The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to join in here, I'm also hoping this will increase my accountability. :)

WIP: Frag Hag
Goal: 85,000 words by June 1.
Current: 11,400 words
Daily goal: Still squishy at the moment, trying to get back into the discipline.

This morning I did some plotting/planning for the next two chapters.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Christina how do you handle the size of a netpad, arent they the really little notebooks?

I suffer from RSI in my wrists, predominantly my right, but often both, I've got my mother's wrists unfortunatelly and they are really crappy and weak and I find writing, on anything other than a proper keyboard, for long periods of time is really difficult and becomes painful.

Good luck with your goad of 12k.

---

I managed another 1020 words tonight.

My MMC and FMC are just about to head out and start their adventures together with MMC's Band of Brothers, it's very exciting. They've all just been banished by the king for breaking the most sacred law. Eek, fun!

I'm finding winging it is much more enjoyable than having it all hashed out. I'm loving it all coming together before my very eyes.

At first I thought I wouldn't be able to use a netbook. Yes, they really are little notebooks. I'm going to show you a pic of mine from the internet. Here you go. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting the link.

pd

My laptop broke down 2 years ago, my 15", and I had to borrow a netbook because that was all my friend had that she wasn't using, and I found out that from the first use, it was actually easier to type because the keys are closer together. Thankfully I don't have any wrist problems or anything, so it's easier for me. The resolution's pretty good, too. I can see the letters in all programs even better than on a laptop because the letters in websites and word processors in laptops are smaller and I always have to zoom everything to 120%, and in this netbook, the only thing I have to zoom to 120% is my manuscript because TNR is really small, even in size 12, on 100% zoom both in Word and in WordPad. 4,000-ish words so far, and I'm not going to sleep early tonight because I don't have to get up early tomorrow, so I am expecting a long night of writing. :) I randomly gave my MC an identical twin brother that's going to make my villain suffer even more, and I like the direction this story is going in, so I'm having fun.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Welcome gell and ap123 :)

I'm at 11,500 words. School holidays are killing me, between the guilt of being the most boring mother ever while I write, and the kids interrupting every five minutes. I got about 600 words down yesterday, which is double my minimum goal, so I'm happy with that for now.

I did realise I've introduced a character too early in the story, so I'll need to do some rewriting there.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
49,221 out of an intended total of 54,000 words so far. :Thumbs: It's not how fast I type at all. 30 wpm, no, it's about my characters. They tell me what to write. I just obey.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Started at 42,127 words. Currently at 51,914 words. I won't have to pull an all-nighter tonight after all. :hooray:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome gell and ap123 :)

I'm at 11,500 words. School holidays are killing me, between the guilt of being the most boring mother ever while I write, and the kids interrupting every five minutes. I got about 600 words down yesterday, which is double my minimum goal, so I'm happy with that for now.

I did realise I've introduced a character too early in the story, so I'll need to do some rewriting there.

Tell me about it, I'd love to write during the day, but it's just not at all possible.
I took the little darlings to the fun Factory today and then out to Hog's Breath for lunch. I was feeling guilty about being so dull. I'd much rather stay at home and chill then go out anywhere.

'grats on the 600.

---

Welcome ap123 & good luck with your goals.

---

Christina, I've got a similar netbook, I think mine is an Acer. I had to use it while my son was having treatment fopr a year back in 2010, it was convenient at the time but I'm glad it's not needed anymore.

I'm glad you like yours, and it works to your needs.

Tonights goals - hoping to move my characters out of the village and get them into the big scary outside world.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
I loved my netbook. So much. But when I was pregnant I was clumsy (more than normal) and dropped a bottle of water on it and it died. My in laws gave me another one, but it only had demo programs, and now all of hem have expired so it's only useful as a web-surfer.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I loved my netbook. So much. But when I was pregnant I was clumsy (more than normal) and dropped a bottle of water on it and it died. My in laws gave me another one, but it only had demo programs, and now all of hem have expired so it's only useful as a web-surfer.

My youngest son spilled a cup of warm Milo on my netbook, I was like a ninja and saved it, all the warm chocolaty milk ran out of it. I tipped it upseide down and dried it out over night in front of a fan. I was so fortunate that it didnt ruin it permanantly. The touch mouse doesnt work anymore, but I always prefered plugging a USB mouse in anyway.

As for the programs, I'm sure you can download them and get the product keys from online.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
Somewhere in this hovel, I have programs on a cd and a portable cd reader for the netbook so I could install full versions... it's just a matter of finding them.

