AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Definitions of the Different Heat Levels?

Second star to the right, straight on till evening

Definitions of the Different Heat Levels?

Please pardon the "newbie" question, but does anyone have a list or a link to an actual description of the different romance heat levels? Like, I know "sweet" means maybe kissing, and anything else happens "behind closed doors," and erotica or "romantica" is very explicit, but I'm not really sure what the divisions are between. Like, what's the difference between "sensual" and "spicy"? I'm trying to craft a query letter ( :P ) and someone suggested I should included what heat level it is.

Thanks!

IMO:

Sensual - vague wording but sexy
    Spicy - graphic and detailed

Spicy probably has more frequency. I would think Julie Garwood has 'sensual' (the love scenes are there, no closed doors, but not super graphic). 'Spicy' would be more along the lines of Kresley Cole - very graphic but not flat out erotica.
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    Pretty much. There are different levels at different publishers but if you use these, they'll understand.
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    In terms of the specific act that comes down the individual publisher. Some acts (e.g. gay kissing, het anal) vary very widely in where they are coded by each publisher.
    Emily Veinglory

permaflounced
    If you want publisher specific guidelines, look at Desert Breeze (which publishes non-erotic romance). They post specific heat levels (DAMAGES is classed "warm") in the books they like to publish.

www.desertbreezepublishing.com

Second star to the right, straight on till evening
    So, my current WIP is probably right at the upper end of "sensual." I mean, there are only two love scenes (and a few interrupted love scenes, lol my poor MCs), but they are reasonably explicit. Still within the confines of romance rather than erotica, I think. I guess an editor would let me know if they thought I was at a different heat level.

Thanks, everyone! I'll keep that in mind, and try to remember to look over the online guidelines for different publishers prior to submitting.