The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
It's not dumb. No writer could help getting his hopes up after a full request. I really hope you get a rep offer.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Drachen,
It's OK to get your hopes up - it means you're human (or ARE you?). And then we will celebrate with you if the news is good, and support you if it's a rejection.
Polly

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel intimidated, and therefore procrastinate, on sending queries to 'top' agents? Sometimes I feel like I should just be searching out the new agents who are building their lists, but I guess you never know.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
In a word, no. It didn't matter to me if the agent was a long-time vet or somebody new. The results, for the most part, were the same. Mostly Rs or the silent treatment. I sent out 37 new queries last week and so far received six R.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes for me. There are agents that I would love, or agencies that I admire, but I haven't sent them a stitch...

Carrie-Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com
I got a rejection the other day for the book I'd been querying before turning my focus back to my Russian novel. I'd already written it off as a rejection because it had been longer than the time specified on the agency's website, so I wasn't surprised. At least it was a more personalized rejection than most.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel intimidated, and therefore procrastinate, on sending queries to 'top' agents? Sometimes I feel like I should just be searching out the new agents who are building their lists, but I guess you never know.
Yes, but my brilliant critique partner made a great suggestion: query from the bottom of your list up, that way your prime agents will end up with a well-honed version of your query. We always think they're honed when we send them out, but through rejection, we learn.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I find too Devil. Though I always throw a couple of good agents in the mix, just in case someone I'm on the fence about offers.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I do. I feel like I don't want to use them all up.
Off subject, I nudged the jr. agent at WME who has had my manu for 3 months today. And her answer was....no answer. Couldn't you just email and say like Catherine Drayton "Sorry, this isn't for me"?
Grump, grump, grrr. I'm off to my beach house with Clive Owen now.

Shining_Garnet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cherokeewriter.wordpress.com
I got my first rejection today from the Threepenny Review. I submitted a poetry manuscript of four Poems. I got an e-mail today letting me know that they wouldn't be able to use any of my poems.

I was disappointed, but I'm already looking for another place to submit my poems. I'm not going to give up. I know some place will accept my writing.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I find too Devil. Though I always throw a couple of good agents in the mix, just in case someone I'm on the fence about offers.
All those I query are "good," but some are stellar. Yes, stellar agents should go into the mix, but if I don't query them all first I can maintain that delicate balance of hope and despair that makes continuing the process possible.

sharonsharon

Registered
Reaction score
polly I agree. I sent a manuscript to an agency through a recommendation- three months and no answer so I wrote them to ask- I have nothing to lose anyway.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I think I may have finally nailed this whole query writing thing. After working like a madman to get the full fixed for the full request I was talking about earlier I decided to re-work my query yesterday and send out another dozen today. The first just came back and it's another full.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Drachen. It's sounding like you're heading in the right direction. Keep that momentum going!

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I may have finally nailed this whole query writing thing. After working like a madman to get the full fixed for the full request I was talking about earlier I decided to re-work my query yesterday and send out another dozen today. The first just came back and it's another full.
Yay!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to interrupt with more good news, I just got the second response and it's a 50 page partial!

Sydney, if this doesn't work out I expect a bar-stool with my name on it so I can drown my sorrows.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It will, but I've got one handy to be safe. Tequila or bourbon?

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
So basically you have two standing full requests and now another 50-page partial. Now that's pretty good. Something's got to give here.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Looking promising, DJ.
fingers-crossed.png

I heard today from the agent who received my proposal a couple weeks ago. It was another one of those "not the way the book is now, but if you are willing to revise..." responses. I told her I'd let her know after I get back from vacation in mid-June. (Not a big vacation -- but I need to escape. The US Open will be held two miles from my house.)

At least, this is another agent willing to talk to me on the phone about my book. So I can tell myself that it isn't a complete nonstarter.

I've been going through the archives of the Author! Author! blog. Lots of interesting stuff on there. For instance, I read it is expected etiquette to let agents know that other agents are looking at your work. Doing so may also lead them to review your work quicker. I emailed the others this morning. We'll see.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score

I'm probably doing it the wrong way but I often feel the urge to start from the top. It's like "what if Good Agent likes it, but I'd always ask myself whether Amazing Agent would have loved it". I know you can take some time considering an offer and nudge others, but I rarely hear of success coming this way. I mean, when people write to their top agents saying "hi, such and such wants to represent me, but here's my query for you", agents tend to shrug and wish them good luck.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I started with a mix, purposely avoiding the really top agents. I didn't want to be stuck with someone I wasn't 100% happy with if it got picked up right away.

The thing is, Devil Ledbetter has it right, queries and sample material are "finished" at the beginning of the query process, but they get improved through the process and you want to put your best foot forward for the best agents. I've been querying for two months and looking back I think I would reject my own first offering.

Oh and Sydney, I think I'll start with tequilla and work my way into the burbon when you run out of cactus juice.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I know you can take some time considering an offer and nudge others, but I rarely hear of success coming this way. I mean, when people write to their top agents saying "hi, such and such wants to represent me, but here's my query for you", agents tend to shrug and wish them good luck.

I don't think it would work for a query. However, someone who used to hang out on this board got her dream agent (who'd had a full for a long time) to quickly -- and positively -- respond once notified of another offer.

What I was referring to in my last post was letting people with your submissions know that you have submissions out with others, also.

I've had one response since my emails. An agent who's had my proposal since last July said, "Thanks, let me know if someone makes an offer." So...she won't look at my proposal until someone else wants the book? She's conflicted about the book, but someone else wanting it would push her off the fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.