Enviropig to the rescue!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
http://singularityhub.com/2010/04/0...iropig-waiting-for-approval-in-us-and-canada/

The skinny: Some Canadians have been genetically modifying pigs to make them, to quote...

They are cheaper to feed because they do not require separate phosphorus food supplements, and they are better for the environment because they release up to 70% less phosphorus in their waste.

They're on their eight generation of enviropigs and they're apparently doing pretty well.

Of course, there are the ominous downsides, such as having a smaller gene-pool results in an easier spread of infections. And there is the argument that the fact that we NEED these pigs at all is indication that our agricultural system needs some rejiggering.

I'm of the belief that we should feed as many people as healthily as possible as cheap as possible. So, I'm in the 'better methodology' and 'better tools' and 'better genetics' camp.

Anywho, still a neat story!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Don't let them fool you.

These are just the prototypes for a cyborpig army.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Manbearpig disapproves of genetic engineering.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Just wait until we start combing pig DNA with Elephant DNA to make an Elepig.

Also, imagine genetically engineering pigs for various flavors.

Sour Cream Pig, Ranch Pig, A-1 Pig, Mustard Pig, Pepper Pig...

I have a feeling, this sort of thing is going to get very interesting in the coming decades

Mel...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
They're on their eight generation of enviropigs and they're apparently doing pretty well.

Of course, there are the ominous downsides, such as having a smaller gene-pool results in an easier spread of infections. . .

I'm of the belief that we should feed as many people as healthily as possible as cheap as possible. So, I'm in the 'better methodology' and 'better tools' and 'better genetics' camp.
"Infections" include"viruses. A sufficiently small gene pool makes a species vulnerable to viral mutations that can wipe out the entire species. No more bacon.

In our genetically monotype food crops, the same thing is a very real possibility. All the rice crops in the world could be wiped out, for example.

Genetic diversity protects against this.That's why seed banks preserve a number of different genetic lines of varieties of seeds that are no longer grown by farmers -- just in case.

Some seeds are astoundingly long lived, still viable after centuries.

Seeds may be viable for hundreds and even thousands of years. The oldest carbon-14-dated seed that has grown into a viable plant was a Judean date palm seed about 2,000 years old, recovered from excavations at Herod the Great's palace in Israel. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_viable_seed

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's good.

I once had the crazy idea that we should start taking genetic catalogs of all animals that we know of that are close to going extinct. So if we don't save them now, we can still (one day) bring them back.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, that's good.

I once had the crazy idea that we should start taking genetic catalogs of all animals that we know of that are close to going extinct. So if we don't save them now, we can still (one day) bring them back.

Imagine that, I may celebrate my 80th birthday party with panda steaks!