The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looks like I'm gonna be taking a break from this thread for a while....finished the first draft of "The Angel of Death".
I had hoped it would reach 100,000 words, but it fell short by some distance. I tried to stretch it, but I knew that was the wrong thing to do. So, I've typed "The End" a few hours ago.

Gonna put it away for a month or so before tackling the second draft. Thanks to everyone on this thread - Ap123, Christina(the machine :) ), Anna, FrenchMaiden, Almond and all the others I'm failing to mention.

I'm not gonna leave you, I've just no need to post my progress for a while.

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for the kind words over the last number of weeks.

Congrats darl, what an achievment! Feel proud!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
((((((French Maiden)))))))

Having a child with a life threatening illness sucks, to say the least.

I'm glad you were able to do some writing, and that it felt good. <3

Sometimes you won't be able to write because of being consumed by what's going on with your son (emotionally and/or literally), but try to write when you can, because you still deserve to be you, and have your moments where and when you can.

Peace and Prayers,:Hug2:

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
It has been close to forever since I've written anything at all.
I find it really difficult on the lead up to my son's scans (which will predict our whole future) and on top of that I've had some major emotional obstacles to overcome. My friend's daughter passed away at age 13, after suffering 4 years with bone cancer. A friend's son relapsed with muscle cancer after 20 month of being in remission and my friend's 16 month old baby relapsed with leukemia. All I can say is cancer sucks, especially childhood cancer, which is what my son has.

So on a more positive note. I wrote, I actually put my fingers to the keys and typed out 950 words and it felt amazing.

You have my sympathies. Having been there myself (diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma late '11, given the all clear July last year) I know how rough it is. Good work on the writing though.

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
New to this challenge

i have a goal of getting to the end within 2 years - although i don't have a time limit on the writing of the first draft i am expecting 16 000 - 18 000 words and have written 2832

So 2832 /17000

it is getting difficult already

it's a semi autobiographical fantasy play
basic girl meets boy story - hoping to get enough interest in there to entertain for 90 minutes in the theatre

I think that doing something on the play first thing instead of going on the internet is a great aim

I would like to set myself a minimum of 1000 words every week - and hopefully get some courage to write a few thousand over the course of a week occasionally again in the not too distant future - if i can keep the ideas coming of course

research will still be a lot of the work of this - also reading watching and story planning counts as work

anything that gets me off my arse is great

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
French Maiden, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. Everything in life becomes more difficult in a situation like that.

Clouddog, welcome to the challenge. I hope it helps you complete your work.

My update: Finished chapter 11. Expect to polish off chapter 12 by the end of the weekend. That will get me to the one-third mark on the manuscript.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
So I've just drafted my sixth chapter ^_^ going to try and draft and seventh tomorrow, as they interlink.

I have decided that instead of reworking and editing this copy of the manuscript, I am going to rewrite it. So I am currently writing the skeleton of the manuscript, adding in all the details, conversations and events, but leaving the real polish until the rewrite.

This should hopefully speed up my writing since I won't be spending weeks on a chapter, but mere days, or even hours!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I get a bit stir-crazy when scans are getting close.

I've written another 2000 words. By golly it feels good to be writing again.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
French Maiden

I want you to know I believe you are the best medicine for your son's pain because you are the greatest mother ever and I'm sure if you asked him he'd tell you how amazing your love and devotion makes him feel. I never lose hope there's going to be cure for cancer and your son will eventually, when that time comes, live the life he deserves.

I am 53,000 words in and I've met my goal of 5k words a day. I realized how utterly unrealistic a goal of 10,000 words a day was. I am working on some fan fiction also, but I abandon it for like 3 days and then make up for it by writing 3 new chapters in one day so I never fall behind. :)

If I keep going at this pace, by Mar. 15 I expect to be at 100k words on the first draft. I always need a lot of words to get the story down, so wish me luck. The title of this story has also changed to That's What Love Can Do inspired by a Christina-Aguilera song that I was listening to yesterday while I was waiting for my bus to come and pick me up at my house to take me to the dollar store. It's gonna be fun. When I finish the 2nd installment for this series, I'm going to leave it alone for a while to get back to those 2 works I left unfinished. One of them is going to be 70,000 words, first draft and the other one, I have no idea how long it's going to be because I am writing the first draft by hand. I will figure out the word count when I write it up on the word processor.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Krystal thats really sweet.
He had his 6th birthday party last night. It was a star wars themed party at an arcade.
He often tells me I'm the best Mummy in hte world. Simply because I can draw a picture, or bake a cake, or wash his clothes. But it means so much to hear him say it.

