The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
12,000 a day :O That is impressive! I could only dream of having the time to write that much!

I imagine you must be frustrated being so close? I'm frustrated being so far away! And as it's Feb 9th, I guess a happy birthday is in order for your nephew :)

I just made my MC pay for all of his misdeeds. He got his punishment, so he's going to be tamed. He's not going to be as wild as he used to. That was the climax, I already worked on the falling action and now I'm working on the resolution. I decided to add 40,000 words when I'm done, but I'll add them in the chapters where Shane hadn't appeared, Adam's older brother. I did it before with another novel this happened to me with, adding a character and making him or her as important as the others and then having to add to the draft, and it turned out great because my primary beta loves it. From now on I'm going to make outlines just saying who the most important, supporting and minor characters are and what their roles are in the story, so this never happens to me again. Yeah, my characters nag me to write what they wanna do, all the time, and that's why I can't stop writing. 58,000/60,000 words as of this moment.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hello JFitchett, and etcetc. Welcome!

Christina, a lot of my 2nd drafts involve weaving in new elements or scenes, though I haven't added in a new primary character.

Not a great writing day, about 300 words. But something is something, right?

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score

Christina, a lot of my 2nd drafts involve weaving in new elements or scenes, though I haven't added in a new primary character.

300 words is better than nothing!! It's definitely something. =)

I managed to write 1,700 words today and spent a large portion of today finding some new writing music. So, at least now I have a few more playlists to better match the scenes that I'm writing. ;)

I'm really thrilled that I'm getting back into writing. Even with only writing a little per day, I feel like I'm accomplishing something with my writing, no matter the crappy quality.

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Ohh I want to join in.

Working title: Song in My Heart
Word count so far: ~2000/80000
Goal: At least 100 a day, but preferably 500

AW is my main addiction right now so this may be heard to break. Wish me luck!

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

I decided not to add new scenes after all, unless my beta tells me there's a plot hole that needs fixing. I realize not all important characters appear at the very beginning. All of a sudden a character that was never there saves the MC's life and instantly becomes an important character because the MC keeps him or her in his or her life. :) I'm going to let it rest for a while, write the second installment, make a few revisions and then send it to a beta.

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh I want to join in.

Working title: Song in My Heart
Word count so far: ~2000/80000
Goal: At least 100 a day, but preferably 500

AW is my main addiction right now so this may be heard to break. Wish me luck!

Good luck! A lot of the problems I have with writing is just getting BIC and cranking out those words. I normally have to close down the AW tab to actually get some words written.

So I took a break from some of my homework and wrote a small 650 words. Hopefully, I'll have more time today to write, but for now, it's back to the homework.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
After taking a week out to simmer over my first chapter, a quick re-edit has helped it flow better. My first chapter now sits at 4,250 words, and I am thinking of cutting part of it and making it a prologue.

My second chapter is complete, but again, I am simmering. I always find that I can rewrite things better than I can write them. It currently sits at 2,500 words, but I plan to bump it up to 3,250 minimum.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
I'm back for the afternoon. Life is insane and I haven't had two minutes to rub together in weeks. As a mental breakdown approached, my lovely husband gave me an extra day off this week to try and settle down into my skin again. Back to editing.

Glad to see you all progressing. :)

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
I finished this round of edits on Giraffe in a bundle of tears. What a heart wrenching story this is, at least for me, the writer. I hadn't read or worked on this in so long, I forgot how profoundly sad it is.

But as to the progress:
WIP: Giraffe
Goal: 1Submitted by Feb. 28th
Current Word Count: 13,023
Daily Goal: Edit and add 60 words/day

I'm dropping the word goal of 15,000 words. It's hovering at 13,023 right now and I think if I were to try and cram another two thousand in there it will do nothing but make it long-winded. Maybe my beta's will find some gaps to fill when they take a look at it, but as it stands I think the story is complete.

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
My goal for the week was to hit the 5000 mark. Since I am only at around 3500 and it's Thursday I'm not sure I will make it.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Life has been kind of sucky, making it really hard to do more than sweat out a couple of hundred crappy words on the WIP, which is a romance.

Instead of not writing, I started and finished the first draft of a short story, which did not require a HEA mindset.

feeling quite pleased with myself at the moment.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Been radio silent for a while because the real world has done its level best to distract me.

