Happy Thanksgiving

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chippewa Publishing / Lady Aibell Press

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Chippewa Publishing / Lady Aibell Press

To All-

Hi. This is my first post. This seems like a great site.

I am hoping to submit my novel to Chippewa Publishing, an internet publisher. Has anyone here had any experience with them? If so, are they legit?

Part of me sees the Internet as the wave of the future for publishing, especially for non-celebrity authors. Part of me also sees the potential for fraud and abuse if one isn't careful.

I look forward to your replies.

TRENNER

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    As far as I know, they are a small, legitimate e-publisher of novellas. They only take books under 50,000 words.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Talking

Just to say welcome aboard, Trenner.

Triceratops

E-book vendors

Chippewa has titles listed with Fictionwise, Amazon.com (and presumably Powells.com, and other vendors through Lightning Source), and one title is available through Ebookad.com. There are other vendors (Cyberread and Mobipocket.com) that I didn't check but the first two are a very good sign for an e-publisher. It means that their titles are being listed where readers can find them.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

Thanks everyone. So, they seem legit enough. It's just they are very, very picky as to how writers have formatted submisions.

TRENNER

New kid, be gentle!
    Trenner, Chippewa is a legit e-publisher. They have published various works by Emy Naso, a respected british author who died in april. Their guidelines are very precise because they are only interested in serious authors. Hope this helps!

Outside the box, with the bunnehz KimJo's Avatar
    According to their site, they're planning to expand into print novels sometime in 2006, or at least to start offering some of their current list as print novels.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Formatting requiremenrs have been relaxed considerably--but note unusually specific house style including no contractions and no passive voice.
    Emily Veinglory

Talking

They don't allow contractions??? That's ridiculous.

Er, I mean, they do not allow contractions??? That is ridiculous. And this is stiff and unnatural.

Maryn, contractionally obligated
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

I believe your line was 'Contractions aren't allowed by them!?'

No contractions

Quote Originally Posted by Maryn
    They don't allow contractions??? That's ridiculous.

Er, I mean, they do not allow contractions??? That is ridiculous. And this is stiff and unnatural.

Maryn, contractionally obligated
    tell that to the pregnant lady in the corner.

Allen

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    *wonders why she was relegated to the corner*
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Mackenzie
    *wonders why she was relegated to the corner*
    Were you being passive?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    My husband would no doubt argue I am far from passive. *grin* Can't argue with the pregnant lady part, though.
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

Well I hope it wasn't a contraction! [looks worried]
    Emily Veinglory

Is anybody currently dealing with Chippewa? I signed a contract with them a few weeks ago, and since then I haven't been able to log into their forums and I haven't gotten any response from them, despite three emails letting them know I couldn't get into the forum. I tried again today and the forum page is blank. Anybody have any info?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Which forum is coming up blank for you?

http://www.chippewapublishing.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilBoo
    Is anybody currently dealing with Chippewa? I signed a contract with them a few weeks ago, and since then I haven't been able to log into their forums and I haven't gotten any response from them, despite three emails letting them know I couldn't get into the forum. I tried again today and the forum page is blank. Anybody have any info?
    I haven't been to their forums, but browsed the site a bit, and everything comes up all right.

Are you using AOL? I've heard of people having problems with sites using AOL. If you have another email address, I'd try sending from that one to see what happens.

Or try a free email address like Yahoo or Google if you've only one email address.

Hope you get this straightened out.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Their regular site does appear to be working fine. They give you an address and logon ID for a secure forum where you are supposed to communicate with the editors, etc., once you sign up with them and that's the one I'm having trouble with.

Hi there

I am on the secure forums. Do you have your username and password? I (and a few others I know of) had some initial trouble getting this to work. The first thing is that sometimes you have to re-enter it 2, or even 3, times after getting rejected and then it will work. If that doesn't work PM me the name you are writing under (the one the know you by) and your email. I will go into the secure forum's tech help area and post a notification of the problem--this general gets a very rapid response. look forward to seeing you in there.

Em.
    Emily Veinglory

I love it when my ears are burning

:-)

Our forums can be difficult to access. Logins to the forums will not happen overnight so hang in there. We will get you started soon.

Contractions are fine in dialog because they express the way a person speaks or behaves. We do not remove all of the contractions in narrative, but we do remove a lot of the overused ones. It really depends on the story and the attitude within the story.

Rebecca

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chippewapublishing
    :-)

Our forums can be difficult to access. Logins to the forums will not happen overnight so hang in there. We will get you started soon.

Contractions are fine in dialog because they express the way a person speaks or behaves. We do not remove all of the contractions in narrative, but we do remove a lot of the overused ones. It really depends on the story and the attitude within the story.

Rebecca
    I submitted my novel to a publisher (Moose Enterprises) who (like Chippewa) told me to remove the contractions from the narrative. I wanted to please them, so I spent a lot of time changing every "wasn't" to "was not" and "didn't" to "did not". In the end, it didn't work out with them. Further submissions to other agents and publishers had one common complaint: the narrative was too formal and stodgy. They suggested I use more contractions. I spent a lot more time putting them back in.

Since then I have been leery of blanket admonitions against contractions in narrative. Seems to me the decision whether to use contractions or not depends on the narrative voice.
    --Roger J. Carlson

practical experience, FTW J. Y. Moore's Avatar

Smile

I believe you and Rebecca are saying the same thing, Roger, as far as not wanting the characters to come across stilted and formal. They only remove overused contractions within dialog (not all of them), thus maintaining the character's personality but avoiding awkward structure.

I do sympathize with your Moose experience. It's like having to reformat the entire manuscript for each potential agent/publisher with either italics or underlining or both for subvocalizations (my ms includes a lot of telepathic dialog); or, reformatting to put your name on the top left or right with page numbers on the top/bottom and the first page of each chapter at half-page, etc. ad nauseum. We may not like it but if we want to be considered, we do it, huh? ;-)
    Last edited by J. Y. Moore; 09-19-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    J. Y. (Jean) Moore
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson
    I spent a lot more time putting them back in.
    Personally, I wouldn't re-write a book until after the checkbook was open.

If the editor says "I will buy this book if...." then I'd do it.

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    In all fairness, I don't see any statement like that on Chippewa's website, but the publisher of Moose said: "I don't like contractions in the narrative."

The thing is, a book is either publishable or it isn't. I can't see how an unpublishable book could be made publishable by removing all the contractions from the narrative. Nor can I see how a publishable novel will be made more publishable by removing them.

The author chooses the voice for his narrator whether 1st or 3rd person. Using contractions or not is part of that choice. A blanket statement to not have contractions in the narrative is too mechanical and simplistic.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast