AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Scrybe Press

beata_mishi

Scrybe Press

I ran across this market in ralan.com--apparently the print chapbooks and anthonolgies. Does anyone know how well-made their publications are and how much of an audience they reach?

ScrybePress

Re: Anyone know about Scrybe Press?

In response to your inquiry, I would gladly send you a sample of one of our chapbooks if you'd like. They are manufactured by hand - staple bound. The covers are gloss-finished heavy card stock with full-color artwork by pro artists (typically wraparound). Interior layout is pleasing and well-designed - we design to the same standards for a chapbook as for a trade paperback novel.

Currently our chapbooks are carried by a large number of online and brick & mortar stores - including Amazon.com, Alibris, and others - and almost all have made the Shocklines bestseller lists the week they debuted. In addition, our trade paperbacks have reached as high as #12 on the Amazon.com Dark Fantasy bestseller list. We advertise in a variety of online sites and several print magazines as well as Ingram Advance and other trade publications.

If you'd like any further information, feel free to contact me or peruse our website (www.scrybepress.com). Additionally, with regard to the quality of our products, I could pass along blog links for several of the authors whom we have published - noting their enthusiastic response to the physical product on its arrival.

Thank you

Nathan Barker
    Senior Editor
    Scrybe Press

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Travel_Writer's Avatar

Smile Scrybe Press

Hi all,
    I was wondering if any of you have heard anything bad about Double Dragon, the reason I ask is that I sent a novel to them 9 weeks ago and have not received a response yet. Even though they said their response time was 6-8 weeks. Iíve contacted them twice and havenít received a response.

Have had the same problem with Scrybe Press too any advice on what I should do?

Geraldine

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX mdin's Avatar
    All I know about Scrybe is that they do mostly chapbooks. Is that what you're looking to sell?

My Art

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Travel_Writer's Avatar

Smile Thank You

Thanks Dave for the advice I know I probably just impatient first book and all that.

I donít mean to make myself out to be an idiot but my expertise is mainly in travel writing Navigator so to be real honest I'm not sure what a chapbook is because I'm new to book writing, sorry if this sounds stupid but what is a chapbook?

Thank you both for your response, very much appreciated

Geraldine

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX mdin's Avatar
    A chapbook is either a novella or collection of poems or other stuff, usually bound in book shape with a pair of staples and slightly heavier card stock for a cover. i.e. they print it out on a standard size piece of paper landscape and fold it over. It's something you can easily make on your home computer. About 90% of the chapbooks are see are poetry or horror short stories.

My Art

practical experience, FTW kristin724's Avatar
    I'm also looking into Scrype Press. Any pros or cons stories with their trade paperback lines?

For print possiblities I've narrowed it down to Scrype, New concepts, Soft Skull, and Blindside. Ebooks I'm going to try for Mundia or Reniassance.

Negatives?

The Vampire Family - in paperback!
    Fate and Fangs- series on sale now!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.scrybepress.com/submissionguidelines.html

Tiny advances, but they pay on gross (which is a Good thing). I recognize several of their authors, so you'd be in good company, IMHO.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Nanobo
    Quote Originally Posted by kristin724
    I'm also looking into Scrype Press. Any pros or cons stories with their trade paperback lines?
    Scrybe appears to be a dead market. They haven't published anything since last summer, and were horribly behind schedule even then. Several authors have bailed out. Supposedly they were swamped with submissions, but since they haven't closed to new submissions it's unlikely they'll be able to dig themselves out of their slushpile and get back into production. You're better off saving yourself the grief and looking for a publisher with a regular release schedule.

practical experience, FTW kristin724's Avatar
    Yes I sent a query to the Scrybe editor and got a 'mailbox is full' reply. So it seems they haven't check their email in a year either. Such a shame.

I am leaning more towards Blindside now. I'd like to try one more time in print before I switch the an ebook or an online serial.

The Vampire Family - in paperback!
    Fate and Fangs- series on sale now!

practical experience, FTW Matthew Warner's Avatar
    Double Dragon: Traditional publisher (i.e., competitive submissions and royalty-paying). Publishes trade paperbacks w/ POD technology but mainly does e-books. At least that's always been my understanding. They published my first book The Organ Donor, as an e-book in 2002 and then as a tradepaper a year later. Separate contracts for each. Always been fair to deal with; no major complaints.

Scrybe: Appears to be a dead market. They hired my wife for a web design that was partially completed before they went AWOL. They owe her several hundred bucks that I doubt she'll ever receive. (If this changes, I'll of course append this comment.)

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I send a query to Scrybe maybe 6 months ago and never got a reply. DD still seem to be grinding slow but pretty fine. I would suggest giving them some more time.
    Emily Veinglory

(Copied/split from DDP thread.)

Scrybe Press is still active. http://www.scrybepress.com/

From their News page:
    April 24th, 2008

Please note: If you submitted a work to us prior to 2006 and have not heard from us, please re-submit your manuscript (or not, if you prefer). We’ve had an inordinate amount of queries lately for works submitted in late 2005.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Ditching the pseudonym V. Greene's Avatar
    Update on Scrybe for anyone else with something in the works:

The editor says he's taken a 75-hour/week day job and means to get through all current submissions, printing the favorites, but is taking no new ones.

FWIW he's had mine for 15 months. I can't quite decide whether to pull it or figure I just have to be next, but there just aren't that many novella publishers out there. A pity, really, as I like reading novellas. They're easier to tote around than the doorstops.
    Last edited by V. Greene; 07-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    I am officially ditching my pseudonym.

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    So this guy just publishes as a hobby then? I think I'd pull out anyway. You want a publisher who's day job is publishing, not something else. If this guy is taking a day job, he's doing it for a reason.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Yes, definitely pull it.

No response from this publisher. It's a waste.

Tri

Footnote: Nothing further published, and relationship with at least one remaining author ended with complaints of non-payment (ultimately resolved).
    ICAO
    ---------