The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, this is completelly off topic so I apologise. I may or may not (depending on how I feel) be distancing myself from AW.

my son's results cam back and it's not good. He has yet another tumor in his brain and the one in his spine had doubled in size in the last 3 months.
We have been given 6 - 12 months with him.

This isnt good enough so we are opting for experimental treatment to try and see if we can lengthen the time we have left.

This is NOT a cure, we have come to the end of the road, we're just trying to extend it as much as we can.

Thanks everyone for all your prayers and warm wishes. We appreciate it.

I'm going to try and keep writing, but it just depends on where I am emotionally and what is going on in my son's treatment.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, this is completelly off topic so I apologise. I may or may not (depending on how I feel) be distancing myself from AW.

my son's results cam back and it's not good. He has yet another tumor in his brain and the one in his spine had doubled in size in the last 3 months.

This isnt good enough so we are opting for experimental treatment to try and see if we can lengthen the time we have left.

This is NOT a cure, we have come to the end of the road, we're just trying to extend it as much as we can.

I'm going to try and keep writing, but it just depends on where I am emotionally and what is going on in my son's treatment.

French Maiden, I am so very sorry to see this. There are no words for this type of news. Sending peace, prayers, and strength. :Hug2:

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden, there are no words. I am deeply sorry. I can't possibly imagine what you are going through right now, but I wish you all the very best, whatever that may be.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

* * *​

I have recently cracked my writer's block and have completed my 9th chapter and nearly my 10th. I have also completed the draft of my S&L short.

I will be taking some time out from writing soon as I get married on saturday and go on honeymoon in 2 weeks time.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score

FrenchMaiden, I am so so sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine how devastated you are. We're here for you to support you whenever you need it. My prayers are with you and your family <3

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I am so sorry, French Maiden. Like the others have said, we're all here if needed. Just give the word.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear that. I know that I can't be much help, but I had a bad health problem, and heard a lot of good things about black seed oil. I took it with olive oil and honey, and it helped a lot. I will pray for your son.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
THanks everyone, I appreciate all the thoughts and well wishes. Tomorrow Blake is being awarded the Lion's Children of Courage Award. We're very proud :)

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Aww, French Maiden, don't lose hope. Miracles happen. Keep praying. God always answers prayers. Most times he doesn't answer them the way we want him to, but he does. We will keep praying for your little angel.

The ticker in my sig? It's old. I finished that work and I'm 40,000 words in on the next one.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have a ton of assignments and projects from school, as well as several non-school related. I think I'll take a break for now, and hopefully get a lot of stuff done during the summer.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hitting the halfway point of my first draft :D halfway through my 12th chapter and I've already added some scenes that weren't supposed to exist!

As well as that, I have outlined the first few chapters of my WIP's sequel.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm hitting the halfway point of my first draft :D halfway through my 12th chapter and I've already added some scenes that weren't supposed to exist!

As well as that, I have outlined the first few chapters of my WIP's sequel.

I do that too. It is like going to a place you have heard about, planning what you do before you go. But then you change what you do once you're there because there is something else.

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
I do that too. It is like going to a place you have heard about, planning what you do before you go. But then you change what you do once you're there because there is something else.

Yeah. That.
I always take it as a sign that that's when the characters are starting to properly come alive, when they give my fantastically vague plotline the finger and set out on their own path. Of course, then it gets fun because I get to throw everything I can think of in their way and watch 'em struggle.
I'm a evil person. Anyways, keep up the good work JFitchett.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. That.
I always take it as a sign that that's when the characters are starting to properly come alive, when they give my fantastically vague plotline the finger and set out on their own path. Of course, then it gets fun because I get to throw everything I can think of in their way and watch 'em struggle.
I'm a evil person. Anyways, keep up the good work JFitchett.

My characters speak for themselves. Literally. Whatever I want them to say, you can guarantee they won't see it exactly the same way! It's the best feeling, and it really helps show how three-dimensional your characters are.

I finished chapter 12 at last, I am now just shy of my halfway point. I go on holiday this weekend coming so I'm taking a break from the novel and working on rewriting my S&L submission :)

Plus, I have the Maze Runner series to keep me busy on the flights and on the beach, and the Gone series for when I get back!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Gawd, I feel like I'm never ever going to be finished with the first draft of this manuscript. I'm more than 3/4 of the way there, I've got about 65K words. But the writing feels like I'm slogging through molasses.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
you guys are all awesome with your completed manuscripts and 20k marks!

I just got in my 1000 words today and feel like I'm finally finding my writing voice! Hooray! I'm hoping to hit my 20k in the next day or so. I'm at 18,892 right now, so I'm getting there! :)

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
ap123, I hit a slow point with my now-cooling manuscript about the 60k (out of 70k ish) word mark. For me, being a bona fide pantser, it was simply because I hadn't bothered thinking about the ending. What solved it for me was taking about a fortnight off and letting it come naturally to me. Just keep up the good fight and show those words who's boss.

measure in love, that's great. Took me a good couple of years to find my voice.

thepicpic out. Keep going, people.

judes

Registered
Reaction score
Gawd, I feel like I'm never ever going to be finished with the first draft of this manuscript. I'm more than 3/4 of the way there, I've got about 65K words. But the writing feels like I'm slogging through molasses.

I feel this way right now too. But I'm only around the first 1/4 of the novel, about 20K. Sigh. My MC is getting hard to motivate and I just want to grab her and scream.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I feel this way right now too. But I'm only around the first 1/4 of the novel, about 20K. Sigh. My MC is getting hard to motivate and I just want to grab her and scream.

Maybe some random person could do that in the book? A drunk or something, to set things in motion.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Do it.
Seriously. Write a scene. With you as the main protagonist. Grab your MC, shake her, and scream. I bet she'll yell right back at you. She might also tell you why she's stalling.
Just be warned: if she's anything like my MC, I'm afraid she'll also call you names in the process.
My first draft is full of scenes like that. They're either fun or embarrassing to read, depending on my mood, but they certainly helped me further the plot.
/delurk

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe it, but I finished the first draft.

Thanks to all who participate in this thread, I found it tremendously helpful; accountability without pressure.

Wheee!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.