Heartburn and heartache have me up tonight, so thought I'd go through another couple pages of the wip. I don't know if I really like it at this point - but that may just be a symptom of not liking anything. LOL. We just found out our refinance on our house has been declined so our payment won't be reducing like we had hoped. We really could have used the extra wiggle room. Ah, debt.

WIP: Giraffe
Goal: 15,000 words & submitted by Feb. 28th
Current Word Count: 11,952
Daily Goal: Edit and add 60 words/day

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in this hovel, I have programs on a cd and a portable cd reader for the netbook so I could install full versions... it's just a matter of finding them.

It's in a safe place is it? :)
It's always in the last place you look, you'll find it eventually.

---

Tonight I've added another 860. It got quite exciting and I had to stop to swivel in my chair and rub my hands together furiously. Nervous tension and antisipation seeping from my fingertips.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Working on an erotica novella inspired by my characters from My Wife's Brother. I figured if I worked on two stories that had the same characters in them I wouldn't get sucked into one of them and wind up abandoning the other one like I always seem to do. I have no idea how many words I have because I'm typing it on Notepad.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, Anna and French Maiden :)
And Anna, I totally get the boring mom dilemma. I've been trying to write with one eye on my sick girl this morning. Sigh. Not as productive as I'd hoped, but I did produce 800 words.

WIP: Frag Hag
Goal: 85,000 words by June 1.
Current: 12,200 words
Daily goal: Still squishy at the moment, trying to get back into the discipline.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Tell me about it, I'd love to write during the day, but it's just not at all possible.
I took the little darlings to the fun Factory today and then out to Hog's Breath for lunch. I was feeling guilty about being so dull. I'd much rather stay at home and chill then go out anywhere.

'grats on the 600.

I took mine to a play centre on Wednesday and let them loose while I wrote.

The writing came out like "PLEASE STOP YELLING WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING OH GOD HELP ME" so it wasn't ideal ;)

Hope your daughter feels better soon ap123!

I have a morning off today so heading out to a cafe to do some people watching and note taking.

gell214

Registered
Reaction score
The writing came out like "PLEASE STOP YELLING WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING OH GOD HELP ME" so it wasn't ideal ;)

:roll:

I don't have kids yet so I don't know what it's like. But I'm sure you guys are great moms as well writers :)

Update:
WIP: Gates (Working title)
Genre: Fantasy
Current word count: 7k/50k
Daily goal: 2k words/ day

Finished Ch 3-8 today. I've been productive! *Hoping it doesn't pass...

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I decided to make a few changes to what I was writing and merge it onto my main manuscript because I tried to write what I was writing, and while there is an outlet for it, and only one, I can't bring myself to write that yet. I changed the MC's boyfriend's age to solve the problem. Exactly. While other authors don't have a problem with writing that, it makes me cringe.

Currently standing at 60,800 words of the 54,000 I started with. I'm going to try to do a little more, although not exactly 6,000 more. We'll see. It's already 5:09 PM EST.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Update:

It's 9:08 PM EST and I am currently at 64,139 words. I've been distracted. I admit I could've been done ages ago, but as long as I don't have to be up all night, everything will be OK because the thing is I have to get up tomorrow morning at 7:00 and if I want to be well-rested, I have to go to bed at midnight, at the latest, but the 1800 words I still have to do won't take me 2 hours and 51 minutes. :)

Christina.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Oh hand written, I havnt hand written any large chunk of writing since I was 15, there is something really personal about it. I cant do it any more though, my hand writing starts out nice and lovely but after a couple hundred words it goes to sh!t.

It's 6.30pm here on the west coast and I'm about to put these boys to bed. In about 2 hours I'll get writing.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hand written, I havnt hand written any large chunk of writing since I was 15, there is something really personal about it. I cant do it any more though, my hand writing starts out nice and lovely but after a couple hundred words it goes to sh!t.

Same here, I get pains in my hand from writing too fast, then my writing turns into scribbles and more scribbles.

Only discovered this thread, If it's okay with everyone I might join in, I need something to keep the pressure on me.

My aim is to finish the first draft of my WIP by 11th march. I abandoned it the last few months due to self-publishing my first novel, and then I had a crazy time over xmas at work. So, starting from last monday 7th Jan, I want to write 7,700 words a week to reach 100,000. (If the story can naturally handle that length)

So far this week, I've 7,000 words written...nearly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.