The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HarperCollins Publishers / Eos / Avon / Voyager

HarperCollins Publishers / Eos / Avon / Voyager

Hello there.
    I am just wondering if anyone knows anyting about a publishing company called EOS. I had heard of an author who was offered a good deal through, without even going through an agent.
    Does anyone know if they are legit, or how to even contact them.

I really do look like this. azbikergirl's Avatar
    The novel I'm reading now was published by EOS -- Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress -- and it won the Hugo and Nebula awards.

Inside the front cover, it says EOS is an imprint of Harper Collins. www.eosbooks.com
    Last edited by azbikergirl; 08-22-2005 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Karen
    writing as KC May

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    The HarperCollins imprint is Eos, not EOS. It does accept unagented work, though I'd guess that like most fiction imprints of large publishers, 99% of what it buys is agented.

There is also an Eos Press that is oriented to gaming.

- Victoria

I really do look like this. azbikergirl's Avatar
    Their logo looks like it's all caps (EOS), so I was unaware there was another company of the same letters. Even on the copyright page, the HC imprint is listed both as EOS and Eos. How confusing!
    Karen
    writing as KC May

I went to theor link at Harper Collins, but it didn't have a place for submission guildines, and such.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar

Eos

per ralan.com:
    EOS (HarperCollins) - major publisher; SF & F. Pays industry standard royalty & advance for 80-125k. No unsolicited subs. Jennifer Brehl, Executive Editor.

Presumably you could send them a one page query letter to see if they'd be interested in soliciting your sub.

Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
    Be aware that there is also a back-end-fee vanity press calling itself "EOS Press" (in addition to the gaming publisher). bloemmarc, can you give us some more details, like the city in which the EOS to which you're referring is based?
    CEP
    blawg: Scrivener's Error (includes links to main site)
    Any legal comments in this message are general commentary only, and not legal advice
    for your specific situation. You should not rely on such comments or any other published
    comments, by me or anyone else as anything other than general guidance.
    Unfortunately, no scam agents, vanity publishers, or other similar carrion-eaters were bent,
    folded, spindled, or mutilated in creating this post (not for want of motivation).
    Of course it's "fine print" it's small and red.

I don't know which city it resides. I had just heard of them, why I asked. Because, I had tried to find them, but wasn't able to. I thought I'd ask somebody here.

It's just another author, I had met said she had received an offer from them for her books, but refused it because she didn't want to give up 15 percent. So, she self published instead, which I thought was kinda dumb, but oh well. Her self published books, and novels are real though, and on barness and noble.com, and other book stores. It's called ancientmirrors

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by bloemmarc
    I went to theor link at Harper Collins, but it didn't have a place for submission guildines, and such.
    And that is one of the ways you can tell if a publisher is more interested in selling books to readers than in getting authors to pay to publish.

Gone
    It's just another author, I had met said she had received an offer from them for her books, but refused it because she didn't want to give up 15 percent.
    The only circumstance I can think of in which she'd have to "give up" 15% is if that were her agent's commission on a sale. Was she clearer about this?
    So, she self published instead, which I thought was kinda dumb, but oh well. Her self published books, and novels are real though, and on barness and noble.com, and other book stores. It's called ancientmirrors
    Which means nothing. I can write a one-page "novel" consisting of bad alien reproductive-imperative poetry, print it through Lulu, and have it listed on the online stores. Doesn't make me any kind of expert on publishing (or alien reproductive-imperative poetry), though it may impress people who don't know how little it means.

Hey, I didn't say it impressed me. I know what self publishing is. No, I am just saying, I actually ordered her books, and they are quite good. They're not lord of the rings, or anything. But, they are still pretty good. There weren't many mistakes, as far as I could see. I could tell, she was good enough to be a professional writer. Plus, she even had a sales rank of $300,000, which isn't great I know. But, it's not bad for a first timer, who self published.

