JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
New to this challenge!

Title: Song of the Valkyrie
Word Count: 11,654
Goal: 300 wpd/ 1500 per week
6000 per month!?

Hope to be finished some time this year.

Welcome Kyocrisis!

I managed to get another 2,000 words down last night. I'm on a roll! If I continue at this rate, I'll be finished by the weekend!

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
welcome kyocrisis!

got in 1,036 words in tonight! I also started a writing scrapbook a couple weeks ago, which is really helping me. I've been putting in pictures, articles, and been writing ideas and everything. I've also been taking the advice I see on other threads on AW to make things difficult for your characters. I've been too easy on them, which resulted in less pages. Now, I'm making things more interesting, and I'm loving the conflicts. :)

My word count is up to 22,299 now :D

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sorry about that other post, I was using my phone to do that, I guess it got messed up. What I meant to say was: A tip, I did a marathon write of 5k words . After that, 2k a day is routine (depending on your schedule, of course.)

It is kind of like taking a first big step up a staircase only to see that the rest are much smaller. Or like how I went to road trips with my dad and places that seemed far (ex: 50 miles) seemed to be passing quickly. Its a mental thing. I'm on another marathon, still going, maybe it'll end up to about 5k today. But, I kind of rush through, so the quality isn't that good. I just try going for word count. Great to see you guys are doing well, keep it up!

As a side thing, do any of you have McAfee SiteAdvisor? For some reason, it's flagged as red and it says this is a dangerous site for me. Might it have to do with the time some people couldn't access the site? I might make a thread in Tech Help if it isn't already there.

kyocrisis

Einherjar
Registered
Reaction score
Sitting at 12,174 words right now.

So 520 words in 2 days which is a little bit less than my goal, but I also deleted a fair amount of stuff.

Revising now so I'm going slow word wise. Waiting for feedback on part 2-3 of my chapter so I know what needs to be revised.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Nice going, people. Kyocrisis, something I do while waiting for feedback is to keep pushing on anyway. Don't know if it'll help you, but it meant sure I was being productive and had a stash of revisions piled up for when I inevitably hit an off day.
University... is... finished. Breathe sigh of relief, collapse on nearest seating implement.

Think I've earned some time off, so I'll get back onto my sequel project... hmm, Saturday. AW fix sorted, so see you then, challengers. Keep writin'.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Another 3,500 words last night. My book has reached it's climax, the last stand!

Will have my draft finished by the weekend :D So happy!

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Here goes nothing :D

Title: Scrubbing Grandma
Word count: 2086
Goal: 500 wpd / 2500 wpw

I know I'll have days where I can't reach that goal (tomorrow!) but hopefully I can average it out over the week.
I'd like to have a first draft down by the start of August.

I keep switching to edit mode so when I notice it I have to stop working on that particular scene for a few days. If any ideas for that scene come up I'll just make a few notes but no actual writing of it until the edit mode has passed.

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
sorry for the double post, guys, but I had to announce it:

I hit the 25k mark today!!!! So 5k more and I'll be halfway to my goal of 60k.
*happy dance*

okay, back to writing :)
hope you all are having a good weekend.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a little while since I last checked in, glad to see everyone's progress.

The last couple of days I've had the urge to write, I just dont know what. Blake(my son)'s cancer treatment is exhausting me, I feel like I dont have time/energy enough to scratch my butt let alone write.

My reading isnt going fantastic either, I seem to have lost ineterest in the things that give me entertainment. I'm struggling with it all and it's wearing me down, we're only 6 weeks into it. Another year to go.

He has taken it really well though, he's a little 6 year old warrior. The only thing I have noticed is he doesnt eat as much, but I eat enough for both of us so thats all good. Emotional eating, if I'm going to gain weight, I may as well do it well!

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a little while since I last checked in, glad to see everyone's progress.

The last couple of days I've had the urge to write, I just dont know what. Blake(my son)'s cancer treatment is exhausting me, I feel like I dont have time/energy enough to scratch my butt let alone write.

My reading isnt going fantastic either, I seem to have lost ineterest in the things that give me entertainment. I'm struggling with it all and it's wearing me down, we're only 6 weeks into it. Another year to go.

He has taken it really well though, he's a little 6 year old warrior. The only thing I have noticed is he doesnt eat as much, but I eat enough for both of us so thats all good. Emotional eating, if I'm going to gain weight, I may as well do it well!

Good to see you back again. I hope everything is going okay with your family and I wish you the very best for the next year.

So here it is: I finished my first draft of my first ever novel!! :D 49,000 words which I intend to double in my rewrite. I'm now letting it rest for a while before I rewrite it, but I don't know what to do with myself lol

Might start working on it's sequel (which is for the most part outlined) and see where it takes me.

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
354 words today, although they are starting to come easier, so hopefully I can start making up my differences :D

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Good to see you back again. I hope everything is going okay with your family and I wish you the very best for the next year.

So here it is: I finished my first draft of my first ever novel!! :D 49,000 words which I intend to double in my rewrite. I'm now letting it rest for a while before I rewrite it, but I don't know what to do with myself lol

Might start working on it's sequel (which is for the most part outlined) and see where it takes me.
Whooppee doo! :hooray:

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be joining this thread soon...*waves* Hi everyone. I'm having a big issue with finishing this next manuscript. I think it's more finding the motivation to keep going but I think having a place to report might help. I'm still reworking some worldbuilding stuff but I should be ready to get back to writing soon. Go me :)

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be joining this thread soon...*waves* Hi everyone. I'm having a big issue with finishing this next manuscript. I think it's more finding the motivation to keep going but I think having a place to report might help. I'm still reworking some worldbuilding stuff but I should be ready to get back to writing soon. Go me :)

Hey Roly, welcome to the thread!

