Demon's Souls, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why I hate this game? I normally love roguelikes, but I'm finding the controls difficult, and it seems to be more difficult in general than others I've played.

Maybe I should have started with a different class? I started as a royal but I am finding it especially difficult to aim their starting spell.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
whistlelock: Surprisingly, yes. I thought it'd be about princesses and ponies when I picked it up, myself.

I got used to the controls after a few hours of playing, but I played as a melee class. After once I have yet to pick the game up again, though. I don't know if it's standard for roguelikes, but I felt completely and utterly lost in what I was supposed to be doing.

I run along -- fine, it's linear -- then I die. I'm in a new area now, so I read text and eventually take a door that the game says leads to an easy hack-n-slash in order to get my body back. I keep dying as I go through this area and getting sent back to the entrance, but every time I get a little farther. I meet a vendor. I see interesting places. I get insta-killed by a dragon, which is done hilariously enough to negate the frustration.

Finally, with no sense of where I was going or how it mattered, I quit.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's what I hate about it. It's opaque. That's normal for a roguelike. It's ultra-linear. That is not at all standard for a roguelike, and it isn't working for me.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
It's a good game but it took me several hours before I started to get used to it. It is a very hard game, very, very hard. Extremely unforgiving but satisfying once you start to get a grip on it. You can't play it like a normal RPG though, it isn't. Dying is an integral part of it, you have to accept that you will die, a lot, but that each time you do you learn a little bit more about to beat it. Took me a bout 10 hours I think before I managed to complete the first boss but was then able to farm the whole level in about 20 minutes. Very time consuming, slow and steady. Have to work out how to kill as much as possible before they even see you and if they do timing is the key to melee, no hack and slash. The only things I really disliked about the game was the lack of mana regeneration (if you want to use magic, which is awesome, you have to spend a lot on spices), and the huge increases in levelling costs later on.
Oh and you really, really need to find the thiefs ring.
However I'll admit that I did give up without completing it even once (and diablo style you can keep playing it on harder and harder settings), as much as I enjoyed it, it was just too hardcore for me to keep sinking time into.

PS: just read that Goodbye Demon's souls article, never got that far but I can understand it!

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's generally in line with what most roguelikes do, except for the linear thing. Baroque, for example, is a roguelike that I was able to get a lot of enjoyment out of. The article seems to match my experience quite similarly.

Eric Summers

Apply Directly to Forehead
Registered
Reaction score
It can be difficult but for the most part it is worth it. The boss battles (the ones I have completed) have all been a bit too easy compared to the rest of the game. Losing souls is not that traumatic when you get used to it, we are just conditioned to view every thing a game takes away from us as bad these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.