Authors dissing other authors

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
One man's Shakespeare is another man's trash fiction.

Consider this pithy commentary on the Great Bard's work:
With the single exception of Homer, there is no eminent writer, not even Sir Walter Scott, whom I can despise so entirely as I despise Shakespeare..

50 Best Author -vs- Author Put-Downs

And my own personal favorite, Florence King commenting on John Updike:

Updike's style is an exquisite blend of Melville and Austen: reading him is like cutting through whale blubber with embroidery scissors.

wrangler

Dearest Strumpets and Knaves:
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I came across this article yesterday afternoon and was quite pleased to find out that I am/was not the only person in the entire world who found a certain author *gag*

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Nobody can dis quite like some of the best the authors in modern history.

:ROFL:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
42. Robert Frost, according to James Dickey (1981)

If it were thought that anything I wrote was influenced by Robert Frost, I would take that particular work of mine, shred it, and flush it down the toilet, hoping not to clog the pipes....a more sententious, holding-forth old bore, who expected every hero-worshipping adenoidal little twerp of a student-poet to hang on his every word I never saw.
Bless. Whenever Frost came up in high school, we had to read that (garbled in transmission)ing Stopping in the (garbled in transmission)ing Woods on A (garbled in transmission)ing Snowy (garbled in transmission)ing Evening. My hatred for that (garbled in transmission)ing poem continues unabated to this day, burning with the intensity of 10,000 burning nuns.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I love number 17 and couldn't agree more with Ms. Bronte on this point

*holds out hands, shielding body from onslaught of thrown produce*

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I love number 17 and couldn't agree more with Ms. Bronte on this point

*holds out hands, shielding body from onslaught of thrown produce*

No thrown produce from this direction. I'm completely in agreement. I also love Mark Twain's comment on the same author:

Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice,' I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.

:roll:

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
No thrown produce from this direction. I'm completely in agreement. I also love Mark Twain's comment on the same author:

Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice,' I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.

:roll:

yes...I love to see this...Austen gets all the credit...to me, she doesn't hold a light to Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights...and Anne Bronte's stuff is pretty good too...argh...maybe even Bramwell....wait, nawwww :)

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
35. James Joyce's Ulysses, according to Virginia Woolf (1922)
I dislike 'Ulysses' more and more -- that is I think it more and more unimportant; and don't even trouble conscientiously to make out its meanings. Thank God, I need not write about it.

Yet she wrote Mrs. Dalloway...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score

Stop reading it then, Twain, for heaven's sake. Buy a few more books.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
39. James Jones, according to Ernest Hemingway (1951)

To me he is an enormously skillful f#*&-up and his book will do great damage to our country. Probably I should re-read it again to give you a truer answer. But I do not have to eat an entire bowl of scabs to know they are scabs...I hope he kills himself....

Can we say irony?