I'm just saying after reading her first book, and second book, the Dragon Queen, why would she have ever turned down a representation from a good publisher like Eos who could have really done something with them. That is, if she really did receive an offer in the first place. But like I said, the books are pretty good. I can be one of the most critical peopel around to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aconite
    And that is one of the ways you can tell if a publisher is more interested in selling books to readers than in getting authors to pay to publish.
    Yes, true.

Gone
    a sales rank of $300,000,
    Er, do you mean 300,000? Because any sales rank that netted me $300K is fine in my book. *g*

why would she have ever turned down a representation from a good publisher like Eos
    Nitpicky but important terminology thingie here: You're represented by an agent, not a publisher. You get offers from publishers. Agents represent you in dealings with publishers.

Why she'd have turned down an offer from a major publisher in order to self-publish is such a mystery that I do have to wonder a bit if she isn't exaggerating. Or maybe the offer was from one of the other, less reputable "Eos" publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aconite
    Er, do you mean 300,000? Because any sales rank that netted me $300K is fine in my book. *g*

Nitpicky but important terminology thingie here: You're represented by an agent, not a publisher. You get offers from publishers. Agents represent you in dealings with publishers.

Why she'd have turned down an offer from a major publisher in order to self-publish is such a mystery that I do have to wonder a bit if she isn't exaggerating. Or maybe the offer was from one of the other, less reputable "Eos" publishers.
    Yes, I meant 300,000rank.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Way nitpicky to nearly off-topic, but you can find some HarperCollins guidelines on line. For example, for their Avon romances:

http://www.harpercollins.com/templat...anceguidelines

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    Way nitpicky to nearly off-topic, but you can find some HarperCollins guidelines on line. For example, for their Avon romances:

http://www.harpercollins.com/templat...anceguidelines
    Bloomsbury as well. They have a whole writers area:

http://www.bloomsbury.com/WritersAre...RWV7BNAKKED4BE
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Harper's Resource

Does anyone know anything about Harper's Resource? I googled them and the only thing I could find was a Harper's Resource Consulting company. They are listed on a book similar to mine. I'm thinking the book was self-published and Harper's Resource was used to market it, but I'm not sure.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

The Blog

Procrastination is its own reward K1P1's Avatar
    Just a note--you might want to post this in the Bewares and Background Check (after searching the index, of course). That's where publishers are discussed, for the most part.

Thanks K, I think I thought of that, but thought since I was working with nf, someone in the nf forum would know. So, how do I either move this or close it and post the question there. No need to be double posting.

The Blog

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I will try moving it over.
    Emily Veinglory

HarperResource is an imprint of HarperCollins. I believe it may have been folded into the general HarperCollins imprint, and doesn't exist as a separate imprint any longer.

- Victoria

Thanks, appreciate the info. Saw the name on a book similar to the one I'm working on. So, I'm guessing if I query them I'd find the editor of that book and send it to HarperCollins?

The Blog

You'd do better to find out who that author's agent is, and send your book to the agent.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW

HarperCollins New Imprint/New Strategy

HarperCollins in the US has a new, yet unnamed imprint which, according to MedialBistro, "will offer minimal advances and instead split a much higher percentage of royalties with the authors."

These folks are serious about it, too. The new imprint will be headed by Robert Miller, the founder of and President of Hyperion, who will be leaving Hyperion to run the new operatio. But the scheme as related by GalleyCat won't be based on royalties but rather profit-sharing. This may or may not be accurate reporting.

Details are still scarce, but they apparently plan on publishing about 25 books per year.

My current publisher hardback publisher in the UK, Macmillan New Writing, uses a very similar scheme, and came in for a lot of criticism in the UK literary press when it announced its formation back in 2005. The controversy died down after MNW was rather successful, with good sales, outstanding reviews, excellent distribution, foreign-language sales, and movie options.

It will be interesting to see how the HarperCollins version of this scheme is greeted in the US.
    Last edited by David I; 04-06-2008 at 12:10 AM.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast