Finally, Barbie Goes the Big "A"

Scandiaca

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I never liked barbie.. but I like the nerd glasses and approve of the flying spaghetti monster ^.^

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
When Barbie first came out, in the '50's her figure was closer to what was fashionable at the time, actual breasts and hips, and a cinched-in waist. Look at the big stars of the time, for comparison purposes. Now, well, that 'model' that was elongated into Barbie proportions couldn't be a 'model'. Too chunky.

And, as noted, some of the design is for technical fashion-doll reasons. It's hard to scale and stitch doll clothes properly, by the time you add a waistband, that tiny waist is filling in. The weirdly long neck looks good in a collar, or a high neckline, while a proportional neck would look jammed-up. The long legs look good in pants, and you can have 'short' skirts (judging by 'height at knee') without offending parents. And the absurdly small feet make sliding on those pants, tights, etc, so much easier. Try it with a flat-footed doll sometime.

NoDanico

Registered
Reaction score
Lol. She's reading the god delusion. That's great.

nibris

Registered
Reaction score
=) I have to admit, that made me laugh when I saw the picture. However, that portrayal of Barbie seemed more "hipster" than atheist to me. But I guess for all I know a lot of hipsters are atheists

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
if BIG feet were commonly accepted as more sexy, then they'd be big...

;)

Barbies do have tiny feet. Tiny hands too, and a much larger head than a real person. Most dolls do, actually. A real person can cover her own face with her hand. Barbie sure can't.

And don't get me started about how her pencil-thin legs are at least a foot and a half apart up their entire length, terminating in a notch-shaped flat area that would not be anatomically possible on a woman who can actually walk bipedally.

I was the kind of girl who preferred legos and breyer horses to dolls, but I'll admit the specialized Barbies are kind of amusing.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I never got this image thing about Barbie. I had Barbies and the various cohorts growing up, and never once thought that I should strive to have a body like hers. But then nobody else in the family went on and on about one's looks either, other than not dressing like a slob. I think there's more to it than a doll...

Err - sorry - derail...

GinnieHazel

Registered
Reaction score
If we're going to talk about it we can at least give her props for saying Barbie can do it and not just Ken.