Congrats on the words.

In 2 days I've done nearly 5000 words. I'm feeling very pleased with this.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
See? He already knows you're the best mommy in the world, so you know how happy you make him. Not every mother in this world can say that. The fact he appreciates something you do for him as simple as washing his clothes, that says that he has a great heart because most kids think their parents have to wash their clothes and cook for them. Your son is an angel. I wish you the best.

Hoping to get to 60,000 words tonight. Currently at a little over 55,000.

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden- let us know how the scans go. God knows they aren't especially pleasant (my particular 'favourite' was the PT scan), but you never know- it could be good news. I've always been sceptical about the power of positive thinking, but my mother found it comforting during my fight.

Welcome to the fray, clouddog. Good luck.

Well, having had no internet for the past three days, I haven't even been able to do uni work, so I had no distractions. As such... I finished my novel. First draft, at any rate. but finished.
Going cold turkey on AW though... *shudders* It's good to be back.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden- let us know how the scans go. God knows they aren't especially pleasant (my particular 'favourite' was the PT scan), but you never know- it could be good news. I've always been sceptical about the power of positive thinking, but my mother found it comforting during my fight.

Finally. Someone who thinks the same as I do!! I believe in being realisticaly optomistic. I can have hope, but I know and ready myself to the fact that our chances arent great, far from great, actually.

Another 1000 words last night and yet to do my session tonight. The boys are about to go to bed, so as soon as they're asleep my session shall begin.

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
French Maiden, wishing you lots of words and lots of luck for the little fellow. My husband goes in for his second chemo treatment on Friday--the waiting is the second worst. Not being able to take the whole thing on for them is absolutely the worst. Don't forget to look after yourself too.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Obc. Good luck to you and your husband on his treatment.

I found chemo very reasuring, yes it made my little man sick, but it was active treatment and there was something working to keep the monster at bay. Not that it did much, but it was more psychological.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
60,000 words in. Wow, 7,000 words in three days, compared to what I usually do, I've been working slow on this one.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I only did 400 words tonight. But I did shift a couple things around and change a couple little things.

I'm off to start a new book I've been waiting 3 weeks for!

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Mainly typed today (and queried more agents for a previous project), but finished chapters 12 and 13 over the past three days, so that could be worse!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Another 2000 words today. I managed to write while the boys were outside playing with the dog. Over summer it was almost impossible to write while they were awake for it was just too hot for them to be outside. But now the weather is cooling down again, it's lovely.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just under 1/3rd of the way through my first draft, having finished my draft of chapter seven yesterday :) I added some little things here and there, but I'm saving most of the fancy detail for my rewrite.

Currently lost in a book called Metropolitan, which is slowing down my writing :p But I'm hoping to get back on track soon!

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
So I haven't been around in a while, but I have been writing lately, which is good, I suppose. =)

Currently at 65 K for my novel. I originally thought it would be done by 80 K, but now I'm thinking it'll be finished around 100 K. I'm going to be rewriting this anyways, so I'm not really concerned about much besides just getting my ideas out.

Written 560 words so far, but hopefully I'll bump that number up to at least 3 K by the end of the day. I've just had a busy day so far. Since I'm on spring break, I've been trying to write as much as possible, because without school, I have SO much extra time.

JBClemmens

Patient Seahorse
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write anything right now. Thoughts and prayers for French Maiden's son are uppermost in my mind. I'm in a research phase and will begin my sixth book when I'm compelled to.

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
810 more words and I'll be at 10k.

Keep going- give those words what for!

Almondjoy, keep up the good work.

As for me... well, I have the internet (and thus can freely feed my AW addiction freely) back. Finished the full rough draft of my novel (might have mentioned it already. Alas, memory eludes me) and have been letting it simmer while I work out why I don't much like the last chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.