If you're having difficulty with a manuscript, do you have another project you can fall back on? I find that if I'm lacking motivation for a story, working on another one helps. Changes the way my brain works :D

Best of luck with the manuscript though, when you hit the 70-80% mark you'll find it hard to stop writing!

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I'm on my first novel too, cracked the 40k mark (including the notes I wrote here and there), still a lot of stuff left. I was about to ask you about the word count issues, but you answered before I could ask.

French, hope all goes well.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been to this thread in ages, probably because I wasn't doing much drafting for a long time, but I'm spending my entire summer break in a drafting frenzy, so it seemed fitting to come back.

Current WIP: Lifelike
Current WC: just under 44k, due to hit 46.7k before I go to bed
Daily goal: 6k, except for Tuesdays--I take Tuesdays off because I spend most of the day volunteering at the library

The goal is to finish this one on June 7th :D

And congrats on finishing, Fitchett!

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
Okay, so here's what happened with my WIP. I started a rewrite, got 34k in and decided I didn't like where it was going, so I ended up taking the new first third (which I did like) and combining it with the last two thirds of my old draft. Now I have an entire third draft that needs some work.

I have four scenes in particular I'm planning to rewrite in order to alter the plot of that last two-thirds, and then I think I might have an acceptable plot for a ~50k novella. Might being the operative word.

Then the edit begins.

I'm hoping to have the major scene rewriting done by this weekend because I start my 10-week internship on Monday, meaning I will no longer be home all day sitting on my butt with plenty of time to write. So I'll be relegated to editing in the evenings anyway. -crosses fingers- I really want this thing done and polished by August. I've been fiddling with it so long that I'm itching to start another project, but I'm trying to discipline myself into finishing what I start.

I will finish this. I will self-publish this. I will.
:Hammer:

JustKia

Registered
Reaction score
I got in just over 1k yesterday.
I can't imagine being able to write 6k in a day my mind is just way too flighty -- oh, look a butterfly... I also keep getting pulled away by household responsibilities.
If I can get in near the same today I'll be happy.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my first novel too, cracked the 40k mark (including the notes I wrote here and there), still a lot of stuff left. I was about to ask you about the word count issues, but you answered before I could ask.

I find it much easier to just write things shorthand. To an outsider, my novel doesn't read very well. It lacks description and gets to the point quickly. To me, every sentence reads more like three or four. They trigger deeper thoughts about what something looks like, sounds like or how a certain event affects the plot.

So that's why it's only 49k. Including everything I just mentioned should push it up to around 80-90k (my target)

I can't imagine being able to write 6k in a day my mind is just way too flighty -- oh, look a butterfly... I also keep getting pulled away by household responsibilities.

1k a day is a good target to set yourself :) 1k is about the same as an hour (depending on your writing speed), so an hour a day in the evening (away from housework!) is a reasonable target and is easy enough to do.

Of course, if your life is hectic as hell, an hour can feel a lot longer!

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I find it much easier to just write things shorthand. To an outsider, my novel doesn't read very well. It lacks description and gets to the point quickly. To me, every sentence reads more like three or four. They trigger deeper thoughts about what something looks like, sounds like or how a certain event affects the plot.

So that's why it's only 49k. Including everything I just mentioned should push it up to around 80-90k (my target)

1k a day is a good target to set yourself :) 1k is about the same as an hour (depending on your writing speed), so an hour a day in the evening (away from housework!) is a reasonable target and is easy enough to do.

Of course, if your life is hectic as hell, an hour can feel a lot longer!

That's what I sometimes do. It's like baking a cake. You can add the icing and design on top after you get the main part done.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I need to get back on the daily word count bandwagon. I am going whole weeks without writing anything except notes. And I'm only working 20-30 hours a week, so it's not like I don't have time.

Hereafter my goal is 500 words a day, starting today.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I sometimes do. It's like baking a cake. You can add the icing and design on top after you get the main part done.

Exactly!

I need to get back on the daily word count bandwagon. I am going whole weeks without writing anything except notes. And I'm only working 20-30 hours a week, so it's not like I don't have time.

Hereafter my goal is 500 words a day, starting today.

500 is a reasonable target and can be done in a single sitting. Plus you get to feel amazing if you pass it!

Good luck!

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score

I hear ya there, JustKia! I'm the same way. I'm jealous of people on here who can easily right 5k+ a day with no problem. I really wish I could do that. My highest word count in a day has been about 2-3k. Which is rare for me. My average is usually 1k.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I failed to write my usual 6k on Thursday for various reasons. I only did a bit under 3k. But I managed the usual today (I haven't gone to bed yet, so it's still Friday in my mind) and I'm vaguely considering doing a bit more just because I happen to still be conscious.

I hear ya there, JustKia! I'm the same way. I'm jealous of people on here who can easily right 5k+ a day with no problem. I really wish I could do that. My highest word count in a day has been about 2-3k. Which is rare for me. My average is usually 1k.
Honestly, I didn't start the 6k/day thing until really recently. I'm on summer break at the moment, and I don't have a job, so I get to devote my days to books, and that makes it a lot easier for me to churn out a bunch of words every day. Once classes start back up in the fall...not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.