The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Blue Leaf Publications

Blue Leaf Publications

Does anyone have any information and/or opinions on this small press? (Sorry if they're already discussed here, couldn't find a thread). Can't find anything in Preditors and Editors, I think they may be very new.

http://www.blueleafpub.com/home.htm
    Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.

Author of "Warp"
    It's a straightforward POD, without marketing or distribution support. Their business model is not dissimilar to PublishAmerica's, although they are much more honest about what they do and their contract term is shorter (two years). Really, I don't see many advantages compared to self-publishing through Lulu.

The blurbs in their catalog section have several instances of improperly used commas, plus some spectacularly long sentences. Not a crime, but not a good sign for expecting them to have top-notch editors. Proceed carefully.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Thank you!

practical experience, FTW
    From the looks of the website and the comments here, you could do better on your own through LuLu or Createspace. They only have their books listed on their website or Amazon. So who knows they're even there?

Note:They may charge a kill fee if you want out.
    Last edited by brainstorm77; 04-23-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added note.

practical experience, FTW eward's Avatar
    I'm confused - have they changed their model since this thread was posted? Now, they're being described as "a royalty-paying small press" and they take queries. Am I missing something?

ETA: I think I'm understanding what people are saying - it's not really worth it since it's so small?
    Last edited by eward; 01-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    It's all well and good to offer royalties, but one needs to make sales in order to receive them. If an e/POD house has no marketing, promotion, and/or distribution, it won't generate sales for measurable royalties. (And 30% of net for ebooks and 10% of net for print isn't a good rate, regardless.)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Full request after having read the first four chapters. And that was after six days. So, pretty quick in reading/responding. They're publishing slots are low and they seem to favor a few selected genres, specifying their like for shape-shifters. Small advance. I would like to see royalties on cover, though.

tri

Hi Triceratops
    I'd suggest caution, I've PM'd you.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    I have to say, I'm impressed with the general quality of the covers - they look good.

Also, the fact that they have very specific genre interests is also a good thing. They only want vampires, zombies and shapeshifters. Many small presses suffer because they try to do too much in too many genres.

One to watch, for sure.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Royalty rates are now:
    45% to 60% of the Net, print and electronic sales
    Rate will depend on quality/condition of work
    ICAO
    ---------

I forgot to add this it was a rejection on the full.

tri

Last book pubbed '13. Per her personal site, owner is on sabbatical for health issues.
    ICAO
    ---------