me (where they give a little compliment, then a request a full after a partial). My hopes always nudge upward in those situations.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I laughed at the form reject I got today. Not only was it addressed to "Dar Carleen" Yes, Dar, not Dear--it referenced materials I hadn't submitted. I'm kind of glad she said no. Obviously her attention to detail is way lacking.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys! I just started querying for my novel. So far, sent out about a dozen email queries. Received four responses within two days of sending them, all four standard form rejections.

I think I'll pass out with excitement if any agent requests a partial.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
Some more rejections, and decided on a few non-responses.

I've gone and edited the query to try and make it a bit stronger, and more... relevant to the MC, I guess. I think the version I sent out might have not given a strong enough sense of the MC or the voice, so that's what I tried here. We'll see how it works out!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I laughed at the form reject I got today. Not only was it addressed to "Dar Carleen" Yes, Dar, not Dear--it referenced materials I hadn't submitted. I'm kind of glad she said no. Obviously her attention to detail is way lacking.

One of my favorite rejections was someone passing on a partial, saying she wasn't interested in representing my novel. Only it was nonfiction...

I can't be too picky, though, after the mistakes I've made. I'm the woman, after all, who had a professor write a "forward." :Headbang:

You'll get there, Dar. :)

And welcome to the new folks!

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I've been away from AW for a while so I hope I'm in the right spot to post my anxious query status...I sent out five queries last week in my first-ever attempt. I've gotten three requests for partials (squee!!!) and two form rejections.

Hesitantly hopeful...

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I've been conversing a lot with my dream agent this past week. And I do mean DREAM agent. I've been lucky that she's been willing to go back and forth with me, but her direction bites. It's so vague that I end up spending hours trying to decipher her meaning. And now, it seems, she wants a complete rewrite of my book with a new plot. At least that is what I think she wants. Would've been nice if she could've just come out and said that. Sigh. Back to work I go.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I've been away from AW for a while so I hope I'm in the right spot to post my anxious query status...I sent out five queries last week in my first-ever attempt. I've gotten three requests for partials (squee!!!) and two form rejections.

Hesitantly hopeful...

Oh, yes, you're in the right spot. Three out of five is great (and so is getting everyone to at least respond). Remember: keep querying while you wait.

We seem to post all sorts of other stuff here also, and no one seems to mind. No off-topic police on this thread. Maybe talking about other stuff makes it easier to deal with rejection and endless waiting.

Dar Carleree (hey, maybe it stands for "darling") -- that sucks. I'm back to work myself, even if it's an even-numbered day.

Status
Not open for further replies.