The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Insomniac Press

Insomniac Press

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for information about these three publishers:

Insomniac Press
    MacAdam Cage
    The Permanent Press

All three appear to have legitimate sales, but I can't find anything about them here or on P&E so I thought I'd ask before I get started on query letters/packages.

Thanks and everyone have a great day!
    Caren

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    To the best of my knowledge they're all three legitimate small-to-very-small presses.

Get copies of their guidelines and follow them to the letter.

Good luck.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by caren1701
    Insomniac Press
    MacAdam Cage
    I can't tell you any more than this, but at least one bookstore I frequented regularly had books from these two presses.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Insomniac is a legitimate Canadian small press that's been around for a while. I don't know offhand if they only consider Canadians, but have found Mike O'Connor to be polite and professional thus far.

And they also sponsored a large writing contest here that awarded a considerable prize to a new writer and a publishing contract.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar

jenrob

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    After looking into these sites I find that MacAdam has a long list of what they won't read. It almost eliminates most novels.

The permanent press has books that look like they are over priced.

Jennifer Robins

I'm about to query Insomniac Press, but am not sure if I should put it to the attention of Mike O'Connor, the publisher, or Dan Varrette, the managing editor. Judging from the previously published works of gay fiction they offer, I feel they would be a perfect fit for my book. Help. I really want to get this right.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    I'd suggest addressing your query to the editor -- though you might want to note that their website says they're actively seeking non-fiction, which might mean that they're inundated with fiction.

Thanks, Unimportant. I read that site over and over and over and somehow missed that. I read it as "actively seeking non-fiction and fiction on blah blah blah subjects." I suspect I was seeing what I wanted to see. I got overly excited because the published works in their gay fiction section were so compelling. I wanted to be a part of it. I'll send them the best query I can and see what happens.

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Writerbear View Post
    Insomniac is a legitimate Canadian small press that's been around for a while. I don't know offhand if they only consider Canadians, but have found Mike O'Connor to be polite and professional thus far.

And they also sponsored a large writing contest here that awarded a considerable prize to a new writer and a publishing contract.
    Here's Insomniac's guidelines. Surprisingly, they accept foreign submissions. (A whack of Canadian publishers won't look at your work if you're not Canadian.)

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

practical experience, FTW Peachnuts's Avatar
    I subbed to them about a month ago and still no word... fingers crossed

Anything new on Insomniac Press? Canadian publisher, not sure if they give preference to Canadians (apparently some do). How many books would a "medium-size independent press" release each year?

From their website: Insomniac was founded in 1992, and since that time, it has evolved from a small press that publishes poetry chapbooks, to a medium-size independent press that publishes eye-catching non-fiction titles as well as the great fiction and poetry for which it has become known.

What they want: Insomniac has developed special niche areas in which it publishes unique books. For example, its black studies books, gay and lesbian books, personal finance books, celebrity writer-as-musician books (including titles by Matthew Good, Jann Arden and Terri Clark), and gay mysteries have developed devoted followings.