• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Punkin House Press / Punkin Books / Creative Writers Space

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Punkin House Press

I know someone who contacted this company with a "proposal" for a chapter book she's working on. And apparently they've told her they're interested, even though the book is nowhere near complete.

Looking over their website, particularly the FAQs, they don't accept anything unfinished, plus they publish in ebook first, then possibly print later.

I don't see a catalogue on their website. I've seen catalogues on ebook websites before, but not this one.

I also found this posted online.

Not that there's anything wrong with ebooks, I'm trying to advise this author to set her goals higher for her first time out.

Thoughts?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the one poster to look elsewhere. I don't know if they're outright inexperienced (they probably are, website is geared to authors instead of readers), but there's no vote of confidence about the site.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
This Press or whatever it is gets stranger and stranger.

On their home page, they say Punkin House Press "is on a mission to help the artist." and "If an author's manuscript is accepted for publication they are completely represented by Punkin House."

Why is a publisher on any kind of mission? And to "help the artist?" I honestly don't get this. This almost implies that it's nonprofit because they're on a mission.

Also, publishers don't "represent" authors. They publish books. To sell to readers.

On their FAQ page, they say this: "Work will be published as an eBook initially. A portion of the proceeds not to exceed 20% will be placed into escrow by Punkin House to allow for printing at a later date. These monies do not reduce the Royalty paid to the Author." I want to know: When is that later date? Six weeks? Six months?

Then there's the link to PunkinBooks.

This is, I guess, the publishing arm of Punkin House Press. Neither PHP nor PB are listed in Preditors and Editors, nor are they listed as having any kind of presence on amazon.

According to their website, they are "the latest concept in Publishing." What is that, exactly?

Then I found this statement on this page.

Punkin House Press seeks to put authors first. We want to be the publishing company that helps you realize your dreams and see your hard work published. We’ve been through the struggle of trying to publish a book with the major publishing companies, and want to create something focused on the author with clear communication and accessible editors.

So, the principles couldn't get a book published, so made their own publishing house.

"We'll make your dreams come true" basically.

Where have we seen this before?

There is a link to their bookstore on the main page, but it doesn't click. So, no bookstore.

What incentive is there for anyone to submit their work to this press? What are the qualifications of the principles to run a publishing company? Which publishers did they work for before? In what aspect? Editing, acquisitions, publicity? Anything book-related?

Personally, my sights are higher than this, and I wish I could convince someone otherwise, but the ears are closed.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I know someone who contacted this company with a "proposal" for a chapter book she's working on. And apparently they've told her they're interested, even though the book is nowhere near complete.

Chapter book as in a chapter book for children? If so, children that young are not a big market for ebooks (yet... there are moves that way, but it'll be some time till enough young children have ereaders).

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Yet another online publishing entity started by a writer who couldn't get published.

Punkin House Press seeks to put authors first. We want to be the publishing company that helps you realize your dreams and see your hard work published. We’ve been through the struggle of trying to publish a book with the major publishing companies, and want to create something focused on the author with clear communication and accessible editors.

They also have a self-publishing imprint.

Pass.

~brianm~

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
They also have a self-publishing imprint.

If you're going to have them do the work, technically the author is not self publishing. Yet, that's what they call it. Could they instead say "vanity press?"

On that website it says:
If you have a book ready to go, you really don't need a publisher or an agent. What you need is distribution and marketing services. Punkin Books will gladly list your book for sale on www.PunkinBooks.com.
But, Punkin Books has no evident distribution. The bookstore doesn't work and none of the books are on amazon. But, since this is a young company, perhaps someday these ebooks will be print books.

Distribution-wise, will they be available in bookstores or stocked in bookstores? That would be among the first questions I would ask these folks before signing anything.

We're all aware of another "publishing" entity started by writers who couldn't find publishers for their work, who say they'll make the authors' dreams come true, and who swear the books will be "available" in bookstores from sea to shining sea.

This service, basically, promises to list your already published book on their site. Why? I guess because they're on a "mission."

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what makes writers think they can do a better job than people actually making the money.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Writers Space forum is gone. Shop still doesn't work, but some books are on Amazon now.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site gone. Last book pubbed '14.