Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I HATE MY NEIGHBORS

Kreon Starscream AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Admit it, you'd go Decepticon for him too

Angry I HATE MY NEIGHBORS

My aunt owns the house I live in. Since she bought this house, there has been a never ending stream of neighbors who think they have the right to tell her what she is and isn't allowed to do with her property. They fully believe they have the right to use her property at will.

She has repeatedly told them to get off her property, told them to get bent etc.

Now I have a more umm, testy nature than my aunt. One reason I have a fireball chucking woman as my idol and avatar.

Last straw came for me this morning. My aunt let me know that yesterday one of our neighbors informed her that she had to have OUR car out of OUR driveway by 8 in the morning because the neighbor is having landscaping work and the landscapers will be parking in our driveway for the day.

The neighbor then adds my aunt will have to find a place to park on the street. Given the congestion in this city finding street parking is an impossible task in-and-of-itself. Oh and Thursday, the day our neighbor has deemed our off limits to us is street sweeping day. Any car park on the street will be tagged and towed.

Now once my aunt old me this I EXPLODED!!! I am so sick of the fucking people around us trying to take control of my aunt's property. I think the neighbor might very well have heard my reaction to this. I think they heard me in Guam.

I will be moving our car to the end of our driveway tomorrow morning, thus blocking any access to it.

I HATE THESE PEOPLE
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    You might want to at least drop a call to the local police station to explain the problem. Then if there is any trouble from the neighbors or their contractor they arrive knowing what the deal is.

What kind of place do you live in that the neighbours feel they can dictate this sort of thing? Is it a detached home with private driveway, duplex with shared driveway, co-op? Does your aunt sometimes acquiesce to the neighbours' wishes, thereby having set a precident?

Never give in to unreasonable demands or you'll forever be a dupe. Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense. I've had bad neighbours and can relate.

I have the greatest neighbors. They keep to themselves. I keep to myself. Sometimes we wave. It's perfect. ^_^

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb thehairymob's Avatar
    Why don't you go to the neighbours and make some of your own demands like they need to build and pay for a new pool in your back yard.

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Definitely park the car in the driveway and stand your ground.

I bet they won't pay for the ticket if your car gets tagged or towed, so... let them worry about where the landscapers are going to park.

And yes, a phone call to the police might help. Although I suspect the neighbors are too cowardly to take it to the next level, since they've got no legal right to ask for anything.

I'd also explain to your aunt that legally, it's very dangerous to let them do anything they want on her/your property. If they get injured or someone else does, bet you dollars to donuts they'll file a huge lawsuit against you/your aunt.

Good neighbors = high fence.

just my thoughts...

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    My thought was that you might want the police clued in if the contractor tries to squeeze past and damages the car, or something like that.

Thanks for all the advice and support.

I didn't even think about the legal ramifications of them parking here and having an accident or injury, thanks for that heads up, Sheryl.

CaroGirl we live a single family home detached and completely independent from our neighbors houses and property. Makes their audacity even more galling.

thehairymob, love the pool idea

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    My thought was that you might want the police clued in if the contractor tries to squeeze past and damages the car, or something like that.
    Fortunately, it's a one car wide driveway so if I have the car at the end of the driveway, it's blocked completely.

Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    CaroGirl we live a single family home detached and completely independent from our neighbors houses and property. Makes their audacity even more galling.
    Yes, it does!

I like the liability/potential lawsuit issue. If they bring it up again, say you can't possibly allow it and suggest the landscapers park on their front lawn.

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Sounds neighbors are just strutting their "power." Any contractor is used to having to deal with tight spaces, tight parking, having to maneuver around obstacles. The contractors will manage just fine.

Boy, these neighbors are a piece of ... work.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

do not move that car or i will hit you myself.
    "Iím putting this book right up there alongside Laurie Halse Andersonís, TWISTED, and John Greenís, LOOKING FOR ALASKA. Not to be missed. Highly recommended!" ~ From a review of BURN BABY BURN BABY.

