• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Melange Books (formerly Midnight Showcase / MS Fiction)

April Marie

Registered
Reaction score
well, it just got released a week or so ago. all i really know so far is that they gave it a beautiful cover, and that i was very happy with how the book was edited. admittedly, i'm not good at self-promotion and marketing, so i'm wondering if it will do better or worse in sales through Melange than my other book has through another publisher. i'll have to wait and see on that, though. here's the amazon link, so you can check out their finished product, though. i really like the artist they assigned to the project. it wasn't some "stock" piece of art, either. i talked to the artist herself. she created the cover specifically attuned to my novella....http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMIUZBY

That is great to hear! And I'm with you, self promotion isn't any fun, but I'm afraid it's a necessity. Is you book available in any other print form other than LULU?

dale hollin

Registered
Reaction score
it's a novella, so it's not available in print form at all. for melange, a book has to be over 40,000 to be ran in paperback. mine is like 21,000.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I love the cover, but to be honest I'm not impressed by the editing.

dale hollin

Registered
Reaction score
I love the cover, but to be honest I'm not impressed by the editing.

well, my personal problems with editors in the past has been one of them hacking my work to hell. one particular publisher, one far more well known than melange in the horror industry, hacked my work so bad i refused the contract. melange basically went through and removed or altered most of the technical problems my work had, but left my flowery style and particular "voice" the hell alone. which is probably because they are primarily a romance publisher. so they were surely more used to my flowery style moreso than a straight horror publisher would be.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My agent had to work the contract, and she did with good results. It's a B-tier publisher, but that was my decision to go with them. I'm signing my second book with them. I have an erotic romance coming out in a month or two. Nancy has been a pleasure to exchange with, my editor really conformed to my wishes and style, and the first cover was fairly decent. No real complaints here.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sold the third book to them. One more to go to complete the YA trilogy. So, I'll be Red Satin and Fire and Ice. Not problems whatsoever. We just couldn't squeeze an advance out of them. But every other clause was redefined, rewrote, improved or struck. I've dealt with nearly the entire staff, and will say that they are insufferably polite and easy on your nerves.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in. I had noticed Fire & Ice YA soliciting 50k+ upper YA novels, and was wondering how F&IYA/Melange was doing in the marketing/earnings field, now that a few more years had passed and track records have been accumulated. Are their authors pretty content with them, or have y'all outgrown them pretty quickly?