• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chippewa Publishing / Lady Aibell Press

SAWeiner

Reaction score
To All-

Hi. This is my first post. This seems like a great site.

I am hoping to submit my novel to Chippewa Publishing, an internet publisher. Has anyone here had any experience with them? If so, are they legit?

Part of me sees the Internet as the wave of the future for publishing, especially for non-celebrity authors. Part of me also sees the potential for fraud and abuse if one isn't careful.

I look forward to your replies.

TRENNER

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
E-book vendors

Chippewa has titles listed with Fictionwise, Amazon.com (and presumably Powells.com, and other vendors through Lightning Source), and one title is available through Ebookad.com. There are other vendors (Cyberread and Mobipocket.com) that I didn't check but the first two are a very good sign for an e-publisher. It means that their titles are being listed where readers can find them.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. So, they seem legit enough. It's just they are very, very picky as to how writers have formatted submisions.

TRENNER

omega12596

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Trenner, Chippewa is a legit e-publisher. They have published various works by Emy Naso, a respected british author who died in april. Their guidelines are very precise because they are only interested in serious authors. Hope this helps!

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
According to their site, they're planning to expand into print novels sometime in 2006, or at least to start offering some of their current list as print novels.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Formatting requiremenrs have been relaxed considerably--but note unusually specific house style including no contractions and no passive voice.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They don't allow contractions??? That's ridiculous.

Er, I mean, they do not allow contractions??? That is ridiculous. And this is stiff and unnatural.

Maryn, contractionally obligated

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
No contractions

Maryn said:
They don't allow contractions??? That's ridiculous.

Er, I mean, they do not allow contractions??? That is ridiculous. And this is stiff and unnatural.

Maryn, contractionally obligated

tell that to the pregnant lady in the corner.

Allen

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Kasey Mackenzie said:
*wonders why she was relegated to the corner*
Were you being passive? ;)

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
Is anybody currently dealing with Chippewa? I signed a contract with them a few weeks ago, and since then I haven't been able to log into their forums and I haven't gotten any response from them, despite three emails letting them know I couldn't get into the forum. I tried again today and the forum page is blank. Anybody have any info?

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AprilBoo said:
Is anybody currently dealing with Chippewa? I signed a contract with them a few weeks ago, and since then I haven't been able to log into their forums and I haven't gotten any response from them, despite three emails letting them know I couldn't get into the forum. I tried again today and the forum page is blank. Anybody have any info?

I haven't been to their forums, but browsed the site a bit, and everything comes up all right.

Are you using AOL? I've heard of people having problems with sites using AOL. If you have another email address, I'd try sending from that one to see what happens.

Or try a free email address like Yahoo or Google if you've only one email address.

Hope you get this straightened out.

~Nancy

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
Their regular site does appear to be working fine. They give you an address and logon ID for a secure forum where you are supposed to communicate with the editors, etc., once you sign up with them and that's the one I'm having trouble with.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi there

I am on the secure forums. Do you have your username and password? I (and a few others I know of) had some initial trouble getting this to work. The first thing is that sometimes you have to re-enter it 2, or even 3, times after getting rejected and then it will work. If that doesn't work PM me the name you are writing under (the one the know you by) and your email. I will go into the secure forum's tech help area and post a notification of the problem--this general gets a very rapid response. look forward to seeing you in there.

Em.

chippewapublishing

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
I love it when my ears are burning

:)

Our forums can be difficult to access. Logins to the forums will not happen overnight so hang in there. We will get you started soon.

Contractions are fine in dialog because they express the way a person speaks or behaves. We do not remove all of the contractions in narrative, but we do remove a lot of the overused ones. It really depends on the story and the attitude within the story.

Rebecca

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
chippewapublishing said:
:)

Our forums can be difficult to access. Logins to the forums will not happen overnight so hang in there. We will get you started soon.

Contractions are fine in dialog because they express the way a person speaks or behaves. We do not remove all of the contractions in narrative, but we do remove a lot of the overused ones. It really depends on the story and the attitude within the story.

Rebecca
I submitted my novel to a publisher (Moose Enterprises) who (like Chippewa) told me to remove the contractions from the narrative. I wanted to please them, so I spent a lot of time changing every "wasn't" to "was not" and "didn't" to "did not". In the end, it didn't work out with them. Further submissions to other agents and publishers had one common complaint: the narrative was too formal and stodgy. They suggested I use more contractions. I spent a lot more time putting them back in.

Since then I have been leery of blanket admonitions against contractions in narrative. Seems to me the decision whether to use contractions or not depends on the narrative voice.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I believe you and Rebecca are saying the same thing, Roger, as far as not wanting the characters to come across stilted and formal. They only remove overused contractions within dialog (not all of them), thus maintaining the character's personality but avoiding awkward structure.

I do sympathize with your Moose experience. It's like having to reformat the entire manuscript for each potential agent/publisher with either italics or underlining or both for subvocalizations (my ms includes a lot of telepathic dialog); or, reformatting to put your name on the top left or right with page numbers on the top/bottom and the first page of each chapter at half-page, etc. ad nauseum. We may not like it but if we want to be considered, we do it, huh? ;-)

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
In all fairness, I don't see any statement like that on Chippewa's website, but the publisher of Moose said: "I don't like contractions in the narrative."

The thing is, a book is either publishable or it isn't. I can't see how an unpublishable book could be made publishable by removing all the contractions from the narrative. Nor can I see how a publishable novel will be made more publishable by removing them.

The author chooses the voice for his narrator whether 1st or 3rd person. Using contractions or not is part of that choice. A blanket statement to not have contractions in the narrative is too mechanical and simplistic.