But I'm back on track now, 3000 words this week putting me at 58,000. It's lookin' good.

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of us had real life problems this week! Myself included. School decided to get a bit crazy, and I've had some issues with that. But now that it's the weekend, I plan to crank out some words and really get back on track!

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of us had real life problems this week! Myself included. School decided to get a bit crazy, and I've had some issues with that. But now that it's the weekend, I plan to crank out some words and really get back on track!

Nice to know I'm not the only one where real life has effected my writing this week. Chronic migraines suck especially when the prescription I take for it doesn't seem to be working.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
Chronic migraines suck especially when the prescription I take for it doesn't seem to be working.
Wow, I feel your pain. I get migraines about twice a year and I dread them so much. Hang in there!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
It's been so long since I checked in with all you good people.
I feel really bad, it's been over a month now since I wrote a single word.

The new school year started this month and I am now Homeschooling my eldest son due to his medical needs and time he needs to take off for them.

I have been reading a lot, so I guess it's not all waisted time. I counted up and since Jan 1st I've read 24 books. 90% of which are in the UF/PNR genre, which is the genre I write.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing to update in wordcount right now, I hate seeing so many of us having a rough stretch in the rest of life. :(

Nice to know I'm not the only one where real life has effected my writing this week. Chronic migraines suck especially when the prescription I take for it doesn't seem to be working.

Chronic migraines do suck. As an FYI, my daughter's neuromuscular dr added massive daily doses of riboflavin (in addition to the rest of her mountain of meds) to help with intractable migraines. Not a cure-all, but when added to the prescription stuff it helped break the cycle of back to back migraines.

It's been so long since I checked in with all you good people.
I feel really bad, it's been over a month now since I wrote a single word.

The new school year started this month and I am now Homeschooling my eldest son due to his medical needs and time he needs to take off for them.

I have been reading a lot, so I guess it's not all waisted time. I counted up and since Jan 1st I've read 24 books. 90% of which are in the UF/PNR genre, which is the genre I write.

Hi French Maiden! Good to see you check in, I'm sending good thoughts for you and yours.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

I haven't been here for a few days.

Last time I was here I was working on my first attempt at YA. I started it in Feb. 4, 2013 and finished it in Feb. 8, 2012. That was writing it at 12,000 words a day. I am letting the first draft sit for a month or so.

My other project was standing at 33,111 words, but I don't remember exactly when it was that I took it over again, maybe Monday or Tuesday, and since then, it's increased to 72,600 words. I was looking to do 10,000 words a day on that one, but I got sidetracked because I was tired, so I aspire to do 75,000 words before I go to sleep tonight for good. I went to take a nap at 6:15 PM and I woke up 11:07 PM. :) So I'm going to write until I get tired again. I am going to try to do 10,000 a day again starting tomorrow and if by tomorrow I can't do it, I'll go back to only doing 5,000 words a day. First draft I want to get 140,000 words down. Pretty close to the ending.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Good god Christina, I do believe you may well be (at the very least) some sort of writing demi-goddess.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I second that.
On a good day, the most I can pull off nears 4k.:e2writer:

I'd be happy with 1,000 a day :S

Nothing has really changed, I'm still sat at just under 8,000 words HOWEVER I have discovered Evernote and I'm loving it! Finally getting my notes down and setting my plot in stone.

Will be drafting my third chapter soon, have some friends double-checking my second so I'll be doing some rough editing of that soon. Also working on chapter-by-chapter storyboarding, which is helping a big deal.

Still keeping my November goal, however I may drop my word count depending on how the story goes.

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
Current progress on short story WIP: 4,351 words. 398 words, and getting a lot more comfortable with 3rd person limited. Yay!

It ain't just capping at the short story length of 7,400-7,500 words, I feel. Whether it ends up a novelette or a novella is still up in the air. All I know is that I'm enjoying myself. And so are my characters, haha. :)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't checked in for a long while! I've hit 65,000 words and I'm struggling badly. it's like late-onset 'mid-novel blues'. Everything is horrible and flat, I hate my writing (I still love my characters and idea, though) and there's a newer, shinier idea that keeps insisting I write it. 200-500 words a day is about as much as I've been able to muster for the last week and a half.Must. Stay. Strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.