Click on the cover images below to go to my Amazon page:

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    I can't even conceive of how far up their own asses your neighbors must be to think that they own the rights to use your driveway! That's total madness.

Thanks. You guys rock!!!!!!

Sassy & Mr. Groove sassandgroove's Avatar
    good luck
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

Um, NO. Your neighbors can park THEIR car on the street so the landscapers can park on THEIR driveway, thank you. Sheryl brought up an excellent point on the liability issue -- you don't want to be responsible if someone gets hurt. I also agree with calling the police to give them a heads-up in case they raise a stink. Good luck.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Website | Twitter

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea. kct webber's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I hate your neighbors too.

Don't move the car. They can fuck themselves to death.

And I know what you mean about being more... outspoken than some family members. My mother has historically been a pushover. (She's better than she was.) But sometimes she'll tell me about something that she just bowed to, rather than cause a scene, or cause tension... I really, really dislike people like the ones you're describing, who just assume upon people. My user title is not a lie. Those people generally hear from me.
    Last edited by kct webber; 04-21-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    I write with my hands tied behind my back.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ~ Red Green

Thanks

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    I HATE THESE PEOPLE
    Look, we've got things we need to take care of. I'm sorry but our needs are just more important than yours. Deal with it.

I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Stars, Bars, and Symbols of the Past

Same-sex marriage and Southern heritage

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea. kct webber's Avatar
    Damn, I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

<------hates Regdog's neighbors even more the more he thinks of it.
    I write with my hands tied behind my back.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ~ Red Green

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl dgrintalis's Avatar
    Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
    Last straw came for me this morning. My aunt let me know that yesterday one of our neighbors informed her that she had to have OUR car out of OUR driveway by 8 in the morning because the neighbor is having landscaping work and the landscapers will be parking in our driveway for the day.
    Wow! That takes some serious gall. What part of YOUR driveway do they not understand?

I will be moving our car to the end of our driveway tomorrow morning, thus blocking any access to it.
    Good for you! Why the bloody hell can't THEIR landscapers park in THEIR driveway?
    Blog Twitter

INK on Goodreads
    INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of artÖor a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.

Or, let them use the driveway and then send them an invoice. Invoice them when you have the grass cut, your guttering cleaned, your fence painted, anything external you can think of. If they want to use your aunt's property, they can share in the cost of its upkeep.
    I rant on Facebook and Twitter. And on my blog, Writing, With Drums.

WIPs - The Karma Keeper Urban fantasy/magical realism thingie 44,397 of 85,000

The Poison Master 128 of 85,000

The Judgement Tree 1,028 of 85,000

Family history, complete. Awaiting copy from Createspace.

Quote Originally Posted by kct webber View Post
    Damn, I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

<------hates Regdog's neighbors even more the more he thinks of it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dgrintalis View Post
    Wow! That takes some serious gall. What part of YOUR driveway do they not understand?

Good for you! Why the bloody hell can't THEIR landscapers park in THEIR driveway?
    I wondered that myself

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Or, let them use the driveway and then send them an invoice. Invoice them when you have the grass cut, your guttering cleaned, your fence painted, anything external you can think of. If they want to use your aunt's property, they can share in the cost of its upkeep.
    I like it

If your neighbors give you any more grief concerning demands on your property, have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter. Any letter sent from a lawyer usually gets a person's attention. Our lawyer told us just to send our neighbor, who was dumping her tree cuttings, plant material, and dirty cat box litter on our property, a letter with his name cc'd in. Once they know you have legal representation, they usually back off.

2015 AW POETRY CONTEST -- SPACE
    ...<Info

Entries here (password citrus)

Legal Authority/Public Intellectual robeiae's Avatar
    By the way, regdog, we're also gonna need you to clear out your freezer, as we're going hunting next week-end and will need the extra space for the venison. Feel free to drop off a key to your house at your leisure...as long as you do it today between 4 and 4:15.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

Stars, Bars, and Symbols of the Past

Same-sex marriage and Southern heritage

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast