• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blue Leaf Publications

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
It's a straightforward POD, without marketing or distribution support. Their business model is not dissimilar to PublishAmerica's, although they are much more honest about what they do and their contract term is shorter (two years). Really, I don't see many advantages compared to self-publishing through Lulu.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
The blurbs in their catalog section have several instances of improperly used commas, plus some spectacularly long sentences. Not a crime, but not a good sign for expecting them to have top-notch editors. Proceed carefully.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From the looks of the website and the comments here, you could do better on your own through LuLu or Createspace. They only have their books listed on their website or Amazon. So who knows they're even there?

Note:They may charge a kill fee if you want out.

Last edited:

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
I'm confused - have they changed their model since this thread was posted? Now, they're being described as "a royalty-paying small press" and they take queries. Am I missing something?

ETA: I think I'm understanding what people are saying - it's not really worth it since it's so small?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's all well and good to offer royalties, but one needs to make sales in order to receive them. If an e/POD house has no marketing, promotion, and/or distribution, it won't generate sales for measurable royalties. (And 30% of net for ebooks and 10% of net for print isn't a good rate, regardless.)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Full request after having read the first four chapters. And that was after six days. So, pretty quick in reading/responding. They're publishing slots are low and they seem to favor a few selected genres, specifying their like for shape-shifters. Small advance. I would like to see royalties on cover, though.

tri

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm impressed with the general quality of the covers - they look good.

Also, the fact that they have very specific genre interests is also a good thing. They only want vampires, zombies and shapeshifters. Many small presses suffer because they try to do too much in too many genres.

One to watch, for sure.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Royalty rates are now:
45% to 60% of the Net, print and electronic sales
Rate will depend on quality/condition of work

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last book pubbed '13. Per her personal site, owner is on sabbatical for health issues.